Options

Its always so Blurry...The Sequel

KaganKagan Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
edited February 28, 2005 in Technique
:scratch Ok I started playing with manual settings. I took this pic when I was able to get the camera to tell me it was halfbetween over and under exposed. You can see what I came up with. Can someone tell me by looking at the exif what it SHOULD have been set on? This was with a tripod btw. Thanks again!
Kagan

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Where is the EXIF?
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    Where is the EXIF?
    It was in the photo. I thought you would open it to look to decide. I wasnt sure what info from it you would need. I will post what I THINK you will need and if thats not right let me know and thanks!

Brightness F/1.0
    Exposure time 1/2 second
    Flash used: None
    F Number 8
    Lens Ap 8.0
    Max Ap F2.8
    Shutter speed 1/1
    ISO 200

Hope that helps you help me. If you need something else just let me know and thanks!
    Kagan
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Ok,what camera are you using?
    Even though its on a tripod,I think the shutter is too slow.Any movement of your young model will cause it to blur.
    Try a different aperture settings maybe 5.6 or f4 and see if you can get the shutter to at least 1/125s
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    Sorry Fuji S7000
    Kagan
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Kagan... @ 1/2 sec, it looks like he (your subject), was not standing still. The left elbow has more movement than the right, and I'm wondering if you're using the 1/2 push on the shutter button for focus before taking the shot. I'm not seeing anything in the shot in focus. You might try shooting something more static.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    :dood put it on FULL AUTO and try again. When you go to shoot, look at the shutter speed and aperture the camera chooses for you.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Kagan... @ 1/2 sec, it looks like he (your subject), was not standing still. The left elbow has more movement than the right, and I'm wondering if you're using the 1/2 push on the shutter button for focus before taking the shot. I'm not seeing anything in the shot in focus. You might try shooting something more static.

Well he is 8..of course he is not standing still! rolleyes1.gif He was doing pretty well though for him. I did use it and have been using it religously. I may be doing something wrong about the way I do it, but I have been using it. Im just really at a loss on this. I know its my lack of knowledge on the settings or something I am doing. Im reading the manual and practicing, checking results, tweaking, but just havent hit a good result for this type of shot. Thanks so much for the help.
    Kagan
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Kagan wrote:
    Well he is 8..of course he is not standing still! rolleyes1.gif He was doing pretty well though for him. I did use it and have been using it religously. I may be doing something wrong about the way I do it, but I have been using it. Im just really at a loss on this. I know its my lack of knowledge on the settings or something I am doing. Im reading the manual and practicing, checking results, tweaking, but just havent hit a good result for this type of shot. Thanks so much for the help.
    Well, I think you also need to have a lighting setup and take the shutter up quite a bit. At least 1/60 would be highly suggested. Faster if your subject is younger than 10... mwink.gif:D
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Well, I think you also need to have a lighting setup and take the shutter up quite a bit. At least 1/60 would be highly suggested. Faster if your subject is younger than 10... mwink.gif:D

Well the Lighting setup is coming...as soon as I get one confounded, unblurred shot that I love to post on here rolleyes1.gif As for my 8 year old I am considering cement shoes!

Thanks again!
    Kagan
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Either use a flash, or make you aperature a great deal smaller and hope the shutter speed comes up enough. Not sure what your exposure indicator looks like, but in that shot I'd think you'd want it a little bit above middle, closer to 6 than to 5 on a scale of 10. Right now everything's gray, and you want greater tonal range.

The reason we can't see your EXIF is because you attached the piccie.

Are you sure the autofocus was on? The autofocus on some cameras has a very hard time indeed in low light situations - that might be the case here.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Take a close look and you'll see the background in focus.
    The camera had no contrast area to focus on except the
    background. Try pointing the center of the frame at his
    fingers/head, halfpress to set focus etc. and reframe to
    take. You need to find some area with enough contrast
    for the camra to focus on. On my camera I could switch
    to manual focus after halfpress then repress after framing.
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    It's ALL shutter speed. As I tried to tell you before, 1/2 second is a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG time for a person to stand still. Either person. The one holding the camera or the one getting photographed.

The background is not blurry because you used the tripod and reduced the camera shake problem.

The child is blurry because it is still too slow a shutter speed to freeze a person that is not VVVEEEEEERRRRYYYYY still.

You can increase the shutter speed by:

Using a larger aperature (smaller number F/stop)
    Increasing your ISO
    Adding more light.