Options

Rope Jumping in the Snow (Dialup Warning)

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited November 1, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
When a plain old swing just isn't enough, sometimes one must take it up a notch. :D Yesterday, Richard and I took off and rigged a rope jump from the underside of a bridge. We contacted Kelsey to meet up with us, and eventually Shasta joined us as well. Here's what came of it!

If you'd like more, there's forty total in a list format at http://www.morffed.com/climb/temp They're the "bridge" ones! :D

Richard preps for the first jump.
bridge01.jpg

Good to go! :D
bridge02.jpg

It often takes a bit to psych up for it.
bridge03.jpg

The look of disbelief that this is actually going to happen.
bridge04.jpg

And then the first jump!
bridge05.jpg

Myself, shot by Richard, coming off on my second jump. :D
bridge09.jpg

Richard airborne with snow trailing behind.
bridge13.jpg

Myself, also shot by Richard.
bridge15.jpg

Richard launching again, shot from above. I wonder if any of the folks driving by wondered why I was wearing a harness... :rofl
bridge17.jpg

At this point we had to go rescue Kelsey, who broke down on the way. We picked him up and resumed our jumping.

Kelsey rigs for his first jump.
bridge19.jpg

The ever-present hesitation before the jump.
bridge21.jpg

"This is crazy" :D
bridge22.jpg

And he goes for it!
bridge25.jpg

Richard ponders his next step.
bridge28.jpg

AIRBORN!
bridge30.jpg

This is when SHASTA finally arrived, as light was beginning to fade.
bridge32.jpg

Kelsey at the apex of his swing after jumping.
bridge34.jpg

Shasta kicks off her first jump. Light kept getting suckier and suckier, and I'll admit I didn't shoot very well in it. Oh well, next time!
bridge37.jpg

I found I kept trying to pan, when I probably should have kept the scenery in focus and let the jumper be blurred. Here's Kelsey hucking a backflip!
bridge38.jpg

So that's as quick as I could make this post. Of course if you've got time to browse, there's forty pics total located at http://www.morffed.com/climb/temp They're just a list, sorry I can't offer a page to browse them on. Just click through the "bridge" ones. Hope you enjoy!
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Nice set! I liked some of lower angle ones on your linked page, I think they helped to give some better context. Maybe try to get a few wide shots of the area next time so that the viewer has a better idea of how high, how wide, how far out in the middle of nowhere, etc.

Looks like a great time, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    I tell you what mate, ya know what I love??
    I LOVE the feel of the GROUND UNDER MY FEET nod.gif

I couldn't do what you get up to, as exciting and adrenaline rushing as it may be, it's not for the faint hearted.

I love your posts, the places you climb are amazing.
    The fact that you do it amazes me all the more :D

Glad you all walked away safely.
    Awesome post clap.gif :ivar .... Stay Safe.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Man you blokes are loose !! I only jump off stuff if something bigger than me is in chase.

I do always check out your photos though..im guaranteed of something different & you never disappoint mate !
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007
    Hehehe, thanks for the comments all! It's great fun, you really should try it sometime! :D You should know you know what you're doing beforehand of course, but man it's fun!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Despite the spine-tingly feeling I get looking at these shots, it does look like a lot of fun. Is this similar to bungee jumping? :D
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 28, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Despite the spine-tingly feeling I get looking at these shots, it does look like a lot of fun. Is this similar to bungee jumping? :D
    kinda sorta, but think swinging instead of bouncing. Dynamic rope is designed and woven to absorb the energy of a fall by diverting it in a (side) direction. Bungee's dissipate the fall more elastically, by stretching.

Nerd-out over. :D

John, Kelsey, crazy as ever. But what the boys are not pointing out is that doing this off a bridge with a solid anchor is much safer than on the second or third pitch of a climb up a cheer cliff, where you blow through at least one piece of protection on the way down and sometimes the "side" the rope ultimately diverts you in is directly into the wall.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    schmoo wrote:

Yeah Doc is on the right track. A climbing rope stretches, but doesn't stretch and bounce like bungee. What it does is absorbs the impact over a DISTANCE so you don't just jolt to a stop, but it doesn't bounce back like a bungee cord will. In our case here we added a good amount of SWING as well, instead of jumping directly above the anchor, which also adds some impact absorption as Doc says. Although you CAN take a direct fall on climbing rope and be fine, it's just much better on everything involved to try to dissipate the impact as much as possible. :)

If you google "Dan Osman" you'll find some pretty mind-blowing rope jumps!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    coldclimb wrote:
    Yeah Doc is on the right track. A climbing rope stretches, but doesn't stretch and bounce like bungee. What it does is absorbs the impact over a DISTANCE so you don't just jolt to a stop, but it doesn't bounce back like a bungee cord will. In our case here we added a good amount of SWING as well, instead of jumping directly above the anchor, which also adds some impact absorption as Doc says. Although you CAN take a direct fall on climbing rope and be fine, it's just much better on everything involved to try to dissipate the impact as much as possible. :)

If you google "Dan Osman" you'll find some pretty mind-blowing rope jumps!

Bridge jumps reminds me of stuff we use to do in large hay barns. Looks like a lot of fun- ever try to do a panning shot as you jump?

That guy Dan Osman is just plain nuts!!eek7.gif It would be a rush but Holy Crap!!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Bridge jumps reminds me of stuff we use to do in large hay barns. Looks like a lot of fun- ever try to do a panning shot as you jump?

Yeah... I tried... rolleyes1.gif It turned out some pretty poor results, but I'd love to practice more! :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    You only live once, so why not. Looks like fun!! The first shot of 'Richard', up close and personal, is nice. You candidly got him in a quiet moment, maybe before his jump, maybe saying a little prayer?

"Rope Jumping in the Snow" is a thread title hard to resist.
    Growing with Dgrin