Help me pick a protest shot

1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
edited November 17, 2007 in Street and Documentary
I'll try this here, since it is sort of photojournalism. I am trying to pick one of three similar shots, in the mold of Robert Frank, The Americans
These were shot at a Hillary Clinton rally.

219279224-M.jpg

219278944-M.jpg

219279601-M.jpg
My humble gallery...
www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
www.poolinaction.com

Comments

• colfraglesscolfragless Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    I kie Shot #1 the best it appeals to me.... I think you can really tell that you are at a protest in that shot.... the other 2 not so much..... ~Sparky~
    A Day where One can Spend all day doing something they Love is a wonderful day in deed... ~sparky~

Sparkyphotography.net
  • BeezeBeeze Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    #1 says the most to me. The cowgirl is too much of a distraction in #3. #2 is okay but does not deliver the same message as #1.

Nice shots.

RLJ
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    I spend time looking for such shots, and I agree, #1 is the best. Do you have a few others from the opposite direction?

Thanks,

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Nacho wrote:
    I spend time looking for such shots, and I agree, #1 is the best. Do you have a few others from the opposite direction?

Thanks,

N
    I have a bunch more, from all different directions :D I put about twenty up on Smugmug:
    http://sbooth.smugmug.com/gallery/3781404

I tried shooting Raw this time, and doing the b&w conversion by desaturating within the Raw opening window... I haven't converted that many to b&w,

but here's another angle...
    218843686-M.jpg
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • broby6broby6 Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    The faces seem to me to be the key feature and #1 has the woman looking the other way. I agree with Breeze - the cowgirl in #3 isn't engaged in the conversation. In #2 there is a serious dialog going, and I don't think the man is buying it. Maybe cropping similar to #1 would give it more power. Anyway #2 gets my vote. Interesting shots.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Number 2---I like the look on the mans face.
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    broby6 wrote:
    The faces seem to me to be the key feature and #1 has the woman looking the other way. I agree with Breeze - the cowgirl in #3 isn't engaged in the conversation. In #2 there is a serious dialog going, and I don't think the man is buying it. Maybe cropping similar to #1 would give it more power. Anyway #2 gets my vote. Interesting shots.

15524779-Ti.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited November 11, 2007
    I agree about the cowgirl in #3. I guess I like #1 the best. I would have liked to see what's on the signs. headscratch.gif

Cheers,
    edited November 11, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I agree about the cowgirl in #3. I guess I like #1 the best. I would have liked to see what's on the signs. headscratch.gif

Cheers,
    Here are a couple from a different vantage...

217929797-M.jpg

and another that I did a b&w conversion on
    218845113-M.jpg
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited November 11, 2007
    1pocket wrote:
    Here are a couple from a different vantage...

That color one is my favorite by far. Cops, signs...great shot. clap.gifclap
  • alexLalexL Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    #2 for me. Clear focus on the guy who is sceptical, flag and fences in the background, nice
    /Alex
    edited November 12, 2007
    Thanks for your input, all. Interesting I did a much heavier crop on shot #2, which several of you responded to -- spot on!

This is the full frame original color version of #2:
    220491908-M.jpg

Any comments on the quality of my b&w conversions -- or suggestions to improve that aspect? I'm using one of these for a class assignemnt, in emulation of Robert Frank's The Americans, which of course was b&w :D

Here's the b&w version again for your convenience...
    219278944-M.jpg
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Oh yeah....the cropped BW thumb.gif
  • PwFPwF Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    217929797-M.jpg
    I would use this image.
    The first ones are sort of useless since they show nothing about what the protest is about, so what use is that?
    The last one is just too contasty although it is a good comp.
    This one is a perect exp. and good comp.

For future shots, get more faces in the shot, ones that show emotion and are not hiddeen behind a sign, and include the people they are confronting. You can see cops in this, but they are looking the other way and most of them are in the dark. Study past images of this type and note what they show and then just follow that. Most of all, move around a lot and shoot a lot! Don't just wait until something looks good. You will probably have missed it by then.
    B SUM 1
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    I like number 2...there's no one else in the background and the guy looks almost menacing.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose