Options

I guarantee nobody has taken photos like these!!

sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
edited November 8, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
well unless you found your way into space on a shuttle... obviously not my photos but "other cool shots" for sure!

http://www.texasjim.com/NASApix/NASA%20pix.htm

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited October 31, 2007
    Cool shots for sure!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Awesome...

Man, I would love to be up there, with or without camera...
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Uh oh. Technically, when you're in orbit, you're always falling! :yikes
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    Uh oh. Technically, when you're in orbit, you're always falling! :yikes

Details, details! lol3.gif
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    amazing pictures!
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Awe come on. It can't be that hard to shoot in space. Everything moves slow and the lighting is consistent. mwink.gif

Maybe I can get on the Virgin Record Shuttle :D
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    well unless you found your way into space on a shuttle... obviously not my photos but "other cool shots" for sure!

http://www.texasjim.com/NASApix/NASA%20pix.htm

An exciting but scary thought Space Travel.
    Those images are awesome, the view from up there must be unbelievable.

Thanks for the link thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    ightenhillightenhill Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    great shots..thanks for the link
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Awe come on. It can't be that hard to shoot in space. Everything moves slow and the lighting is consistent. mwink.gif

Maybe I can get on the Virgin Record Shuttle :D

Bah...costs too much. Didntcha see the Astronaut Farmer movie? You can build your own rocket at home and fly into space - just don't lose your wedding band in the electronics...and watch out for those guys in the black helicopters...
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Wow, those are soem amazing pictures. I wonder if that was a personal camera that he took up, or if it was a NASA issue and he was taking the shots for them. Either way pretty amazing!
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Wow, thanks for the link, these make great desktop images!

Charlie
  • Options
    JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    Nasa Has Nice Toys!!!
    Nasa has all kinds of nice toys. This is a photo of my Brother-In-Law's Brother, Jeff Williams. I think this was taken on the Space Station. I think Nasa has some kind of deal with NIKON. If you want to see thousands of Nasa photo go to www.nasa.gov and click on galleries.

216265965-L.jpg
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    Cool! Ask him about spacewalks sometime, it must be amazing stepping (or floating) out of the hatch with the planet sitting there below you!

I think that NASA also has (or had) a deal with Hasselblad at some point. And of course they have IMAX gear up there often. I need to go see some of those NASA IMAX movies!
  • Options
    FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    JESTER wrote:
    I think Nasa has some kind of deal with NIKON.

I like to keep up on what is going on with shuttle flights etc. and I am pretty sure that most of the still cameras in day to day use on the station and shuttle are Kodak DCS 760s, which are based on Nikon F5s. A lot of people would be suprised that they are still using cameras that were released in 2001, but when you look at NASA's requirements for certifying operational hardware then you realize how much work and money is required to update to a newer model. My understanding is that NASA is still using 1998 vintage laptop computers for many things on the shuttle.

There are different requirements for hardware that supports shuttle/station operations (which includes the DCS 760s since they are used to document everything from the heat shield conditions, to the correct number of bolts being installed when assembly the space station) and non-operational hardware, which only has to be certified not to cause harm, its failure to operate does not have an impact on the safety of the crew or vehicle. Things like the IMAX cameras would most likely fall into the second category.
    --Travis
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2007
    Foochar wrote:
    I like to keep up on what is going on with shuttle flights etc. and I am pretty sure that most of the still cameras in day to day use on the station and shuttle are Kodak DCS 760s, which are based on Nikon F5s. A lot of people would be suprised that they are still using cameras that were released in 2001, but when you look at NASA's requirements for certifying operational hardware then you realize how much work and money is required to update to a newer model. My understanding is that NASA is still using 1998 vintage laptop computers for many things on the shuttle.

There are different requirements for hardware that supports shuttle/station operations (which includes the DCS 760s since they are used to document everything from the heat shield conditions, to the correct number of bolts being installed when assembly the space station) and non-operational hardware, which only has to be certified not to cause harm, its failure to operate does not have an impact on the safety of the crew or vehicle. Things like the IMAX cameras would most likely fall into the second category.

You are probably right. In the photo they are Nikon cameras but one has the Kodak attachment. And as far as the requirement for the government, they are probably like the $700 hammer. The manufacturer has so many specs they have to meet to sell to the govt. But they do take nice pictures don't they?
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    I love working for NASA. :D One of the hardest jobs I have is picking a cover image for our magazine every quarter. NASA just has a treasure trove of galleries and amazing images. One of my favorite galleries to browse is their Image of the Day gallery: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/Previous_images_of_the_Day_Collection_archive_1.html

They put some of the most amazing photos there (which saves me some time if I'm not looking for a mission-specific photo!). thumb.gif

You can already buy rides to space and give interstellar photography a try yourself. mwink.gif I'm looking forward to the completion of the XPrize.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    Thanks Llywellen. That is a great site. I've added it to my favorites.
  • Options
    banbrobanbro Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    I have seen these images before (from another forum) and it still leaves me awe-struck. I can't get over how "fake" the images look... more like they are from a museum than an actual space flight. Look at images 3, 7,7 ,8 ,10 & 11 especially.... the colors, whites... it all looks so perfect, almost like you are looking at a picture of a diorama. So, what gives it that appearance, the absence of the pollution in the air that we see every day? The atmospheric conditions? Proximity to light source? ne_nau.gif

I think these shots are still as spectacular as the first time I saw them, thanks for posting the link!
    Brock

Nikon D200 / various glass
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    :jawdrop These are spectacular... Thanks for sharing the link!
    Chris
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    And a nice tie-in to the safe return of Discovery today. clap.gif
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    I guarantee nobody has taken photos like these

well, obviously somebody has
    mwink.gif

but yea, seriously cool images there. And mucho thanks to all our NASAfolk for the hard work they do just so that we can decorate our computers with (literally) out-of-this-world pix.
    clap.gif

_