Options

Customized HDRIs

edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
edited June 23, 2008 in Finishing School
I've been playing around in Photoshop CS3, making my own abstract HDR images. I'm not a photograher; my only experience with HDR has been to provide natural lighting for my 3d renderings. But I understand what they're about, and how they're made. I'm not using a camera, by the way, just creating a sequence of 16-bit images running from light to dark, then blending them into a HDR and saving in Radiance format.

So my question for you photographers: when I use the Merge to HDR command, it asks me to Manually Set EV and gives me a default setting of 0. What's actually involved here? I've entered values into the box for each of the prepared images, not really knowing what I'm doing, and the final result has been pretty useful for lighting purposes, but I'd like to have some actual information to guide me.

What's up with that?
There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
—Korzybski

Comments

• Options
    nvisiblephotonvisiblephoto Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    edgework wrote:
    I've been playing around in Photoshop CS3, making my own abstract HDR images. I'm not a photograher; my only experience with HDR has been to provide natural lighting for my 3d renderings. But I understand what they're about, and how they're made. I'm not using a camera, by the way, just creating a sequence of 16-bit images running from light to dark, then blending them into a HDR and saving in Radiance format.

So my question for you photographers: when I use the Merge to HDR command, it asks me to Manually Set EV and gives me a default setting of 0. What's actually involved here? I've entered values into the box for each of the prepared images, not really knowing what I'm doing, and the final result has been pretty useful for lighting purposes, but I'd like to have some actual information to guide me.

What's up with that?

EV is your exposure value. Basically 0 is a properly exposed image, a dark image 2 stops lower would be -2 and 2 stops brighter would be 2.
    Unique. Artistic. Unconventional.
    http://www.NVisiblePhoto.com
  • Options
    JH-PhotoJH-Photo Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    hey edgework,

if you want, i can provide you 3 pictures with difference AV times,
    which are needed for HDR or DRI composations.

than you can try it by yourself to load them together into one HDR.

my personal opinion for nice skylines or something like that, is to use the DRI technic.

the pics are more colorfull, but are looking more natural as well.
    HDRs are a bit looking like Fiscus Style (my opinion)

best regards
    JH-Photo