Options

My Side of Rope Jumping

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited November 2, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Hello!

So Johns thread gave a pretty good idea of what we were doing. I'll keep it short! One thing that was a bummer was I came in late and the light was terrible by the time i got there. Pictures were almost all blurry! Doh! Oh well it was a great learning time!

John's rigging of the jumpline.
213592114-L.jpg

Bit of a ways down...could live if you fell. Would hurt like hell though.
213593062-M.jpg

John and Richard chatting before John goes for a jump.
213583942-XL.jpg

John goes for a backflip. Tried to pan with his jump. Shouldn't have attempted! heh
213594225-XL.jpg

John in midspin
213582582-XL.jpg

Hold on tight and prepare for the swing!!
213589935-XL.jpg

This was taken by Richard. My first jump.
213591203-XL.jpg

John getting setup for the shot.
213587761-XL.jpg

And then we were joined by Shasta who hooked up and said "Bye Guys!" without any warning to her photographers. No photo's of Shasta on this jump for me!
213586183-L.jpg

It was almost dark when we were finishing our last jumps so the light was real funky. I think I salvages some of this shot though and I kinda like it.
Shasta getting jumpy!
213585299-XL.jpg

and Shasta swinging it out.
213588758-XL.jpg

Well thats it for me. I kept wanting to get down and get a better angle but I didn't want to jump with my camera so I didn't! Doh! Next time we agreed to go out with better light! :)

Comments

• Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Hehe yeah that lighting was rough on the pictures. Have to try again! :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Thank goodness you got a shot of the knots before the light faded completely. I think some of us here really need to know the details like that. :D

I may just be completely unfamiliar with your high-adrenaline sports, but I would never think to do something like this. :oogle
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Thank goodness you got a shot of the knots before the light faded completely. I think some of us here really need to know the details like that. :D

Hehe... three seperate anchors that would each individually take the full force of the jump with no problem. The knots didn't even cinch tight! We did wear out the padding though... might be time to buy a new ridgerest. :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    schmoo wrote:

I may just be completely unfamiliar with your high-adrenaline sports, but I would never think to do something like this. :oogle

Keep your day job girl you gotta a better chance of living a bit longer rolleyes1.gif
    .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Hello!

So Johns thread gave a pretty good idea of what we were doing. I'll keep it short! One thing that was a bummer was I came in late and the light was terrible by the time i got there. Pictures were almost all blurry! Doh! Oh well it was a great learning time!
    John's rigging of the jumpline.
    Bit of a ways down...could live if you fell. Would hurt like hell though.
    John and Richard chatting before John goes for a jump.
    John goes for a backflip. Tried to pan with his jump. Shouldn't have attempted! heh
    John in midspin
    Hold on tight and prepare for the swing!!
    This was taken by Richard. My first jump.
    John getting setup for the shot.
    And then we were joined by Shasta who hooked up and said "Bye Guys!" without any warning to her photographers. No photo's of Shasta on this jump for me!
    It was almost dark when we were finishing our last jumps so the light was real funky. I think I salvages some of this shot though and I kinda like it.
    Shasta getting jumpy!
    and Shasta swinging it out.
    Well thats it for me. I kept wanting to get down and get a better angle but I didn't want to jump with my camera so I didn't! Doh! Next time we agreed to go out with better light! :)

I tell you I'd require more than one change of underwear for sure!
    I couldn't do it, I don't even like elevators, and be danged if I will go on any rides that flip upside down or require you to be harnessed in.

So that kinda leaves me as a spectator I believe :D

You guys sure climb to some scary places to do your climbs and jumps.
    Your posts are always amazing to view thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing this adventure.... Skippy (The Land Dweller) :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    schmoo wrote:

The crazy part is I am not sure many people would think of doing something like that. Until the opportunity arises and you do! Then you think about the next time you get to all the time!! I am sure we will be setting one up in Moab after the Shootout next year. If anyone wanted to hang around...

Skippy the strange thing I have found with things such as rope jumps or jumping into water is that anyone can easily do it. Sometimes it takes a push from another person and sometimes you just close your eyes, imagine your flying and go, you don't even have to catch yourself. The skill level of the jump is just in taking the step. ;)
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    I'm sure doing something like this would help me overcome my "slight" fear
    of heights. :D NOT!!!!!! rolleyes1.gif

I think you guys are definately nuts. :crazy

And I thought this group doing this stunt had issues. I stand corrected. bowdown.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIjjWXstjZc
    Michael
  • Options
    rokklymrokklym Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    Man, I don't even like climbing on other people top ropes! That must be some crazy rigging. The only thing I have ever done like that is when climbing a top rope, getting on a ledge and having your belayer give out a few feet of slack and then jumping. Fun, but scary.
    www.lonewolfstudios.us
    Olympus E3 w HLD4, E520, E510 11-22mm, 50-200mm,35mm macro, 14-42mm, 40-150, FL50R & FL36R
    http://rokklym.smugmug.com/
    We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life,to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment no matter what.
    - George Santayana, "The philosophy of travel"