Options

rose petal basin

digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
edited February 28, 2005 in Holy Macro
Took this shot today while waiting for a big snowstorm to roll in. Looks like I got a birthday wish, lots of snow! :clap

anyway, all feedback on this shot would be greatly appreciated. any tips on improvement? thanks!! :wink

16592390-M-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Wonderful color. thumb.gifWhat a BD wish you have. I hate SNOW.ne_nau.gif

Have a great BD.clap.gif
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    digital faerie
    First :bday
    Second great shot love the red/yellow againist the black background
    Wouldn't change a thing

What a BD wish you have. I hate SNOW
    I second that....I hate snow too:bluduh

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    First :bday
    Second great shot love the red/yellow againist the black background
    Wouldn't change a thing

I second that....I hate snow too:bluduh

Thanks
    Fred
    thanks you guys! just looked at the forecast and we could end up with a foot of snow. wheee! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    hey faerie!

i'm not sure i can pinpoint it, but there are a few things that just don't do it for me on that image. It could be oversat, oversharpening, lack of a full petal image, softness on the droplets on the right side. ne_nau.gif

It's pretty, but just isn't making me jump for joy, if you know what i mean.

Can I see a version that hasn't been worked over in PS, just for grins?

Happy birthday, and congrats on your snow wish come true. It's cold, gray, and raining here. But we've got the wood stove cranked and the oscars on in the background, so it could be worse.

sorry...feeling a little grumpy this afternoon.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    fish wrote:
    hey faerie!

i'm not sure i can pinpoint it, but there are a few things that just don't do it for me on that image. It could be oversat, oversharpening, lack of a full petal image, softness on the droplets on the right side. ne_nau.gif

It's pretty, but just isn't making me jump for joy, if you know what i mean.

Can I see a version that hasn't been worked over in PS, just for grins?

Happy birthday, and congrats on your snow wish come true. It's cold, gray, and raining here. But we've got the wood stove cranked and the oscars on in the background, so it could be worse.

sorry...feeling a little grumpy this afternoon.
    hmmm, yeah, I can see what you mean. ok mr. grumpypants, since you're so nice to me and seeing an original could possibly make you smile, here goes! rolleyes1.gif

first is completely unedited:

16629812-M.jpg

and this one is slightly sharpened and the color toned down a bit:

16629919-M.jpg
  • Options
    KimballPhotographyKimballPhotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    hmmm, yeah, I can see what you mean. ok mr. grumpypants, since you're so nice to me and seeing an original could possibly make you smile, here goes! rolleyes1.gif

first is completely unedited:

16629812-M.jpg

and this one is slightly sharpened and the color toned down a bit:

16629919-M.jpg
    Ooooh, I really like the barely edited version. The full petal against the dark background...now THAT does make it pop. I can see why you cropped the oof right side though...but I think it looks good this way!
    Natalie:thumb

A single photograph can tell an entire story and bring back a multitude of memories.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    Ooooh, I really like the barely edited version. The full petal against the dark background...now THAT does make it pop. I can see why you cropped the oof right side though...but I think it looks good this way!
    why thank you! and thanks for looking! it's a tough call. I'm still deciding on which I like better....I should probably just reshoot it but the petals are a bit flat now. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    yup...I like this one too.

16629919-M.jpg

very nice.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    fish wrote:
    yup...I like this one too.

very nice.
    thanks fish! :curtsey
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Very nice, I took a shot of a fake rose today :)
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 28, 2005
    DF, I like the idea behind this but it's not... something. Sorry I can't put my finger on it... Would love the water pool to be clearer (?)

:bday
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    thanks fish! :curtsey
    My pleasure. Cute curtsey, btw. :)