Options

Very First IR

leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
edited October 25, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
So, my IR filter finally arrived from B&H. Unfortunately, I didn't do enough research and ordered the 87C, which is almost black, and doesn't seem to work well with my 20D. The exposure for this shot was more than a minute and a half. I think I will keep it for bright, sunny, and windless days, but will also order the 72R for most uses. I haven't been able to get into the field yet and try some creative shots (this photo is from my front yard, late afternoon), but I will. Granted it's not a great comp (electric/phone lines, etc.), but I'm not too ashamed, it being the first click of my shutter, outdoors, with the new filter. I did pick up a hot spot where the sun was shining on the Maple in the foreground.

212146124-L.jpg

I did try a shot late last night after I first got the filter indoors, with a flourescent bulb, but it sucked, and I don't count it as the first. It was a TEN MINUTE Exposure!

211793063-L.jpg
Growing with Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    So, my IR filter finally arrived from B&H. Unfortunately, I didn't do enough research and ordered the 87C, which is almost black, and doesn't seem to work well with my 20D. The exposure for this shot was more than a minute and a half. I think I will keep it for bright, sunny, and windless days, but will also order the 72R for most uses. I haven't been able to get into the field yet and try some creative shots (this photo is from my front yard, late afternoon), but I will. Granted it's not a great comp (electric/phone lines, etc.), but I'm not too ashamed, it being the first click of my shutter, outdoors, with the new filter. I did pick up a hot spot where the sun was shining on the Maple in the foreground.

I did try a shot late last night after I first got the filter indoors, with a flourescent bulb, but it sucked, and I don't count it as the first. It was a TEN MINUTE Exposure!

Hey there leaforte... I see you are finding out its not all that easy to shoot IR with a filter and a Canon 20D.

I gotta tell you, after being able to try out a few shots with a camera that has been CONVERTED to IR, you would never bother with IR Filters again.

The advantage of using a CONVERTED Camera is that you never have to use a tripod clap.gif your speeds and lenses are only as limited as your gear.

Huge difference in the price of a filter to the price of getting the actual camera converted, also big difference in quality of the image too.

10 Points to you for being patient enough to try the IR Filter method :D

Good Luck thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Way cool!
    Yes, with the filter it's definitely going to have much longer exposure times. You just can't be as "opportunistic" as you would be with the converted cameras.

Have some fun with it, like the shot of the teddy bear which is really cool and kinda creepy. I would have never thought of doing that but it has tremendous composition.

And digital is at least that much faster to see a result than shooting a whole roll of film and waiting for developing to find out there was something off in your settings.
  • Options
    rlamarrlamar Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 25, 2007
    Persist
    Your first try was pretty good considering how dense the filter was and the very, very long exposure. You can get good results from your 20D, especially with the Hoya R72. For example, see this I did with about 10 seconds of exposure:

http://thekingfish.smugmug.com/photos/208045449-S.jpg

Keep shooting and good luck.

Bob
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Thanks for taking a peak all. I am totally sprung on IR. I love to look at others cool shots. Nice shot rlamar! I am going to get the R72 since I live in the Northwest, to get me by until I get my new 40d for Dgrins 2008 Shoot Out, and then I will convert the 20D. Until then, I actually find it educational, compositionally, when I scout for a shot, knowing all the work it takes to get it right, all the factors I must consider, and I've become closer to my camera...oooh la la!
    Growing with Dgrin