Options

SF3 - Pyro

pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
edited November 9, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
What do you think, I have some ideas for a title, but first I wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

2648212-9df.jpg

2648211-015.jpg

latest:

Six Years Later, and the Rain Still Won't Stop
PB035575_2copy.jpg
pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    What do you think, I have some ideas for a title, but first I wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

I like #2 more (#1 is way too noisy), but I would explore other directions also mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I like #2 more (#1 is way too noisy), but I would explore other directions also mwink.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    I like the composition! thumb.gif #2 is the better of the two that you posted. I agree with the other comments about the noise in #1.

The clouds in the sky are pretty dramatic but the yellow treatment you gave the sky looks a bit off. What does the original look like in B&W with curves applied to the clouds in the sky to give it a really ominous feel?
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    See, I like the noise, though I think it was pushed a bit too far in the first one. The noise lends a bit more sadness, despair, and loneliness to the image in my eyes. Perhaps a treatment in between the first and second versions would strike a better balance. ne_nau.gif

I'd curious to see the clouds a little less sallow-looking and a smidge warmer. I like the idea of the complementary colors between the top and bottom parts of the frame, and I wonder if going for it fully, by making the sky closer to orange, would help or hurt the overall feeling.

Very nice idea and composition overall. thumb.gif
  • Options
    peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Like Llywelyn, I also like the noise.

For me, the message isn't totally clear although I get the general feeling that you are trying to portray the lonely, faceless, impersonal side of city life and I think the noise adds to that message, though I'd also agree with Nikolai that it's worth still persuing something more.

Only other comment is in relation to the file size which I'm surprised that for the simplicity of the tones the files are 410 and 360 KB each. I would have thought that you could get a much more compact file than that and still maintain the quality.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    When one speaks of b&w, and it's first cousin sepia, "noise" in the right situation adds to the impact of the image. (I don't see yellow very well, so I'm not sure if that's actually sepia.) In this case, it adds to the chill of the scene. I say keep #1 if this will be your entry.

As for the composition, I'd be tempted to crop out the top below the dark spot in the cloud, or just above it, and on the bottom just below the rail and the first wire......
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Here is a slightly better version and a title. I wanted to to post this first without a title to see the feedback.

Six Years Later, and the Rain Still Won't Stop
    PB035575_2copy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    I like the noise better in this one--much better balance. thumb.gif The sky still isn't quite hitting the mark with me, though. I'm now wondering if Mark's suggested crop would help with the sky. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    I dunno man, it looks photoshopped to me mwink.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

Great cartoon!!!

:lol
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

Photoshopped? you want photoshopped? Don't make me break out Rule 34 on you mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    Why Photoshop when you can use glue? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    Photoshopped? you want photoshopped? Don't make me break out Rule 34 on you mwink.gif
    Laughing.gif! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Why Photoshop when you can use glue? mwink.gif
    I guess it's getting contageous..:-)
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    I tried to use white out, but now for some reason I can't see portions of the screen.... and now there's this flakey stuff on my keyboard.....headscratch.gif
    Mark
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    But seriously folks, the subject of this photo is the person and what is being looked at, and they are looking at a cityscape that is gloomily missing something. My crop suggestion hones in on that for me. In fact, I did it myself and used it for my desktop for now!

(And being a Red Sox fan, maybe what's missing from that city is Joe Torre..)
    Mark
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    But seriously folks, the subject of this photo is the person and what is being looked at, and they are looking at a cityscape that is gloomily missing something. My crop suggestion hones in on that for me. In fact, I did it myself and used it for my desktop for now!

(And being a Red Sox fan, maybe what's missing from that city is Joe Torre..)

That would be harsh if I was a fan =cP

I'm still considering doing some work on it. But thank you for the "desktop" compliment

So is this what you were talking about?
    PB035575_3copy.jpg

vs old:
    PB035575_2copy.jpg

PS: Is the title too subtle? I don't really wanna come on strong with it, but I want the people to get it.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2007
    New image didn't come through... Are you reworking it?
    Mark
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    New image didn't come through... Are you reworking it?
    my hosting server (divshare) is awesome ... when it works. It's unlimited storage/unlimited bandwidth, but some times their servers can't seem to stand up to the strain.

Put up a photobucket version.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2007
    I have cut much more off on the bottom, all the way up to just below the rail that she's leaning on, and then all the way down on top to just above the antenna on the ESB....
    Mark
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    I have cut much more off on the bottom, all the way up to just below the rail that she's leaning on, and then all the way down on top to just above the antenna on the ESB....

That's a little too much for me. I think I'll keep it at a current crop
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Awesome shot! I love the PP on the latest one....

Honestly, this would look GREAT as a pano, but I'd rather see it as an extension of the original image, not a crop of the original.... To give you more of a feeling that she's just so over the feel of everything - that's it's really opressing even more.

But I think I really like it as is....

As for the title, at first I was like "whatever". But then as it sunk in, I really like it. Maybe in all small letters? No caps? Or is that silly. Almost like she's resigned to it.

Anyway, great shot! (And I LOVED your winner in the last contest! Sorry I never said anything.... And thanks for all the encouragement! VERY helpful! I was still shocked I won with it, though.)