Options

Canon 1D MKIII FIX!!!

Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
edited November 21, 2007 in Cameras

Comments

• Options
    PrescottPhotogPrescottPhotog Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Figured there were a few of you here that would be interested in the info. Good luck. :D

Thanks Mike.. I wonder how long the line will get. I'll check it out for sure.

Do you know what the $100.00 coupon he was talking about. I'm registered and never heard about that either and Canon sent me the last firmware update ? Thanks !!
    '
    Prescott Photog, Chris - " One Shot, One Still "
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    SmugMug Pro User - www.PrescottOutdoors.net
    NAPP Member..Click for Info
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    Thanks Mike.. I wonder how long the line will get. I'll check it out for sure.

Do you know what the $100.00 coupon he was talking about. !

Not a clue. ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif I'm still using a 20D. :cry rolleyes1.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited October 18, 2007
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Too bad I work a mile from the Canon service center... my boss won't have to mail out the camera. They'll probably have it fixed same day... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Not a clue. ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif I'm still using a 20D. :cry rolleyes1.gif

When you register a new camera with Canon you get a $100 voucher towards service/repair on out of warranty service.
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 18, 2007
    Check out Rob Galbraith's Q&A on the mirror fix as well.

It looks like Canon has corroborated Rob's findings, and found the root cause. Of course, the jury is still out until Rob gets an updated body and verifies the fix.

If it is truly fixed, this is going have serious implications for my bank account. deal.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    That is great news. Rod Gralbraith has it on his site too.

I moved this thread to Cameras as its a better fit there.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    When you register a new camera with Canon you get a $100 voucher towards service/repair on out of warranty service.

Plus Green and White priority service address labels/stickers you put on the box when you send it in.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    That is great news. Rod Gralbraith has it on his site too.

I moved this thread to Cameras as its a better fit there.

I posted it up there also. Put in N&W knowing several folks there that have the MKIII and may (if like me) not check the "Camera" section out, often.

wings.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    This is great news for MKIII owners, nice to see Canon step up.
  • Options
    PrescottPhotogPrescottPhotog Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007

Hi Mike, Thanks for posting this so fast. I called in this morning after reading it and they were great. Said Canon just sent down the info to the service center.

They said it might be the end of the month because Canon is really gearing up their repair center with extra people to handle this issue so while they are gathering parts and people they took my info and gave me a case number so my FedEx ticket would be out soon. I also had him check the $100 certificate. I am registered and even got my 1.1.0 firmware notice from Canon but nobody ever said anything about this to me so he got that taken care of too.

For the others that called Canon it might help to keep this post informed on when the FedEx repair shipping slips start hitting the people that registered so everyone knows what is happening. There are 30-40,000 units out there so they are going to be busy. I have a serial number in the 51m's and my dealer said the ones on his shelf are in the 56's. He said he asked his Canon rep what serial number started shipping with the correct submirror installed (as it says on the DP Review post) and nobody seems to know including the Canon rep.

Just a thought so someone isn't waiting.. in case they get lost in the shuffle.
    '
    Prescott Photog, Chris - " One Shot, One Still "
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    SmugMug Pro User - www.PrescottOutdoors.net
    NAPP Member..Click for Info
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Bump. The fix and affected cameras is here. Prepare to wait for LOOOOOOOONG service lines people. The serial number list is huge. The end of November is gonna be a very stressful time for my buds over at the CPS in Irvine.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_1D_Mark_III.html
    November 1st An official announcement from Canon in Australia (no doubt others will shortly follow)
    • To owners of the EOS-1D Mark III:
    • We regret to inform that some units of the EOS-1D Mark III digital SLR camera (launched in May 2007) have been found to have an issue with the Auto Focus Mirror. This issue is limited to a specific range of units, and results in unstable focusing and AF tracking performance when using AI servo continuous shooting, particularly in high temperatures.
    • Please check the serial number as indicated below to confirm whether this issue is relevant to your camera. We are preparing to offer a free service from late November to customers with a! ffected cameras who are experiencing the issues described.
    • We will announce additional details on our website as soon as they become available.
    • We offer our most sincere apologies to all who have been inconvenienced by this issue.
    • How to identify affected products:
    • If the serial number on the bottom of the camera is between 501001 and 546561, it could be affected by the “AF mirror adjustment issue”
    • Contact Information
    • Contact Information for Inquiries:
    • For CPS members, please contact Canon Professional services on the number below:
      Canon Australia
      Canon Professional Services
      1800 804 240
    • For other enquiries, please contact the numbers below:
      Canon Australia
      Customer Care
      13 13 83 (local call)
    • Canon NewZealand
      Customer Care
      09 489 0470
    It not a minor thing for a Japanese company to use a phrase like "We offer our most sincere apologies to all who have been inconvenienced by this issue."
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    I'll have to ask about this either today or early next week when I stop by at the Jamesburg office to pick up some stuff. They told me Monday that it wasnt a serial number issue and that if the body performs to expectations then leave it. I guess thats kinda whats in the release...
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited November 3, 2007
    The statement gives a range of serial numbers but also says if you're
    happy with the focus, no need for you to send the camera in for the
    repair.

I'm sending mine in.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    Does anyone know if it's "safe" to order a new 1DMkIII from, say B&H?
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2007
    Nimai wrote:
    Does anyone know if it's "safe" to order a new 1DMkIII from, say B&H?
    I would hope so.

Remember too that not all bodies have this problem and the only way to be
    really sure would be to know that the serial number is outside of the range
    Canon has specified for the recall.
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    I would hope so.

Remember too that not all bodies have this problem and the only way to be
    really sure would be to know that the serial number is outside of the range
    Canon has specified for the recall.
    Here is cautionary tale: I ordered a Mk III from B&H as soon as they got stock again; they had had a long back order because Canon was reportedly fixing the problem at the factory. When mine arrived, before I even shot one exposure, I noticed that it was within the "recalled" serial range. I had no interest in taking a risk that it was a camera with the AF problem, so B&H swapped it out -- same day -- no questions asked. The "second" Mk III had a serial number well outside the "recall" range, therefore ostensibly immune to the identified AF problem. I shot soccer with it a few days later, got some miserably out of focus shots, sent them to Canon and they acknowledged that it was the camera, not the photographer (hey, ya never know!). They invited me to send it in for repair, but call me high maintenance, I think that when you spend that much for a camera body, you're entitled to get one that works, and after owning it for all of six days, I was holding out for a working version.

By this time I had thrown out all the original packaging, but B&H again stepped up and swapped out the body -- this time for one IN the recall range, but with a "blue sticker" on the box indicating that it had specifically been checked for the problem. I have not had a chance to try it out, but for the moment I feel better knowing that this specific body got specific attention for this problem.

So the good news: B&H provided unbelievable service as usual.

The bad news: By Canon's own admission (made only privately to me in the context of my bad images), the problem may not, in fact, be isolated to the identified serial number range.

Rob Galbreath is posting late this week on his results using a new body in which Canon says the problem has been fixed -- I await his report with very mixed feelings!

My advice: hold off until there is clear consensus that the problem is ancient history.
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Thanks for the story, KED-

I think that when you spend that much for a camera body, you hold on to the original packaging! ;) But that's me.

I'm waiting for Rob's report as well.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2007
    There are days I want to pitch all the packaging :D

I bought my mkIII just after they let a few of the bodies go to
    various dealers. I don't know that I have the problem but I intend
    to ship the body back.
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    There are days I want to pitch all the packaging :D

I bought my mkIII just after they let a few of the bodies go to
    various dealers. I don't know that I have the problem but I intend
    to ship the body back.
    If you have shot action sequences in AI Servo/burst mode with good results you are probably OK, but you should check out Rob Galbreath's incredibly detailed series of reports for a thorough description of the symptoms and the conditions under which they crop up (mainly in relatively high temps and bright sunlight, ironically, although my problem with body #2 occurred in very cool temps).

As for packaging, I view chucking it as a sign of my commitment to the hardware! Plus that beautiful box might as well be a big neon sign telling my wife that I haven't stopped feeding my habit! mwink.gif

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.