Options

camera thread!!!

Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
edited March 1, 2005 in Cameras
ok, i love my S50, i really do. but i want something more, something better. IT is going to be used or refurb, as thats all i can afford.

Im looking for something probably between 4 & 500, so anything but the rattiest dslrs would be off limits. Im looking for something that has a good size to it that feels very comfortable in my hand. I like to shoot flora, fauna, architecture, and whatever else fits my mood. I love shooting people as well, with a camera or otherwise :uhoh:thumb. i dont print much now, if ever, but would be interested in something that could print 8X10s or maybe a little larger without being too horrible. im not a pro, and dont intend on being one either, but i do like to shoot. so lets here it, whacha got that i shoud look at?

cb
I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.

Comments

• Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Honestly, I would wait till the 350XT is released and goes mainstreem. That will push the price on used 300D's to right about 500. You can pick up a used 300D with lens for around 650-700 on FM. Give that a couple months, and I bet that goes down quite a bit.

Just my .02
  • Options
    amcamc Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    You might want to check out the DMC series of Panasonic. They are in your price range (new) and they do have some hefty models.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    frontview-001.jpgim looking at...

fuji finepix 7000
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    also looking at the panasonic dmcfz20

fz20-3q-001.jpg

and the cannon g6 for starters...

frontview-001.jpg
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    My father bought an FZ15 (similar to the FZ20), it's a pretty nice unit. 10x, or 12 maybe, image stabilization. I would seriously look at the FZ series.
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    CB, I have a fuji S5000... If I could do it all over again, I would wait for the on the canon 300 rebel...

To be able to change lenses... BIG PLUS. I see so many shots I wish I could take, but can't, because of the fixed lens on an inexpensive camera... Sure you can gets some great shots from the Fuji S7000... I have a friend who has one. But the optical zoom is only 6X... That will leave you short with no good options...

Wait a month or two and save your money. Wait 3 or 4 months and save your money.

I think you will be glad you did.

There's my 2 cents.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    My Digital rebel is for sale, alittle more then what your looking to spend, but worth it. PM me if your interested, comes with everything down to the USA warranty card.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    I just sold an FZ10 + 2x256MB memory cards for $350. That would have been perfect for you.

I'd keep your eye out for something similar to that camera. If you do go used rebel, the price of lenses alone would put you out of your budget.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    I just sold an FZ10 + 2x256MB memory cards for $350. That would have been perfect for you.

I'd keep your eye out for something similar to that camera. If you do go used rebel, the price of lenses alone would put you out of your budget.

Dave
    thats what im thinking too, ive got at canon rebel slr with a lens but well its a piece. takes pretty pictures, but i think it might not be good enough for the drebel.

cb
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Cb
    How about a Sony 717
    You can get some good shots from this camera.thumb.gif

Fred
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    How about a Sony 717
    You can get some good shots from this camera.thumb.gif

Fred
    honestly i hadnt really given sonys much thought because i dont like the idea of proprietary memory. but ill check em out.

cb
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    I got the 300D because I know I eventually want to get serious about photography, but I was very pesimistic about the costs of developing pictures. The DRebel offers me the flexibility and scalability I required, while minimizing the upfront costs of going digital. I am still amazed at the resale value of most lenses. I have seen people NUMEROUS times on FM that sell their used lenses for 90% of what they paid brand new. If you buy used, and keep in the same condition, you can often get what you paid in the first place. If you just want something to snap pictures with, a DSLR is probably not the best way to go. For me, the selling point was being ABLE to use the professional type lenses if I wanted to get better. If I decided I wanted to persue photography more aggressivly (which I am) then I could buy some lenses and eventually buy a new body.

This is a very similar argument to the tripod thread. If you are going to progress in photography, you may as well spend money on something that you will use for a long time. And it seems to me that most "new" lenses have infinite scalablity (at least for a couple decades).

My .02 (again... is that .04?)
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Since moolah for lenses is out of reach.... I'd say look at used Canon G3's, G5's or G6's on Fred Miranda and Canon Forums. They're going in the $300's right now, and are a first-rate value-for-money. Full manual, wide angle accessory lens is good (not the extender, though) - all-around good camera.

And yes, Andy, all of those apostrophes are technically correct!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    yeah you know how i am, got the lust bad man real bad. first thing i have to do is sell off this vaio, and then decide what i want to do from there.

cb
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    hey chuck, there are a couple of drebels for sale in the flea market. might wanna check those out. also the 300D is on sale all over the web, as they try to clear out inventory for the 350D xt.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    300D Kit with lens & Warrenty for $550

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/185937
    (appolgies if linking another forum is a faux pa)
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    (appolgies if linking another forum is a faux pa)
    no faux pas. not even a real pas.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    :gun2 :fish

:yikes :yikes
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    :rambo
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    hey take yer bickerin someplace else!
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    hey take yer bickerin someplace else!
    why? if you would have done a search, you would have found at least a dozen threads like this one "i need a better camera but I don't want to pay much for it. what should I get?"

so in the meantime, as we're waiting for this saga to play out...

16687974-L.jpg

:fish
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    listen up you mrs gortons fishstick lazy eyed mackeral low rent bottom feeding catfish if you dont break yourself, ill, ILL, well ill get all huffy and tell my mommy...and shell beat you like a rented mule riding a pink kawi in monterey :thwak:beatwax
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    chas

i can highly recommend the sony f717. you should be able to find one, still new in box, for around 400 or mebbe even less. proprietary memory? all the maj makers make memory sticks, don't worry bout that. the pic quality of the 717 is outstanding.

take a look at bruce's gallery and also at yuri pautov's gallery that should be all the convincing you'd need.

cheers

andy
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    CB...theres blood on the floor atm Re the new rebel 350XT being announced...wait another 4 weeks & you will see body parts as well. If i was on your budget then i would just sit for a bit & pick up a Rebel 300 with a lens or 2 thrown in.

I recon you could get some stuff going with a DSLR.