Options

Basic Lighting Help, Please

leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
edited November 7, 2007 in Technique
So here's whats up: I am ready to move into some lighting and off camera flash. I could order a kit of lights/stands and figure it all out, comparing kits and such, but I already own a 580EX, and figure I should use what I got, learn it, and only buy up when I feel I can't achieve what I want with what I got. So I am getting a light stand, an umbrella/hotshoe bracket, a couple different size/color umbrellas, and a flash bracket (to use with my 20D); and work with that until I am comfortable with what off camera lighting means to a photograph. I hope to expand my lighting as the need to get the better shot hits me.

So my questions:

1) To fire my 580EX off camera, should I buy the ST-E2 and make simple work of it? Or should I go for my other choice, the RC Elinchrom Skyport system, a system that can grow wiih my knowledge of lighting? If the Skyport is a practical answer to what I am attempting, I think I would like to go in that direction. Would the Skyports be simple to use, and work well with the EOS camera, and the 580EX? Am I going to be happy with that decision (the skyports)? Can I use the Skyports, or for that matter the ST-E2, with the flash bracket (with a 20D), to fire the flash, or do I need the 2 foot land line, Canons 'off camera' extension? Is there a less expensive altenative to this adaptor, or is it purely priotory? I know the IR (ST-E2) would be 'line of sight', so does this mean I could never have the flash behind the camera ie. over my left shoulder?

2) AND: What would be a basic background system, that I would be happy with as a beginner, to take head, up to 3/4 body, portrait shots?

3) AND (if you please): Is there something more to this basic light system that someone would recommend I get right off, along with what I am already choosing to explore, that may really take my shots to the next level, or I may wish I had, right off? A modeling light? A hot light? Or maybe a small light (hot light/strobe?) for background lighting? Something simple I may also wish I had brought into this scenereo?

I've searched and read many of the threads here at Dgrin, but I'm still left with these questions. I've found suggestions, and some subject matter, searching threads on several other sights, but it's the advice I find on Dgrin that I have grown to trust.

By the way, I do have a DIGISLAVE DX 3000 but have never really figured out how to use it as a second flash, especially with the pre-flash from my Canon gear that sets it off? Will an RC Trigger work on the Digislave?

I would be quite interested in any comments that any Dgrinners would have to these questions that are puzzling me. Thank you.
Growing with Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    One big thing to know is how much of a budget do you have.

I'm a Nikon person, but I know plenty of Canon heads that will help you out on your proprietary questions.

You've read this, right? Start with post 1 from the drop down if you haven't.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    First, comparing radio triggers to the ST-E2:

ST-E2
    Simple and quick to set up.
    Can use the ETTL metering system.
    Has limited range and requires line of sight when used outdoors.
    Only works with Canon flashes.

Radio Triggers
    Considerably longer range.
    Can be use with cheaper strobes (but you'll want one with manual power control)
    No metering--manual power only.

The ST-E2 works well indoors and is useful for some simple outdoor setups. The radio triggers start to shine when you want to get fancy in location shooting. Personally I use both systems.

The background system I use is a Bogen Kit which holds 10x10 Muslin backdrops. I prefer a bigger background because I like to have a lot of separation between my model and the background. At home I have a couple hooks in the ceiling I can hang the pole from so I don't need to bother with the stands. For space constrained situations, muslin is not a good choice because the wrinkles show if the model is too close to the background. If you need portable, paper is probably the best choice. For a less portable background, a painted 4x8 sheet of drywall works great and its really cheap.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 7, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    So here's whats up: I am ready to move into some lighting and off camera flash. I could order a kit of lights/stands and figure it all out, comparing kits and such, but I already own a 580EX, and figure I should use what I got, learn it, and only buy up when I feel I can't achieve what I want with what I got. So I am getting a light stand, an umbrella/hotshoe bracket, a couple different size/color umbrellas, and a flash bracket (to use with my 20D); and work with that until I am comfortable with what off camera lighting means to a photograph. I hope to expand my lighting as the need to get the better shot hits me.

So my questions:

1) To fire my 580EX off camera, should I buy the ST-E2 and make simple work of it? Or should I go for my other choice, the RC Elinchrom Skyport system, a system that can grow wiih my knowledge of lighting? If the Skyport is a practical answer to what I am attempting, I think I would like to go in that direction. Would the Skyports be simple to use, and work well with the EOS camera, and the 580EX? Am I going to be happy with that decision (the skyports)? Can I use the Skyports, or for that matter the ST-E2, with the flash bracket (with a 20D), to fire the flash, or do I need the 2 foot land line, Canons 'off camera' extension? Is there a less expensive altenative to this adaptor, or is it purely priotory? I know the IR (ST-E2) would be 'line of sight', so does this mean I could never have the flash behind the camera ie. over my left shoulder?

To decide whether to use an ST-E2 or a radio transmitter trigger like the Skyport or PWs, comes down to whether you wish to make use of the ETTL function of the EOS 580ex flash. The Skyports will trigger your 580ex in the flash's manual mode, but you will lose ETTL with them. With the ST-E2 you can retain ETTL function. SO - do you want/need ETTL? You paid a lot for ETTL in your 580ex. A manual flash like the Vivitar 285HV ( without ETTL) sells for about $85 if I recall.
    When I plan to shoot candids, where I do not have control of the distance the subject stands from the flash, kids playing, family gatherings, parties, dances, etc I find ETTL invaluable and trigger my off camera 580ex with a ST-E2. I love doing this at Christmas, as I discussed here .

BUT.....if I am in a studio, where I TELL the subject where to stand, where I choose where to put the lightstands, and where I control the movement in the room, I strongly prefer fully manual flashes - whether battery powered speedlites or AC driven studio flashes. Since I get to control flash to subject distance in these circumstances, the lighting is always consistent from frame to frame, the exposure never changes from the subject wandering too and fro, and hence the camera aperture and shutter speed can be left in manual and never changed. Just use a PW or a Skyport to trigger the strobe ( keep your shutter speed below the flash synch maximum ~1/200th or so depending on your camera ) and you can concentrate on looking through the viewfinder and shooting away. The ST-E2 does let you use High Speed Synch which can be s significant advantage out of doors in that your shutter speed can go up to 1/2000th then with a 580ex. Radio triggers like the Skyports will not permit shutter speeds faster than the camera bodies native flash synch speed ( 1/200th or 1/250th for most Canon bodies )

There is not a real price difference between the ST-E2 and a set of radio triggers ( unless you buy the cheap ebay radio triggers).

It comes down to do you want ETTL, or not. The short answer for myself is that I own both systems. I use an ST-E2 for candids, and more spontaneous shooting, but PWs to trigger my light stands in the studio.
    2) AND: What would be a basic background system, that I would be happy with as a beginner, to take head, up to 3/4 body, portrait shots?

You do not really need any backgrounds or other devices to start with. If you look around a bit, you can find empty brick walls, plain white walls, autumn foliage ( maybe a little while yet ). If you feel you need an artificial background, stands, paper, muslin, etc are a phone call away. I bought a piece of matte vinyl 54 inches wide for backgrounds for shots with a black background. Look at Yuri's portaits in the People thread here on dgrin. He takes stunning portraits that make your heart melt, with backgrounds he finds in his hometown in Russia, and uses a flash only some of the time.
    3) AND (if you please): Is there something more to this basic light system that someone would recommend I get right off, along with what I am already choosing to explore, that may really take my shots to the next level, or I may wish I had, right off? A modeling light? A hot light? Or maybe a small light (hot light/strobe?) for background lighting? Something simple I may also wish I had brought into this scenereo?

I strongly suggest you do a search here on dgrin for flash, fill flash, ST-E2 etc here as there are dozens of threads about flash usage here on dgrin. I will also make a plea for you to go to http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html and read and practice the techniques posted there. You will find that a camera and one or maybe two off camera flashes can really take you shots to the next level.

A nice Impact 48 inch round, foldable 5 in 1 reflector is a nice gadget - white, black, silver, gold, and scrim all in one portable device. It will make your single flash work like two for the price of one. B&H offers it with its own stand for about $110 or so.

Here are a couple links to get you started

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=665711&postcount=3

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=74757&highlight=ST-E2+pathfinder
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin