Options

Thanks Shay!

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited October 30, 2007 in People
Not much time to post (after a gazillion portrait sessions and two weddings my son is starting to forget who I am) but wanted to thank Shay for helping me to understand and "see" off camera lighting possibilities and opportunities. I may not have "got" it right away but every wedding I do, I realize how much more comfortable I am with lighting thanks to his BootCamp. :grin

C&C welcome, especially cropping. This is original crop.

213990309-XL.jpg
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Looks like a beautiful location! And this is a very unique perspective. I love all the railings in the shot. I'm wondering if a square-ish crop (removing a lot from the right side) would draw you in to the B&G even more? I love that you can tell she's moving down the stairs toward his upturned face. It's all very romantic!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Wow! I absolutely love this picture! I would be so proud if this were mine. I just am starting to figure out the off camera flash this week. I just got my STE2 and am anxious to get out there and work with it.

Great job showing me what kind of potential I could have with this stuff!

Love the picture!
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Exquisite!!!

I would get rid of the right hand side - otherwise, WOW! I sure hope these workshops are offered again next year.

ann
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    I found it odd that the railings to the left of the camera....top do not all match. I guess that some repairs were made at some time and they chose not to match them. This, of course, has no bearing on the fact that this is a beautiful photograph. If you view it rotated 90 degrees, the railings somwhat follow a rule of thirds, except they are tilted. I like that. In the orientation you posted, I agree that the dark empty area at right could be done without. Maybe a 5x7 crop taking the loss at right. I am curious though. Are you using radio transmitters? The flash seems to be located below you, and out of line of sight. I was under the impression that the STE2 needed line of sight. The lighting is very dramatic. Maybe a touch strong on his collar/shirt, but not enough to make it a big deal for me. I really like it. My only tiny little nit would be that I really like the warmth of the surrounding ambient light, and I wonder how this would look if you warmed the area covered by the flash just a tad more.

Other than that, I would just say that I am totally jealous. I doubt that more than a few of the folks here would have ever seen the shot, and even fewer still know how to light it. AS impressed as I am by your camera work, I get even more inspired each time you post new work. You have definately grown by leaps and bounds as an artist in the last year.......and heck you were pretty doggone good then too!!! Leaves the rest of us trying to just catch up!!

I give it a 10 of 10!!!thumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 28, 2007
    Very nice shot, Lynn.

Would you care to explain to the viewer's exactly how your flash(s) were set up and how you triggered it/them?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    WOW!!! I love it. The lines, the lighting, all of it. It is beautiful.
  • Options
    ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Honestly, I love the crop. I am a fan of anything unorthodox, especially rule breaking (not that this is any of those, because I don't know the rules off the top of my head yet :D) But the spiral nature leads your eye to the gentleman, and then his eyes lead you to the woman.

I love the colors, the lighting, etc. I bet this is a photo you could have some serious fun in photoshop with.
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Definitely crop off the right side - maybe a square crop.

This is absolutely stunning! Want to come to Denver and do my next wedding? I don't! rolleyes1.gif Amazing, amazing work, Lynne! I'm in awe every time you post a wedding. In awe!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    What a wonderful, creative idea! thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Another
    Another photographer with applause for this shot...exquisite!

Cropped or not you nailed this one. Love to hear how you lit it. I got my Sunpak's and am playing with them too. But also have a couple 580 ex II's and a ST-E2 remote...
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    :jawdrop Beautiful!!!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    It's so cool that the Artist-in-Residence program is paying dividends like this clap.gif

WTG Urbanaries and yes, thanks Shay bowdown.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    This is an absolutely stunning image. bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

I agree with Andi's idea of cropping.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Very nice shot, Lynn.

Would you care to explain to the viewer's exactly how your flash(s) were set up and how you triggered it/them?

Thanks PF! Here goes. The B&G didn't mind seeing each other before the ceremony (GOD BLESS THEM) but I wanted the first time they saw each other to be special, and to be captured as romantically as possible. As you can see, this location more than sufficed. thumb.gif

From the 4th floor, I used the St-E2 to trigger the 580EX (gelled w/ 3/4 CTO) on the 3rd floor railing. Pointed flash head directly down at them, so that the "eye" of the 580 was somewhat facing me. Bouncing wasn't really an option. Since there were no windows or outside light, and plenty of hard surfaces, the signal refracted nicely and I was able to fire the flash with out a direct line of sight. In this unedited SOC shot from the same series, you can see the flash head. (You can also see the sloppy light spill on the underside of the 4th floor stairs that I PSed out. :D)

As far up as I was, composition was limited because of line of sight to the B&G. A hair too far one way or another and I would have lost sight of one or both of them, if not their limbs.

214473618-L.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    This is just stunning. I wish I had your incredible artistic vision. Thanks for the explanation of your set up.
    C and C always welcome.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    Must be really nice to have clients that are willing to put the time into creating images like this. Someday ...
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Looks like a beautiful location! And this is a very unique perspective. I love all the railings in the shot. I'm wondering if a square-ish crop (removing a lot from the right side) would draw you in to the B&G even more? I love that you can tell she's moving down the stairs toward his upturned face. It's all very romantic!

Thanks Elaine! I agree a square crop is best compositionally, I will probably present both options to the client. I've wanted to do a "staircase" shot for a while and I was thrilled to get the opportunity this time!
    Wow! I absolutely love this picture! I would be so proud if this were mine. I just am starting to figure out the off camera flash this week. I just got my STE2 and am anxious to get out there and work with it.

Great job showing me what kind of potential I could have with this stuff!

Love the picture!

thanks Heather! The possibilities really are limitless with off camera flash! I am not thrilled about the ST-E2 performance in every situation, but in this one it was right on. :)

I can't wait till the B&G get back from Italy and see what they think!
    Ann_McRae wrote:
    Exquisite!!!

I would get rid of the right hand side - otherwise, WOW! I sure hope these workshops are offered again next year

Thanks Ann! It is great how things "sink in" over time after a workshop like Shay's, and you realize how much differently you see opportunities, and ways to "solve problems." I like that Shay doesn't preach a formula, he shows you how to evaluate and creatively execute your own vision. Highly recommended!
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    If you view it rotated 90 degrees, the railings somwhat follow a rule of thirds, except they are tilted. I like that.
    I had never thought about rotating it, I kind of like that too!!! Good idea!
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    The lighting is very dramatic. Maybe a touch strong on his collar/shirt, but not enough to make it a big deal for me. I really like it. My only tiny little nit would be that I really like the warmth of the surrounding ambient light, and I wonder how this would look if you warmed the area covered by the flash just a tad more.

I agree it's a bit strong on his shirt, compared to her dress (they're about the same hue). I gelled the flash, but I agree it could have been even warmer. I have a tough time getting the right match. Lot of trial and error.
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Other than that, I would just say that I am totally jealous. I doubt that more than a few of the folks here would have ever seen the shot, and even fewer still know how to light it. AS impressed as I am by your camera work, I get even more inspired each time you post new work. You have definately grown by leaps and bounds as an artist in the last year.......and heck you were pretty doggone good then too!!! Leaves the rest of us trying to just catch up!!

I give it a 10 of 10!!!thumb.gif

Your comments are sweet as always Jeff. Careful though I might not fit thru the doorway here before long! rolleyes1.gif I am still struggling to keep the creativity going strong thru the 10+ hour demands of a wedding. So having a handful of shots like this planned out beforehand ensures I at least get a few creative ones. And portraits before the whirlwind of the ceremony definitely helps! There is a HUGE difference in the number, variety and quality of "couples" shots between the ones done beforehand and ones that are crammed in the 10 minutes after the ceremony while the limo is waiting.
    DavidS wrote:
    WOW!!! I love it. The lines, the lighting, all of it. It is beautiful.
    Thanks David!!!
    ccpickre wrote:
    Honestly, I love the crop. I am a fan of anything unorthodox, especially rule breaking (not that this is any of those, because I don't know the rules off the top of my head yet :D) But the spiral nature leads your eye to the gentleman, and then his eyes lead you to the woman.

I love the colors, the lighting, etc.

Thanks for your feedback! coming from someone who shot the Dalai Lama the same day, my Columbia Club wedding sure pales in comparison!! eek7.gif

I am struggling w/ the crop as I believe the square crop is the "right" thing to do, but somehow I can't let go that I believe this should be a horizontally oriented photo. Thanks for your perspective!
    I bet this is a photo you could have some serious fun in photoshop with.
    I have trouble deciding what to "do" with an image like this in photoshop. I assume you mean artsy actions and treatments. Feel free to play around with it and post! I want it to reach its full potential, I just don't know exactly what to do.
    This is absolutely stunning! Want to come to Denver and do my next wedding? I don't! rolleyes1.gif Amazing, amazing work, Lynne! I'm in awe every time you post a wedding. In awe!

Surely you jest! I get so jealous of your amazing outdoor wedding vistas!!!
    wxwax wrote:
    What a wonderful, creative idea! thumb.gif

Thanks Sid! I appreciate your comment! iloveyou.gif
    Mitchell wrote:
    :jawdrop Beautiful!!!
    Wow Mitch, I think that's my first jaw drop! Thanks! I admire your work and appreciate your opinion! :)

Andy wrote:
    It's so cool that the Artist-in-Residence program is paying dividends like this clap.gif

WTG Urbanaries and yes, thanks Shay bowdown.gif

Yeah, that Shay, he knows his stuff. You found us a great AIR, no doubt.]
    This is an absolutely stunning image. bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

I agree with Andi's idea of cropping.

Wow, coming from you that is awesome!! Thanks Scott! You know how much you've helped me along my learning curve. I didn't even have to call you in a panic on the wedding day this time :D
    Mrs_F wrote:
    This is just stunning. I wish I had your incredible artistic vision. Thanks for the explanation of your set up.
    I am humbled by your sweet comment!!! I have seen your work and it is stunning! I was lucky to get such an inspiring venue this time around. Most times I am trying to minimize the ugly wedding surroundings, this time I was able to capitalize! a LOT more fun, lemme tell ya! :D

Thanks everyone for your wonderful feedback!!! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    Must be really nice to have clients that are willing to put the time into creating images like this. Someday ...

This really took no time at all. I just planned ahead a little to work it naturally into their "introduction." They loved the idea of capturing his "true" first glance of her on film. I did some testing w/ my assistant before hand, but the execution itself happened quickly. I told the bride to meet me on the 4th floor and the groom to meet us on the main floor. She walked down the staircase like she normally would. Over in a flash! (no pun intended) rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Holy Macaroni!

clap.giflustiloveyou.gifclap
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    Holy Macaroni!

clap.giflustiloveyou.gifclap

Wow, thanks Shay!!! I'm floored!

But then again how could you not respond to a thread with your name in it? mwink.gifrofl
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    Most times I am trying to minimize the ugly wedding surroundings, this time I was able to capitalize! a LOT more fun, lemme tell ya!
    OK, this makes me feel better. Wait until you see some of the reception shots from my Saturday (27 Oct).
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    :jawdrop Lynne! You are just amazing! This is beyond gorgeous......it looks like an ad in a high-end magazine. Wow girl!!!! :saurora
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    clap.gifclap.gif Amazing shot Lynne, I absolutly love it. The crop, the colors, everything about it!!!

I am shooting my 1st wedding since the bootcamp this weekend and going to use Shay's magic off camera flash setup as well. I can only hope it works half as well as yours did!
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    Thanks Susan and Jeff for your kind words! iloveyou.gif

this is the 5x7 crop I ended up with, in case anyone's curious...i really wanted to preserve the top staircase.
    214473096-L-4.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Wow!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options