Options

Under 10 girls soccer

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited February 27, 2005 in Sports
Took a long lens out this weekend to my daughter's soccer game. Any thoughts on these pics?

mitch

Game Faces

Comments

• Options
    edited February 23, 2005
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    These are great.. Love the intense faces in the first one.. Did your daughter score? I still look back at your "Blue" pictures and if I were judging I'd have picked it..
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Nice work, Mitchell. I can't see anything wrong with those images. Even the bokeh is nice and smooth. Very nice captures. Are you related to one or more of the girls?

bokeh bokeh bokeh bokeh...i like that word. hekob hekob hekob hekob...even looks cool backwards.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    These are great.. Love the intense faces in the first one.. Did your daughter score? I still look back at your "Blue" pictures and if I were judging I'd have picked it..
    Thank you for your kind comments. Quite honestly, I didn't think much of my challenge entry compared to the others.

mitch
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Nice work, Mitchell. I can't see anything wrong with those images. Even the bokeh is nice and smooth. Very nice captures. Are you related to one or more of the girls?
    The girl with the curly hair on the right is my daughter. The second picture really captures the intensity with which she plays. My favorite comment from her when she saw the pic was "Do I really look that tough when I play?" She did score that game but not on that particular series.

mitch
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    Keep shooting and showingthumb.gif I know I will clog the forums with Baseball pics come this spring.
    Your pictures look very sharp.
    Well doneclap.gif
    Tim
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    Shakey wrote:
    Keep shooting and showingthumb.gif I know I will clog the forums with Baseball pics come this spring.
    Your pictures look very sharp.
    Well doneclap.gif
    Tim
    I don't know how these came out in focus at all. I was hand holding a 210mm on the other side of the field. Better to be lucky than good. My next purchase is going to be a decent monopod.

mitch
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 24, 2005
    Lookin good Mitch ^5
    These are very good thumb.gif

As 4labs mentions, the girls definitely have their "game faces" on, in the first pic....lol The second one has the action coming towards the viewer. Very kewl clap.gif

I agree with Tim (I also hope to give him a run for his money on posting baseball pics ;-). Keep shooting and posting your results here.

Thanks for sharing these,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    Two great images. I mean from a exposure, shot composition perpective, I wouldnt change much of anything. The first one has a nice tight crop, and there faces are great.
    The 2nd on great action the only thing i would of done differently is I would just crop it tighter on the ball carrier since the 2nd person really doesnt add to much to the image. If she was closer or about to slide tackle or play D, but she is a good couple steps behind persuing...does that make sense.

Keep it up, and you already got the first thing i say...faces faces faces.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    winger wrote:
    Two great images. I mean from a exposure, shot composition perpective, I wouldnt change much of anything. The first one has a nice tight crop, and there faces are great.
    The 2nd on great action the only thing i would of done differently is I would just crop it tighter on the ball carrier since the 2nd person really doesnt add to much to the image. If she was closer or about to slide tackle or play D, but she is a good couple steps behind persuing...does that make sense.

Keep it up, and you already got the first thing i say...faces faces faces.
    Thanks for the encouragement! I left the opponent in the crop on the second shot for selfish reasons. I liked the contrast between my daughter's aggressive look and her opponent's look of resignation. Am I reading too much into this??ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    dawsondawson Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    Equipment?
    thumb.gif Good shots I would be very proud of them if they were mine. What is your setup?
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    dawson wrote:
    thumb.gif Good shots I would be very proud of them if they were mine. What is your setup?
    Thanks for the compliment.

I took these with a Nikon D70 and a 70-210mm zoom at 210mm.

mitch
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    Thanks for the encouragement! I left the opponent in the crop on the second shot for selfish reasons. I liked the contrast between my daughter's aggressive look and her opponent's look of resignation. Am I reading too much into this??ne_nau.gif
    Possibly, but i get attached to pictures too so i know how it is. But once I got over that, I crop like a mad woman ( I will evne crop appendages of now too!!!!)

I am so glad spring sprots are starting soon. Yeah to natual light!!!!!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    winger wrote:
    Possibly, but i get attached to pictures too so i know how it is. But once I got over that, I crop like a mad woman ( I will evne crop appendages of now too!!!!)

nod.gif Knowhatcha mean. Every sport shot I've ever kept has been cropped, often severely. I'm going through shots of my first boxing shoot - out come the scissors, snip, snip snip - they gotta fill the screen with action, IMHO.

I suppose that if I practice enough, have the right lens, and get the right spot, I'll be able get the moment and fill the frame - not there yet. :cry
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    Advice from Canon soccer shooter Nill Toulme (canon lnes forum, dpreview)

Face, Action, Ball, Contact

Shoot tight, Crop tighter

I try to make that my mantra, but every once in a while do something goofy like include the crowd behind for context.

ann
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    Good one, Ann. Of all of them face is the most important. Eyes open, if at all possible. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Advice from Canon soccer shooter Nill Toulme (canon lnes forum, dpreview)

Face, Action, Ball, Contact

Shoot tight, Crop tighter

I try to make that my mantra, but every once in a while do something goofy like include the crowd behind for context.

ann
    You mean like this?
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005