Options

Big Boat

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited February 27, 2005 in Holy Macro
I've been practicing a wee bit with Curves, baby steps. This is a shot from Baltimore late last year. The exposure was a bit of a mess, probably because the thing's essentially backlit. So this is the final result of Curves and a Tri-tone (can you identify the two colors? :evil)

16374399-L.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I've been practicing a wee bit with Curves, baby steps. This is a shot from Baltimore late last year. The exposure was a bit of a mess, probably because the thing's essentially backlit. So this is the final result of Curves and a Tri-tone (can you identify the two colors? naughty.gif)

i dig it. no, i cannot identify the colors, but that's good, becuase you didn't overdo it then! nice work, sid.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i dig it. no, i cannot identify the colors, but that's good, becuase you didn't overdo it then! nice work, sid.
    Thanks Andy! From you, that's a real compliment. I appreciate it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks Andy! From you, that's a real compliment. I appreciate it.

the leading line of the hawsers do it for me, as well as the slight lean of the boat.

thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    Black and white?

Nice photo, good work in curves. After you learn, you can teach me, in one or two easy steps.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Black and white?

lol3.gif Technically, neither are colors. naughty.gif

I'll be happy to pass along my meager knowledge. But it's too little even for an ADD person to become bored with.
    Sid.
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    Sid,

Beautiful shot! I love the low angle and the ropes that lead the eye in to the ship!
    Don't see tricolor though ne_nau.gif but it looks great to me in B&W!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 26, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    (can you identify the two colors? naughty.gif)
    Is this a contest? I already won the BSA challenge and am awaiting my gift certificate.

I'm with Andy on this... good that we can't tell which colors... and I have to side with anyone who knows the definition of the word "hawsers".
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    andy wrote:
    the leading line of the hawsers do it for me, as well as the slight list of the ship.

thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Fixed

Sorry Andy....i just couldnt let those go.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    Very nice.

I love how the ropes lead you to the main subject of the photo. Very cool.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    andy wrote:
    the leading line of the hawsers do it for me, as well as the slight lisp of the poster.

fixed (better than gus's).

Nice shot, waxamole. What does it for me is the perspective -- the relative size of the rope on the dock to the size of the ship. I love WA. Which lens?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    fish wrote:
    fixed (better than gus's).

Nice shot, waxamole. What does it for me is the perspective -- the relative size of the rope on the dock to the size of the ship. I love WA. Which lens?
    Thanks. 16-35. Wide open. How do you guys make the exif a link from the photo?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    Date Taken: 2004-11-22 13:33:14
    Date Modified: 2005-02-23 10:02:29
    Make: Canon
    Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II
    Size: 2296x3336
    Bytes: 1433475
    Aperture: f/10.0
    ISO: 500
    Focal Length: 16mm
    Exposure Time: 0.05s (1/20)
    Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
    Exposure Program: Aperture priority
    Exposure Bias: 0
    ColorSpace: sRGB
    Sid.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks. 16-35. Wide open. How do you guys make the exif a link from the photo?
    • Save the link from the top of your smugmug exif window
    • click on the image that you've just put in the reply box so that the image is highlighted
    • click on the link button
    • paste the link into the pop up box
    Nice shot too Sid!!
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    how to post exif clickable from the photo
    it's all right here sid, hey i'm surprised you didn't see this lol3.gif becuase nothing gets by you!
  • Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Are we talking about the tone of the water? Do I see a slight slight greenish hue to it? Maybe some green in the white part of the bottom of the boat? (my monitor kinda sucks.....and not a word about my lack of nautical terms!rolleyes1.gif:D )
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    Are we talking about the tone of the water? Do I see a slight slight greenish hue to it? Maybe some green in the white part of the bottom of the boat? (my monitor kinda sucks.....and not a word about my lack of nautical terms!rolleyes1.gif:D )
    Yes! You have one of the two colors. thumb.gif. Now, care to double your money and go for two? naughty.gifdeal.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    andy wrote:
    it's all right here sid, hey i'm surprised you didn't see this lol3.gif becuase nothing gets by you!
    Cool, thanks Andy. nod.gif My eyes glaze over technical stuff, I think I saw it and it never registered.

If your eyes see something but your brain doesn't, did you ever really see it? :oogle :twitch
    Sid.
  • Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Yes! You have one of the two colors. thumb.gif. Now, care to double your money and go for two? naughty.gifdeal.gif
    I'd venture a brown, for lack of a better guess. Maybe some deep reds, very subtle? I have a crap'o laptop lcd to judge from. I need a nicer monitor! :cry
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    I'd venture a brown, for lack of a better guess. Maybe some deep reds, very subtle? I have a crap'o laptop lcd to judge from. I need a nicer monitor! :cry
    Close enough! Mocha, Andy's favorite duotone color. Congratulations, Mr. Crappy Monitor! clap.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 27, 2005
    Really nice Sid thumb.gifthumb.gif Like everyone else, I like the rope leading up to the ship (it's to large to be called a boat, isn't it? headscratch.gif ) Nice job on the tri tone too clap.gif

I'm glad we finally got the color issue out of the way :uhoh If it took that long to identify the colors used, you must have been too subtle Sid. Ya gotta smack em in the face with color :lol

Seriously, a very nice shot and excellent post processing treatment :):

Thamks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    Thanks, mate. Now back to your commentary on the Challenge finalists. :whip

lol3.gif
    Sid.