Options

Backpacking Sequoia National Park

kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
edited November 8, 2007 in Journeys
This is a photo/travel log of my recent backpacking trip to Sequoia National Park. My roommate and I spent 3 nights in the backcountry, it was a great trip, and a great opportunity to take some photos! :D

My camera is a Nikon D80 with 18-200 VR Zoom Nikkor lens. I also took my manual shutter control.

----> This trip was pretty much my first opportunity to shoot in the wilderness, so I wasn't as satisfied as usual with some of the resulting shots, especially after seeing other dGrin Members' contributions. :bow <----

We spent our first night car-camping at Lodgepole (6,700 ft). This picture was from the drive into the park- the autumn colors were absolutely beautiful:
DSC_0339copy1.jpg

The following morning, we got our packs together around 9:00 and headed for Cahoon Meadow, which was about 2.5mi out. Our plan was to get to Twin Lakes (9,600ft) and see if we felt like doing the last 800ft/1.5 mile up to Sillman Pass.

(I spent the first couple miles trying to figure out how to rig my camera somewhere on the outside of my bag so I could have it handy along the trail. I couldn't find a solution, so from here on out most of the photos are of destinations that allowed enough time to lose the pack for a few minutes.)

DSC_0167copy1.jpg

We walked through yellow meadows, switchbacked up steep hills, and trotted over bubbling streams all the way up to Twin Lakes. (which was at about 7mi/ 9,600 ft if I remember correctly)
Big Twin:
DSC_0052editcopy.jpg

We got to Twin Lakes, took a break and decided to head up the hill to Sillman Pass (10,400ft). When we got up there, we were totally blown away by the beauty of the place and the site where we would camp that night. Here's a series of photos from Sillman Pass.

DSC_0092copy1.jpg

Looking South:
DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0091copy1.jpg

DSC_0096copy1.jpg
This night was beautiful. We had a fire in an ancient rock formation and enjoyed views of the moon and the heavens all night.
Long exposure looking North:
DSC_0117copy2.jpg

I awoke the next morning, had some tea and snapped this shot:
DSC_0139.jpg

...and we departed, going east into the valley that's home to the Ranger Lakes. (Beville, Ranger, Lost) It was a pretty leisurely day at 7mi and change, so we took our time to do a little sightseeing. That evening we arrived at Seville Lake, our home for the night.
Seville Lake:
DSC_0223.jpg
Fall Colors at Seville Lake:
DSC_0220copy1.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

We left the following morning and continued towards JO Pass and Jennie Lake (our destination for night 3). We passed through beautiful Rowell Meadow around lunchtime. No sign of any wildlife at this meadow, which was a bit of a surprise. I guess everyone had closed shop for winter.
Rowell Meadow:
DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

We arrived at Jennie Lake that evening with plenty of time to relax, gather some firewood and make dinner. (Cous-cous was sort of the name of the game on this trip in terms of dinner. We had a combination of dried tomatoes and lemon-spinach to mix it up.)

(Jennie Lake was by far the most beautiful lake we saw on this trip, and I think it's because of this combined with the lake's relative accessibility that we were disappointed to find evidence of use. People had left a Nature's Way wrapper, and some cans in a firepit. We were annoyed to say the least, and packed out what we could.)

We had a beautiful campsite at the far end of Jennie Lake:
DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0285copy1.jpg

The next morning, we climbed back up to JO Pass, and down from there to Lodgepole. The hiking this day was particularly difficult considering our feet were hating us, and almost the entire day was downhill (almost 3,000ft).

Overall it was a fantastic first backpacking trip, I couldn't have asked for more. Well, maybe some more know-how about wilderness photography. :)

Back to civilization: :cry
DSC_0367copy1.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Kit V.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."

Comments

• Options
    ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Looks like an amazing hike! Thanks for sharing! Great pictures, amazing fall colors clap.gif
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Beautiful scenery and very nice pictures. Looks like you didn't do too bad with the photos the 1st time out. Thanks for sharing.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    CapturedByGraceCapturedByGrace Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    Not bad for your 1st time out.
    Awesome scenery.
    This place is on my list of places to go in my lifetime.
  • Options
    scottwdwscottwdw Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    Makes me want to get on a plane and head out west. It's been far too long since I've been out there.

The only thing I see you need to work on is hyperfocal focusing with the 18-200VR. That way you wouldn't get some of the soft focusing in some of the photos. Those lakes were mirrors!
    Scottwdw
    Nikon D700, 50 f/1.8, 24-120 VR, 28-300 VR, 70-200 VR, 80-400 VR

Photo Blog: Views Infinitum
    My Smugmug Galleries
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2007
    scottwdw wrote:
    The only thing I see you need to work on is hyperfocal focusing with the 18-200VR. That way you wouldn't get some of the soft focusing in some of the photos.

Thanks for the advice- what exactly is hyperfocal focusing and what sort of technique could I use to improve on it (aside from more time shooting) ?

Which photo do you see the soft areas in? ...so I can see what you mean.

Thanks
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    Cool -- thanks for sharing. Keeping the cam handy while backpacking is always a challenge-- especially when it's raining. Everyone has a different system. I usually shoot a bunch of staged hiking shots just as I'm leaving camp with a tripod and the self-timer (or pocket wizards lately). Then the camera gets packed up until breaks. Luckily, the best light is morning and night, so at least I don't miss too much during the days.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited November 7, 2007
    Some really nice destinations in Sequoia & Kings Canyon NP.

My last trip out to the Rae Lakes was one I'll not soon forget (even though
    it was a long time ago).

You're right about signs of humans. The Rae Lakes are about 15 or so miles
    from Roads End yet there were signs of the passage of large numbers of
    people. Go a few miles farther and it's a whole different story.

Thanks for the trip through Sequoia!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pantherlaxpantherlax Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    If you dont mind asking, how old are you and how much photography experience do you have?

I ask because I'm 17 and I plan to do the same as you, go on my first backpacking trip (and take bunch of photos), but when it gets warm.

Btw, I love your pics, especially of the long exposure night shot, and amazing colors in all.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited November 7, 2007
    Hey P-lax! You should try winter camping. It's not too bad as long as you have
    good gear (easily rented too).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2007
    pantherlax wrote:
    how old are you and how much photography experience do you have?
    ...I plan to do the same as you, go on my first backpacking trip...but when it gets warm.

Thanks for the comments- I'm 23. I only have maybe one or two collective years of shooting still photography, but I also went to film school for cinematography, so I guess that sorta counts.

Also, I agree with Ian- you definitely shouldn't limit yourself to summer camping (where do you live?), if you don't like cold, spring and fall can be some of the most beautiful times of year! And overall, never underestimate yourself- some of the hardest trips I've taken have also been the most rewarding. clap.gif
  • Options
    pantherlaxpantherlax Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Thanks for the encouragement, Ian and kitvan.

Now back on topic! lol