Options

SD Cards

VapourTrailVapourTrail Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited November 4, 2007 in Cameras
Having ordered my D80 I now need to buy some memory cards. Was considering getting a pair of 2GB SanDisk SecureDigital Extreme III Cards. Could anybody give me an idea of how many images (JPEG and RAW) I could realistically expect to get on each card?

Comments

• Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    I have a D200 (10MP) and can get the following on a 2G stick:
    RAW - 119
    RAW + JPG L/F - 77
    JPG L/F - 223
    JPG L/N - 444

L = Large
    F = Fine
    N = Normal
    But I almost always shoot RAW... or if it's for personal use, JPG L/F. I've never seen any reason to shoot smaller than the highest res the cam will perform at.

HTH...
  • Options
    Phatman113Phatman113 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    My results are a little different than Seymore's, I've got an XTI (10mp) and shooting in RAW i get about 400 shots on a 4GB card. I tried shooting RAW + JPEG, but the JPEGS always turned out much worse than the RAW shots, so I would never use them. Eventually I just saved myself some space on my card and switched to straight RAW shots.

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I just figure on a 10mp camera taking somewhere around 10MB shots (in RAW) so 4GB = 400, 8GB = 800...
    Good for a rough estimate, but not exact. I actually get 399 on my 4GB card, about 798 on my 8GB card mwink.gif but sometimes it's less depending on the shots I took...

I suppose it really depends on the camera and composition of the shots...ne_nau.gif
    http://phatman113.smugmug.com
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi :lust
    - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM lens :lust
    - Kit lens...:cry
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 4, 2007
    How many images you will get, to a certain extent, is a function of what your image is. The actual final number of images may vary by 10-20% in my experience with Canon cameras, but I doubt camera brand plays any role. YOu will get less variation with RAW files, and more and more with smaller jpgs, as the camera throws away data in is on board image processing.

Graphical images with minimal small details will be smaller files, than pictures with large areas of very fine detail.

Think a small building in a large even blue sky, versus pictures of fall foliage with lots of different colored leaves.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin