Options

Need advice: strobe radio remotes (for Alien Bees)

studio girlstudio girl Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited February 25, 2011 in Accessories
I would like to purchase a radio remote for my Rebel XTi 400D which is best place to go and purchase and can i get one for my lighting setup. I have the alienBees 3 4oo's and one 800.
Canon EOS 40D / EF 28-135 ; EFS 18-55 Lens /Canon Speedlite 580EX .
http://studiogirl.smugmug .com/:thumb

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    check out b&H photo.......not a local in the metropolis of T-Town with radio slaves???

Also might be ab;e to get what you need off ebay also....there are spme reputable dealers there also
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 22, 2007
    Hi Studio Girl,
    I edited your title a bit to reflect what you were looking for. If you don't get enough advice over here, becaue people are just looking to buy or sell, I'll move you over the gear discussion forum.

thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    I bought the remote from Alien Bees.. it's been great. Prior to that I had a cheapy. It worked okay too.

Scott

I would like to purchase a radio remote for my Rebel XTi 400D which is best place to go and purchase and can i get one for my lighting setup. I have the alienBees 3 4oo's and one 800.
  • Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    I'd vouch for the elinchrom skyports. Works great everytime. Only issue I have is it doesnt synch faster than 200 on my D80.

Alex
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • Options
    jhilmanjhilman Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 23, 2007
    I've been pretty happy with my Microsync's. They're not as flexible as PW's in that you can't set up different channel groups and such, but if you're just using them for studio work, you wouldn't need that functionality anyway. I love the transmitter as it's VERY small and I don't bang it around like I did with my el-cheapo ebay radio
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2007
    Brand
    I bought the remote from Alien Bees.. it's been great. Prior to that I had a cheapy. It worked okay too.

Scott
    What brand did you purchase from Alien Bees?
  • Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    a link for you:

http://www.alienbees.com/remotes.html

The $39.95 ones.

You will need a receiver for each light only if you are shooting around more photographers. If not get one receiver and one transmitter. You can set the other Alien Bees to slave.
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2007
    I have the Gadget Infinity version of the Alienbee remotes. They are $25 for both the transmitter and reciever. They worked well. But I recently upgraded and bought the Elinchrom Skyports ($186). I wrote a review here. With my D50, I could sync to 1/800 and sometime 1/1000. The sync speed for radio remotes actually is dependent on the type of shutter your camera has, not the listed camera sync speed. Mycrosync remotes only go to 1/180th and pochet wizards somewhere around 1/200th. There is an excellent roundup of the avaiable remote systems in Shutterbug this month.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 23, 2007
    Great comments everyone - but as this has turned into a full out discussion, I'm moving it over to the gear discussion forum.

Studio girl, come on back to the market when you know what you're looking for (bet you didn't think there were so many options? lol3.gif)

thanks wave.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    Bought New Radio Remote
    deal.gifdeal.gif Hey guys! I purchased the Smith Victor RTK4 4 channel radio trigger kit, it has a 5 star rating . I hope i didn't make a mistake. It was only $79.00. Bought it from Adorama Camera it has a 5 star rating!. It'll be here by the end of the week.

Thanks for everyones help . Always needed!
  • Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Main difference I see between the one you bought and the one that Alien Bees offers is the requirement of the 2 AA batteries. The transmitter on the AB's is in line with the plug and does not require a battery.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 25, 2007
    Let us know how it works out.

Radio triggers come up on occasion with the Pocket Wizards being upwards
    of $$$ each, knowing you can find something that's reliable and affordable is
    pretty cool.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Let us know how it works out.

Radio triggers come up on occasion with the Pocket Wizards being upwards
    of $$$ each, knowing you can find something that's reliable and affordable is
    pretty cool.

I'll let you know ! It should be here today or Sat. OOOOOOweeee it's here the ups guy just walked in yahoooooo!.:ivar
  • Options
    haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    I'll let you know ! It should be here today or Sat. OOOOOOweeee it's here the ups guy just walked in yahoooooo!.:ivar

how about the CyberSync ones? Good, bad?