Un-official Unsolicited Vista and Windows 7 Advice Thread

Comments

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Alright, alright - we've all gotten our Vista vs. Mac OSX laughs in - now let's get this thread back on track! deal.gif
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    I think this is a great thread
    Ya the fanboy comments are beyond old.

The mac pc debate will rage on forever or until one of the two go under (which ain't hapening in our lifetimes).

While there are some inherant issues w/ Vista. Go ahead and tell me that OS X 10.0 wasn't riddled w/ problems in 2001. I had to install it 4 times just to get OS X up and running on my mac.

Please.. Give it a rest...
    edited November 7, 2007
    How to help Vista run faster
    In the following link, you will see how Vista turns on many applications that allot of people don't use. This is so that in the case that you DO use it, it will be "plug and play".

There are a bunch of great tips here. It does recommend turning down some Aero functions, but that's part of the reason I like Vista so much! So I leave all my Aero settings maxed out.

http://thehiddenguide.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-to-make-windows-vista-run-faster.html

-Jon
    edited November 7, 2007
    Good find! Turning off services you don't use is a good way to reduce overhead (though it's not much, but still...)

From the above link:
    How to disable Windows service open up the service window
    click start then Run type services.msc click ok
    to disable service right click and choose properties then from the properties window Edit start up type and choose disabled and press ok

Some of this service are not useful for most users and it can be disabled

Windows Time
    Maintains date and time synchronization on all clients and servers in the network

Print Spooler
    Loads files to memory for later printing

Note: if you don't have printer you can disable this service

Tablet PC Input Service
    Enables Tablet PC pen and ink functionality

Note: if you don't have tablet pc you can disable this service

IP Helper
    support for
    IPv6

Note: IPv6 is not used right now you can disabled this service

Readyboost
    Provides support for improving system performance using Flash Memory as cashing memory to improve the system performance

Note: If you planning not to use Readyboost disable this service

Routing and Remote Access
    Offers routing services to businesses in local area and wide area network environments

Note: if you don't use VPN you can disable this service

Offline Files

you can disable this service if you don't use Offline Files

Distributed Link Tracking Client

if you have only one computer you can disable this service, if you are on network you won't be able to access to other computers

Shell Hardware Detection

Provides notifications for AutoPlay hardware events.

you will no longer see pop up when you insert device ec (e.g USB , Camera )

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
    Provides image acquisition services for scanners and cameras

Note: you can disable this service if you don't use camera or scanner on your computer

Windows Error Reporting Service
    Allows errors to be reported when programs stop working or responding and allows existing solutions to be delivered
    sometimes it can be annoying when every time program stop working , if you get tired of this warning you can disable this and you will no loner see warning message
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Alright, alright - we've all gotten our Vista vs. Mac OSX laughs in - now let's get this thread back on track! deal.gif

Fine :D What the heck is this:
    usernotificationcenter-20071108-101653.jpg
    edited November 8, 2007
    Yikes.

All kidding aside - it's a Mac/Boot Camp/Parallels (whichever it is) error. Not only is that error non-standard to a Vista user, but even the language is Apple and not Microsoft.

"mount" "initialization of file system" and the red stop sign are not native to MS Vista.

(You know me Andy, I'm not poking fun at Apple in this - just trying to be helpful.)

It's likely related to the different filesystems used by OSX and Vista (NTFS vs. ???) but I have no idea what the solution would be (other than to do as the prompt suggests and increase the timeout length.)
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    HarlanBear wrote:

1. My monitor profile, calibrated using Spyder 2 Express and set as default, does not always load up on first booting the computer. It will finally load if rebooted, but is inconsistent. I usually “close” the computer at night using Sleep mode, so this isn’t a big deal. But comes up when new programs are introduced and need to reboot.

I have a similar issue. Running an HP Vista laptop, I have two monitors (lappie and external) profiled using the latest version of ColorVision's software. Every single time the computer is locked, Vista (I assume) re-profiles my monitors back to their original horrible state. I have to run Profile Chooser and re-select the proper profiles for each monitor. It's maddening. Anyone have a solution?
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    HarlanBear wrote:
    Except the outrageous pricing. ylsuper.gifdeal.gif
    I just wanted to say that for systems with similar specs, macs are actually CHEAPER than PC's. That said you can get bare bones PC systems whereas macs only go down so far.

thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Do you use the sidebar, and if so what gadgets have a permanent spot on yours? Or do you use the google version?

Have to agree wrt Avast! - I canned Norton a long time ago and have never missed it. Avast! is free and works well without trying to take over my system. Kapersky gets good reviews and I have seen deals for getting it free every so often as well, so that's another option.

As for the UAC, maybe it's just me but I don't do things that kick it off very often. I guess I'm not loading and unloading programs constantly like some folks...ne_nau.gif
    edited November 8, 2007
    This is the other error I get now all day long

microsoft_windows_vista-20071108-131859.jpg

The system bluescreens, then reboots itself. I'm not doing anything when it happens.
    edited November 8, 2007
    Andy,

This one I can potentially be more helpful with. Next time it happens click on that details option and post a screenshot of everything it says.

If you wanted me to be really helpful around here someone would donate a Mac for me to install Vista on so I could help troubleshoot these things! :ivar
  • HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I just wanted to say that for systems with similar specs, macs are actually CHEAPER than PC's. That said you can get bare bones PC systems whereas macs only go down so far.

Hi Mike, et. al.

I'd love to explore this subject of cost v performance, but think it would be better in a separate thread. Therefore, I will start one by posting my PC, specs and cost, and we can go from there. I'm certainly here to learn from those who know.
  • awpollardawpollard Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 8, 2007
    Another Nifty Vista Feature that I turn off:
    Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off

Remote Differential Compression

In theory this is supposed to compare Target area with Source when copying files to/from Network/CD/DVD. It is suppose to save time by not copying duplicates that exist. I have found it to add hours to DVD/CD burns when enabled.
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 8, 2007
    awpollard wrote:

In theory this is supposed to compare Target area with Source when copying files to/from Network/CD/DVD. It is suppose to save time by not copying duplicates that exist. I have found it to add hours to DVD/CD burns when enabled.
    Wow, hours?

I wonder if that could be causing my random network drops when copying files across computers. I'll have to try that when i get home.
    Pedal faster
    edited November 8, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Wow, hours?

I wonder if that could be causing my random network drops when copying files across computers. I'll have to try that when i get home.

The copying of large files across networks is something that MS has always screwed up. I find Vista to be a little better about it, but we're talking about a little better than terrible here.rolleyes1.gif
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    HarlanBear wrote:
    Hi Mike, et. al.

I'd love to explore this subject of cost v performance, but think it would be better in a separate thread. Therefore, I will start one by posting my PC, specs and cost, and we can go from there. I'm certainly here to learn from those who know.
    HB, when I read this I laughed a bit - I knew what would happen. From the glance I took at the thread it came to pass. Nice try, but there is no logic when passion is involved. Don't take it personally! They (the zealots on both sides) just can't help it. :D
    edited November 8, 2007
    awpollard wrote:

Yikes. That's bizzare. Sure there isn't something else at play here? I've never disabled it and my DVD burns (full of data) take about 15 minutes. Most everything I can read on RDC indicates that it's only related to networks and not CD/DVD. I'd be interested to find info to the contrary for sure.
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 8, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Yikes. That's bizzare. Sure there isn't something else at play here? I've never disabled it and my DVD burns (full of data) take about 15 minutes. Most everything I can read on RDC indicates that it's only related to networks and not CD/DVD. I'd be interested to find info to the contrary for sure.
    Just checked my Vista box and I already had it disabled. Must be the Mac and PC not speaking Samba nicely. Tower of Babel I suppose.
    Pedal faster
    edited November 8, 2007
    This is a good opportunity to point out other items in that list than be safely disabled for a (perhaps) performance boost:

From the Control Panel open Programs and Features
    • Look on the left side and you'll see "Turn Windows Features on or off"
    You can turn off:
    • Remote Differential Compression
    • Tablet PC Optional Components
    • Windows DFS Replication Service
    • Windows Fax & Scan
    • Windows Meeting Space
    Obviously if you use any of these things (fax, Windows Live Meeting, Tablet) you don't want to turn those off!

Some people turn off indexing as well, but I find the instant search far to useful to do that.
    edited November 8, 2007
    And here's 10 (mostly-good) similar tips:

http://microsofthelp.wordpress.com/2007/11/01/top-10-windows-vista-tips/

As I said before, I don't turn off indexing, but I've done most of these other ones.
  • HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    HB, when I read this I laughed a bit - I knew what would happen. From the glance I took at the thread it came to pass. Nice try, but there is no logic when passion is involved. Don't take it personally! They (the zealots on both sides) just can't help it. :D

No kidding.:whew

But some interesting points if you go hunting. Still haven't hit on the original point, though. Come on over and join the fray.
    edited November 9, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Andy,

This one I can potentially be more helpful with. Next time it happens click on that details option and post a screenshot of everything it says.

If you wanted me to be really helpful around here someone would donate a Mac for me to install Vista on so I could help troubleshoot these things! :ivar

microsoft_windows_vista-20071109-013403.jpg
    microsoft_windows_vista-20071109-013432.jpg
    microsoft_windows_vista-20071109-013500.jpg
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Lee's mention of Samba problems made me remember my own. When I was using XP on our desktop PC I was able to connect to my PC's shared folders using my MacBook Pro and samba (or cifs) without any problem.

Now since I installed vista ultimate, my mac can't find my pc or the local network at all. I searched google and I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

So what gives?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited November 9, 2007
    Mike,

Check the Network and Sharing Center in Vista and make sure you have:

Public Folder Sharing - on
    File Sharing - on
    Password Protected sharing - off

See if that helps any?
    edited November 9, 2007
    Andy,

Judging from other users online (and assuming your MiniDump log looks like theres) it seems to be a problem with this build a parallels (5160). Have you got any anti-virus software installed? Some users have reported success after uninstalling their AV software.

You're saavy enough to survive without AV - just make sure you open the 3MB e-mail from me with the .exe file mwink.gif
    edited November 9, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Andy,

Judging from other users online (and assuming your MiniDump log looks like theres) it seems to be a problem with this build a parallels (5160). Have you got any anti-virus software installed? Some users have reported success after uninstalling their AV software.

You're saavy enough to survive without AV - just make sure you open the 3MB e-mail from me with the .exe file mwink.gif
    Hm... no AV installed, RUNNING, though I have several packages, have to, because we need to troubleshoot all the different anti-virus stuff that thwarts our customers all the time.. I will try to update parallels but I thought it was current.
    edited November 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hm... no AV installed, RUNNING, though I have several packages, have to, because we need to troubleshoot all the different anti-virus stuff that thwarts our customers all the time.. I will try to update parallels but I thought it was current.

I think it is the current version, I think it's just a buggy version. Early reports are that the beta version of build 5162 is more stable.
    edited November 9, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    I have a similar issue. Running an HP Vista laptop, I have two monitors (lappie and external) profiled using the latest version of ColorVision's software. Every single time the computer is locked, Vista (I assume) re-profiles my monitors back to their original horrible state. I have to run Profile Chooser and re-select the proper profiles for each monitor. It's maddening. Anyone have a solution?
    Check the MS KB (start out by searching at microsoft.com).
    There are a few know "sleep" issues like this. I had to troubleshoot a freinds Visa machine that reset it's wirelless protocols every time it went to sleep.

All I did was download an update that targeted this known problem and done.

-Jon
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    JenW wrote:
    I've looked at all the settings and tried to look for a solution for this... whenever I boot up the computer, the start menu has all the default programs back, no matter how many times I remove them. I went to customize start menu and unchecked default programs but they still come back. The ones I've "pinned" to the start menu are fine though. But the recently run programs always get replaced by the default ones, which is annoying. Anyone know how to 'fix' this?
    ne_nau.gif

Okay, I found a fix for this on winhelponline.com

* Click Start, type regedit.exe and press ENTER
    * Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Advanced

* In the right-pane, create a new DWORD value named StartMenuInit
    * Double-click StartMenuInit and set 3 its data
    * Close Regedit.exe

It was easy and worked like a charm. Here's the link. Hope this helps anyone else with this problem out.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
    edited November 10, 2007
    JenW wrote:
    It was easy and worked like a charm. Here's the link. Hope this helps anyone else with this problem out.

FANTASTIC! And thanks for sharing the fix on here - that's what this thread is all about! wings.gif