Options

Good starter tripod

bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
edited February 27, 2005 in Accessories
I have been using a Canon Digital Rebel for a few months now, and have been trying to figure out what the most needed accessories for me will be. I've decided that I definitely need a tripod for lower-light shooting and panoramas.

My criteria:
Portability (weight is less important than how compact it folds)
Ease of use (prefer a quick-release of some sort)
Price (I'd like to spend around $100)

My intended use:
Low-light/night shooting
Landscapes (for panoramas, mostly)

I won't be using it for sports or action photography, or much "nature" photography of the type that involves huge, heavy zooms.

I've been considering the Velbon MAXi 343E. Anyone have opinions or feedback on this tripod?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice. Ben

Comments

• Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    I got my DRebel for X-mas and I just bought this one.

http://www.wolfcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=13069599&bct=c1014%3Bc5849816

It's simple, sturdy, and effective. Best of all, It was 50 bucks :) And I really like the quick release system to allow you to shoot photos with or without it in a matter of seconds.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 22, 2005
    simple common advice: don't skimp on a tripod!

No one is going to come out with "better tripod technology" so don't waste money on a cheap flimsy one. Of all the equipment you own, a good tripod will never become outdated. Save another $100 and get a good one. You'll thank yourself. Once in the $200 range, you can't go wrong with Bogen-Manfrotto stuff.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    One option. Another option.

It's tough to get a sturdy tripod with lots of features for $100. If you can, I'd recommend going out and looking at a good camera shop to make sure it meets your needs.

Edit: just saw doc's post and I totally agree. Don't skimp on a tripod. If you do, someday you'll be back here wondering why your images aren't very sharp.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2005
    I was in the market for a new tripod a few months ago and was told by someone: " You can buy a bunch of cheap tripods for what one good one costs but one good one will last a long, long time."

So I got these:
    Bogen / Manfrotto 3021BN Tripod Legs (Black) - Supports 13.2 lb (6 kg) ($136)
    Bogen / Manfrotto 488RC0 Midi Ball Head with Rapid Connect 0 System (Quick Release) - Supports 17.6 lb (8 kg) ($79)

Yeah, more than you wanted to spend and heavier, but I don't have to worry about a wobbly tripod!
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    I was in the market for a new tripod a few months ago and was told by someone: " You can buy a bunch of cheap tripods for what one good one costs but one good one will last a long, long time."
    I think this quote is also in just about every instructional photography book lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    Thanks for the input...I'm not averse to paying more money for quality equipment, I just didn't want a bunch of people telling me to buy a B1 and carbon fiber Gitzo. If I have to pay ~200 to get a well-built, stable tripod, that's by no means out of the question. Thanks again, I will be doing my research and keeping an eye on the Flea Market.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    simple common advice: don't skimp on a tripod!

No one is going to come out with "better tripod technology" so don't waste money on a cheap flimsy one. Of all the equipment you own, a good tripod will never become outdated. Save another $100 and get a good one. You'll thank yourself. Once in the $200 range, you can't go wrong with Bogen-Manfrotto stuff.

nod.gifnod.gif

See this feedback on Amazon:
    "PROBLEMS: It's a light tripod. There's something to be said for MASS. In anything more than a little breeze, there just isn't enough mass to keep things from shaking."

And that's the point: a tripod needs to be sturdy. Otherwise, no point in having one.

Dunno what your budget is, but you can get carbon fiber with four leg sections that are sturdy, collapse small, support heavy weights, and are nicely portable. They also have a hook so you can hang a bag and add mass for sturdiness.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    bkriete wrote:
    Thanks for the input...I'm not averse to paying more money for quality equipment, I just didn't want a bunch of people telling me to buy a B1 and carbon fiber Gitzo. If I have to pay ~200 to get a well-built, stable tripod, that's by no means out of the question.

Oops. I guess I just did! :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    I used to frequent a few knife-related forums on the internet. A lot of the time guys would post something like "hey, I need a pocket-knife for peeling apples and opening envelopes." Any one of a dozen different Cases or Spydercos would have served their purposes for under $50. And yet, somehow, someone would always suggest the Chris Reeves Sebenza at $350, telling them that it was the best knife ever, and they wouldn't ever need another knife, and they should just stretch their budget that extra couple hundred and they wouldn't regret it. For the person suggesting the Sebenza, it was definitely worth the extra investment...they just had a little trouble seeing that someone else's needs and budget might differ. Am I rambling too much?

I guess my point is that I'm not at a point in my photographic career where spending $500 on a ball-head will improve my pictures more than a $100 tripod, nor do I have the disposable income at this point in my life to do so. If there's a dramatic jump in quality between a $75 SunPak and a $200 Bogen/Manfrotto, I can save that much up. Anyway...I guess it's typical that I'm turning a simply q&a into a philosophical debate in my head. Thanks for the input guys. Ben

PS- Hey DoctorIt, I'm right down the road in South Deerfield, but my location doesn't seem to want to show up in my profile.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    bkriete wrote:
    my location doesn't seem to want to show up in my profile.

That's a bug in the software, that you can workaround by filling in a field that you currently have blank. I forget the field, but I think it's above your location. Same thing happened to me when I first signed up.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2005
    bkriete wrote:
    I used to frequent a few knife-related forums on the internet. A lot of the time guys would post something like "hey, I need a pocket-knife for peeling apples and opening envelopes." Any one of a dozen different Cases or Spydercos would have served their purposes for under $50. And yet, somehow, someone would always suggest the Chris Reeves Sebenza at $350, telling them that it was the best knife ever, and they wouldn't ever need another knife, and they should just stretch their budget that extra couple hundred and they wouldn't regret it. For the person suggesting the Sebenza, it was definitely worth the extra investment...they just had a little trouble seeing that someone else's needs and budget might differ. Am I rambling too much?

I guess my point is that I'm not at a point in my photographic career where spending $500 on a ball-head will improve my pictures more than a $100 tripod, nor do I have the disposable income at this point in my life to do so. If there's a dramatic jump in quality between a $75 SunPak and a $200 Bogen/Manfrotto, I can save that much up. Anyway...I guess it's typical that I'm turning a simply q&a into a philosophical debate in my head. Thanks for the input guys. Ben

PS- Hey DoctorIt, I'm right down the road in South Deerfield, but my location doesn't seem to want to show up in my profile.
    Hi Neighbor wave.gif

I made a purchase today that perhaps may help you ... gotta do some shopping around tonight, but I may have a perfect budget Slik tripod for sale soon.
    Erik

• Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    ahhh...a Knife Knut....
    bkriete wrote:
    No, not rambling too much at all. In fact I appreciate your perspective-and I think it makes a lot of sense. I never did get a Sebenza. I quit at the G-10 Police model and my AFCK's. I did manage to 'collect' around 20 Greco's though. Someday I'll have to part with them to recoup some lens money-lol.
    Now I'm rambling :D

bkriete wrote:
    Again, I have to agree with you here. If, IF, I was doing a lot of shooting that required a tripod, THEN I *might* consider an uber-pod and head setup. But the fact is I don't really use a tripod all that much at this time. I did upgrade my ca 1980 Albinar Tripod recently with a Bogen-Manfrotto 3001Pro and bogen head (around $175 used). But to tell you the truth, I'm not that impressed with it. Sure, it's *nice*, reasonably well made etc., but if I had bought one brand new for street price I would be a little disapointed I think. And as far as "a dramatic difference", nope-sorry I just don't see it.

Why?

Well, one reason is I've seen a tripod for $130 that I think is more stable (albeit just a little bit heavier), and just as well (possibly even a bit better) made. It even comes with a tilt-pan head for that price, which again I see no real advantage to the Bogen head that sells for around $140 head-only.

What tripod is this? The SLIK 700DX. Now, I'm not talking about a 'pod I'd want to hike into the Grand Canyon with, but for most other general tripod work I've yet to see anything better for even $100 more. If you have a chance I suggest you check one out for yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised. BTW-the head on the 700DX is replaceable so you can always upgrade at a later time.

Sometimes the price of fashion really outweighs it's value (in other words, sometimes the king really is naked rolleyes1.gif ). While a Sebenza would be *nice* and quite fitting for someone who can afford one, I do just fine with my working class Benchmade. Not to mention if I did own a Sebenza, it would probably wind up being a drawer queen anyway.....

anyway-check out the SLIK, whole lotta bang for the buck man!
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    That's a bug in the software, that you can workaround by filling in a field that you currently have blank. I forget the field, but I think it's above your location. Same thing happened to me when I first signed up.
    The location field has been moved, so that shouldn't be a problem anymore.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    Hi Mongrel...I think I remember you from Bladeforums? I just came across the Slik you mention while poking around epinions or some other consumer review site. Thanks for the recommendation. BTW, if you're going to blow 300+ on a knife, make it a Strider AR. ;)

Hi Fish, thanks for the input. I know it was a problem as recently as last night. If it's solved now, that's great.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    bkriete wrote:
    Hi Mongrel...I think I remember you from Bladeforums? I just came across the Slik you mention while poking around epinions or some other consumer review site. Thanks for the recommendation. BTW, if you're going to blow 300+ on a knife, make it a Strider AR. ;)

Hi Fish, thanks for the input. I know it was a problem as recently as last night. If it's solved now, that's great.
    I have the Slik, think it's the 300DX. Bought it for the same reason - to save some cash. It is a great pod, the only reason it was less money is because it has old school screw locks rather than the quick lever locks on the legs. It's a good 3-section, stable pod, just takes me a few extra seconds to set it up. It was about $120 at Hunt's (in Hadley).

I mentiond I may be able to help - I might sell this pod because I basically just stole a bogen monopod with QR head on the real cheap! I was thinking of trying to find a Bogen tripod as well so I can use the same QR plates. Still looking...
    Erik

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    bkriete wrote:
    I have been using a Canon Digital Rebel for a few months now, and have been trying to figure out what the most needed accessories for me will be. I've decided that I definitely need a tripod for lower-light shooting and panoramas.

My criteria:
    Portability (weight is less important than how compact it folds)
    Ease of use (prefer a quick-release of some sort)
    Price (I'd like to spend around $100)

My intended use:
    Low-light/night shooting
    Landscapes (for panoramas, mostly)

I won't be using it for sports or action photography, or much "nature" photography of the type that involves huge, heavy zooms.

I've been considering the Velbon MAXi 343E. Anyone have opinions or feedback on this tripod?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice. Ben
    Ok, here is my two cents worth. I have two cheapo tripods. One is supper light, folds up into a very small carry anywhere size. It is absolutly wothless! The other is larger and almost as bad.

I have recently bought a Bogan Manfrotto 3001BPRO (4.18 Lbs) Tripod, and a Manfrotto 488RC2 ball head (1.48 Lbs).

I understand having a budget, but saving a little and getting one good quality tripod is well worth it.

I also tried a cheap ball head. (available for sale :D ) The 488 is good bang for the buck. It is smooth sturdy, and will pan.

Take a little time to decide on these items. If you purchase good quality they will out last the camera by a long shot.

Sam
  • Options
    REECEPHOTOREECEPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    I'll give my 2cents also.

I have a Bogen 3021BPro and a Bogen 488RC2 head.

The head runs a little under 90 dollors. I think a good head for the money (good bang for your buck)

I wouldnt go down much from here beacuse I would be afraid of the head sliping and damaging my camera and lenses. And those are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much to be replacing.

Now If I were you I would go with the 3001 for about 90$

the 3011 run about 106$
    the 3021 runs about 136$
    and the 3021pro runs 146$
    Now I went with the 3021Pro beacuse I'm wanting to get into some macro.
    But I do have a really cheap walmart tripod and it's pure junk.
    You'll defeat the purpose of of a nice sturdy tripod if you go to cheap.
    here is a review I did on the 3021Pro http://http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=140&sort=7&cat=32&page=1 all the bogens tripods are good quality. I would say it would worth your time and money to spend a few more months saving a get something you'll be keeping for a long time and will be happy with.
    It's not the speed that'll kill ya
    It's the sudden stops!
    http://reecephoto.smugmug.com
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jepg
    src="http//www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jpg">
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    I've been searching for an article online that I read last year. The guy was a landscape photographer who toted around a large, heavy wooden tripod.

He wrote an excellent opinion on why you should buy the very best and sturdiest tripod you can afford. The thrust of it was that a serious photographer uses a tripod, will likely be upgrading equipment over time, and that said equipment is likely to increase in weight, especially lenses.

Therefore the photographer is faced with two options: keep upgrading tripods in tandem with equipment upgrades, or buy a first rate tripod from the outset.

In that light, one hefty payment for a top flight tripod is less moolah than 2 or 3 lesser payments. I found the argument very compelling, as I was already on my second "inexpensive" tripod and had just upgraded my camera/lens package.

My tripod needs to fit into my motorcycle's sidebag, and can't be too heavy. And yet I still want it to extend close to 60". So I opted for a four section carbon fiber that's not cheap, but meets my specs. Could be heavier, but has a hook so I can hang my bag to provide more mass for a stable platform. It also has legs that will unfold at more extreme angles, for landscapes shot on uneven terrain. I may someday get a Wimberely sidekick for heavy glass, but I hope I'm done chasing tripods.

Darn, wish I could find the aricle, you'd find it very interesting, I'm sure. I'm also sure that using a tripod would improve your photography. naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    Aha! clap.gif

I have found it! The link was posted on another forum.

bkrieta, I urge you to read this article, it's filled with sensible observations which should help you when buying your tripod.
    Sid.