Options

Party at the German Embassy

Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
edited October 28, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
I went to a party last night at the German Embassy in Washington, D.C., celebrating Unity Day, and snagged these images. As always, your comments and critique are welcome and encouraged.

-Howard

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0236.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0143.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0192.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0241.JPG

DSC_0260.JPG

DSC_0219.JPG

DSC_0265-1.JPG

Comments

• Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    you seem to have a theme with unique/colorful lighting...

#7 is great!
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2007
    you seem to have a theme with unique/colorful lighting...

#7 is great!

I guess I do have an unintentional theme going on. That's bound to happen when one shoots for a company that specializes in event lighting. As it turns out, a few other event companies in the area have hired me to shoot promotional material for them, so I suspect there will be more along these lines in the near future.

I'm so glad to see that shot # 7 caught your eye. When I was processing these images, that one definitely stood out to me as THE shot of the night. Of course, I am shooting for a client, but that one in particular somehow speaks to my own artistic aesthetic. Thanks so much for your comment.
  • Options
    ArchiTexasArchiTexas Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    When I first scanned your images #1 and #7 stood out. #1 for the wonderful color, and #7 because the BW and the blurred motion seem, to me, to capture the spirit of night-time, social, events like the one you attended.
    http://erfphotoart.com

Olympus E510 and Gigapan mount
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Howard, I think it's great that you work for an event lighting company now! They do a stunning job with the colors and it really comes through in your shots.

I do like #7 as well! I think night shots like that lend themselves to creating movement in the people - and for events and parties this is a definite plus.

I am no off-camera flash expert but I know there are a lot of resources on Dgrin for that, specifically for dark events and club situations. I think your people portraits are great in that they are happy and show wonderful expressions, but you can probably take your shots to the next level if the flash isn't coming from right over your lens.

If you decide to go down that avenue I'd love to see your progress as it's something I've been meaning to do for months now but, uhhh, I just never got around to it. :hide
  • Options
    riz_satriz_sat Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    hey Howard nice colours i also like the 7th one and the last image :D
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2007
    Thanks so much, everyone, for having a look and giving me the feedback. In terms of shooting, utilizing solid technique, and developing a personal style, I am still just an infant. I have so far to go, and so much to learn, but every one of your comments nudges me a little farther down the learning path. I really appreciate that, and I am so thankful for all of you and for the good fortune of stumbling across this forum when I did.

ArchiTexas: Thanks! "to capture the spirit of the night time, social events like this..." was definitely the aim of the game. If I have come anywhere close to that ideal with one of these shots, then it does start to feel like I might have accomplished something!

Scmoo: You know I am one of your biggest fans, and therefore take everything you say to heart. iloveyou.gif And speaking of hearts, mine is just aching for some off camera flash equipment!!! Sadly, I have to take it one slow step at a time. :cry This photography business is in its infancy, as well, and the cash flow is not yet great. What income has come in is pretty much dedicated to staying above water. But I know exactly what you mean. I just ordered a diffuser dome for my speedlight - one more baby step - so I am hoping that will help until I can get get a full system together. BTW, the shots you have posted so far from Glacier are AWESOME!!! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

riz_sat: Thanks for your comments. I like those shots, too! It turns out that the woman in the last image is well connected with a couple of major businesses in New York. After she saw this shot, she asked if I would be interested in coming to New York to do some work for her there. wings.gif

One thing that is great about shooting at these events is that it puts one in a position to meet some amazingly influential people, many of whom have more work to offer. I've only done two of these so far and have gotten a number of great referrences for gigs in the future.

Thanks again, everyone! :D
  • Options
    loiloi Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    very cool, have not seen anything like it..thumb.gif
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." Li Po
    http://loi.smugmug.com/gallery/3539566#199917032
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    I went to a party last night at the German Embassy in Washington, D.C., celebrating Unity Day, and snagged these images. As always, your comments and critique are welcome and encouraged.

-Howard

Plenty of colour....lit the place up like a Christmas Tree didn't it :D
    I can imagine it would have been hard to shoot with all those lights.

I also like your B&W shot thumb.gif ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin