Options

New Here... would love some feedback :)

RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
edited October 23, 2007 in Technique
Hello everyone... 1st post here, so go easy ;)

I wasn't too sure where to post this at first, but perhaps "Technique" is what I'm trying to master...so why not?....

A brief blurb about myself... 26 yrs old, and pretty much a photography noob... I've always like photography and have been using my point-and-shoot in MANUAL mode for a long time, and have always like the results far better than on AUTO mode :) I'm new to the DSLR thing, and just starting out with a Nikon D40 (w kit lens)...I also purchased a VR Nikkor 55-200 4.5f lens.....I haven't figured out what i like shooting best yet, so for now i'm shooting everything :)

NOt sure what else to say, but more things will come to mind ...I'm sure.

I guess I'll end this by showing some photos i took... I've had the dslr for about 2 weeks now and i'm just playing around with all the setting:

SOme C&C is appreciated...I'd love to hear feedback as i have no idea what i'm doing right or wrong or what can make some of my photos better,

None of these have been photoshopped, only cropped... enjoy...

...and i guess the next thing to do would be to get a smugmug account... this flickr thing only lets me have 3 sets :(

1683453472_067d6de1e9_o.jpg
Exposure: 28 sec (28) Aperture: f/11 Focal Length: 55 mm ISO Speed: 800 Exposure Bias: 0/6 EVWhite Balance: INCANDESCENT

1682600259_b2fbbc3629_o.jpg
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500) Aperture: f/5.6 Focal Length: 200 mm ISO Speed: 200 Exposure Bias: 0/6 EVWhite Balance: AUTO

1682597241_2c6015e12f.jpg

Exposure: 10 sec (10) Aperture: f/11 Focal Length: 55 mm ISO Speed: 800 Exposure Bias: 0/6 EVWhite Balance: INCANDESCENT

1683446400_3ceaf3f6c5.jpg
Exposure: 0.067 sec (1/15) Aperture: f/5.6 Focal Length: 200 mm ISO Speed: 800 Exposure Bias: 0/6 EVWhite Balance: AUTO

1683438722_bf750f3bed.jpg
Exposure: 0.2 sec (1/5) Aperture: f/4.2 Focal Length: 75 mm ISO Speed: 400 Exposure Bias: 0/6 EVWhite Balance: AUTO

1683040930_ef0a0c4ac5.jpg
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/400) Aperture: f/5.6 Focal Length: 55 mm ISO Speed: 200 Exposure Bias: 0/6 EVWhite Balance: SUNNY

1683054520_3ab55d6fac.jpg
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/320) Aperture: f/5.6 Focal Length: 55 mm ISO Speed: 200 Exposure Bias: 0/6 EVWhite Balance: CLOUDY

Comments

• Options
    rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Hi Raphy, and welcome!

Congrats on your DSLR purchase, you're gonna love it:D And if you were shotting on Manual with your P&S, that should translate right over to the D40. Based on these shots, it looks like you're off to a good start!

Since you asked for C&C, I'll mention a few things.

#1 - I think I would crop off the bottom, and possible the top too, and make it a landscape shot. One thing that I've heard about cropping that I like to keep in mind, is that if it doesn't add to your shot, then get rid of it. In this case, the beach on the bottom doesn't really seem to add anything, and it almost takes away from the water.

#2 - Nice! I like the crop on this one, which of course goes against what I just said for #1, but I guess that just shows that rules are meant to be brokenmwink.gif

#3 - "Watch your corners" is another good thing to keep in mind for cropping/composing.

#5 - Looks a bit yellow... this might be a good place to try a custom white ballance if you haven't yet. Check your D40 manual if you're not sure how to do it.

#6 and 7 - Nice! Good job with the panning, it's hard to tell for sure with that size, but it looks like you hit it right on. My only comment would be that it's generally best to give a moving person/thing room to move within the frame. In other words, if the object is moving to the right, try to place it on the left of the frame so it doesn't look like it is moving out of the picture. Same goes for people looking in one direction or another.

All in all, nice set! Keep posting!
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2007
    RUstic - thanks a lot for your feedback !!! much appreciated!
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2007
    67 views and only one reply? .... don't be shy, you won't hurt my feelings... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Little TLittle T Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    High there Raphy grats on the DSLR purchase, i hope you enjoy it as much as i have. Seeing as how i just started using one about 5 months ago.

You got a great set of pictures there, IMO i would crop the darker foreground out on #1 but i like the sky it looks great.

As for # 4 its an interesting shot what exactly are those things lol... Pullstrings for a ceiling fan or something? Be cool if you got another shot of just one of them filling the picture more instead of trying to get all of them.

Oh and get used to the delay on responses... Seems they are a little slow around here sometimes i got a post with about 180 views and 2 replies :cry

Oh well keep it up hope you enjoy it around here.
    http://jtrankler.smugmug.com
    jtrankler@gmail.com
    Canon 60D
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    Canon 70-200 F4 L IS
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2007