Options

family shot

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited November 10, 2007 in People
I took some shots for some friends today. They were wanting a shot for their Christmas card in particular. I think this was the best of the bunch...trying to get 3 kids and 2 adults to all look towards the camera at the same time ranks as a feat in my book! My 6 yo son assisted me today by hamming it up beside me to try and keep the attention of the little ones. I wish I had a few shots of his antics!

C&C appreciated, especially on PP as I haven't released this to the family yet. Thanks!

219204643-XL.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 9, 2007
    a nice shot-

popping it some?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    I think its a wonderfull family shot. If i was to say anything it would be that some of the faces appear a touch blown out (mostly the little girl mum is holding) & i would maybe tone the reds down a bit.
  • Options
    Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Very nice, Elaine. You're so lucky to have a little helper!
    C and C always welcome.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    Thanks! I seem to be having some issues with differences in display. Since I started shooting RAW, what I show on Dgrin is slightly brighter and tends to wash out a bit (and look a little blown when it isn't) compared to what I see in my editor. It's a slight but noticable difference. I'm not sure what to do about this, but it is frustrating. I wonder how the prints will look?
    Elaine

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Thanks! I seem to be having some issues with differences in display. Since I started shooting RAW, what I show on Dgrin is slightly brighter and tends to wash out a bit (and look a little blown when it isn't) compared to what I see in my editor. It's a slight but noticable difference. I'm not sure what to do about this, but it is frustrating. I wonder how the prints will look?
    Check to make sure that:
    • You are creating your JPG in the sRGB color space. If you are generating aRGB and then uploading them to SmugMug, they are converted by SmugMug to sRGB and that might be causing a difference in the luminosity of the photos.
    • Your monitor is calibrated. If your monitor is a little dark, you may be running the exposure up a bit and then the rest of the world sees very bright images.

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head.

As for the photograph, I think this is a good one for the intended purpose - well done. It could stand a little more pop - I'm wondering if you're setting your black and white points?
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Sheesh I really struggle with group portraits like this. I like the composition, but agree with the other comments including yours. The girl being held has what seems to be the brightest part of the image on her cheek, and the image as a whole could use some pop. If it helps, I am having trouble giving myself completely over to LR as well. I haven't noticed issues with luminence, but can't stand the sharpening and noise features. I got so frustrated with it that earlier this week I got out of it and processed nearly 400 wedding photos in ACR and CS3. I know it is a good product, I am just having growing pains with it, and have not learned how to control it as well as the other programs I use.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Elaine wrote:

Nice shot Elaine! Your processing looks slightly different than your usual? It's more contrasty and like others have said, the highlights are slightly blown. I don't think all of this is due to Dgrin's slightly brighter display (which I have noticed, too). Your prints should print slightly darker, so this may not be such a bad thing. I recently sent in a bunch of shots just to see how they would come out. I wasn't sure about my monitor and also my 'eye' for skin tones. I even chose 'true' coloring and they came out exactly like what I was seeing on my screen. I was quite pleased (and relieved!). Are you using any new equipment (camera, monitor, etc.). ?
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    I'm still not using LR at all because I have no idea where to start! This stuff is just not intuitive for me. I'm using PSE 5 and the only reason I'm somewhat comfortable with that is because I took an on-line class about it back when PSE 3 was the newest thing. As far as I can tell, I am using sRGB. Image> Convert Color Profile> Apply sRGB is already chosen.

It's so strange that the littlest girl's cheek appears to be the hottest spot because it really isn't! As far as I can tell, there is a minute blown spot on the dad's head as well as on the oldest girl's face. "Blown" to me means a value of 254, 254, 254. There are a couple more spots near those and one on the littlest girl's face that appear to be blown in the red channel but not the others. Oh...and I don't know how to set black and white points...
    ear.gif I just figured out to use the color picker to determine what the values were in a given spot!

The only new thing I'm using is RAW, and this seems to be contributing to my processing issues. I do feel like I'm slowly learning more and getting more picky, so this is also contributing some frustration. I guess I'll go back to the drawing board on this one. I'm glad the comp is at least decent so I should be able to arrive at a nice final product, I hope. I'll be back!
    Elaine

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Black dress and pants
    I'd like to see a bit more of the texture.

So you've got some hot spots and too dark blacks. GO TO LIGHROOM ELAINE! Use your recovery slider and fill light slider in the Develop module and see wha hapns. I'll bet you'll like it. I took the liberty of messing with it. If you want to see it, PM me and I'll e-mail it to ya..
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    I'd like to see a bit more of the texture.

So you've got some hot spots and too dark blacks. GO TO LIGHROOM ELAINE! Use your recovery slider and fill light slider in the Develop module and see wha hapns. I'll bet you'll like it. I took the liberty of messing with it. If you want to see it, PM me and I'll e-mail it to ya..

COME TO THE LIGHT SIDE, ELAINE! Laughing.gif!

This is a great shot, but do what Icebear says and drag the recover down. then take the "clarity" and play with that - drag it to about 30-50. That'll bump the contrast, but only in the midtones. I just learned about it and am LOVING the results. Very subtle, but definitely a huge difference!

Very nice shot, though!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    COME TO THE LIGHT SIDE, ELAINE! Laughing.gif!

This is a great shot, but do what Icebear says and drag the recover down. then take the "clarity" and play with that - drag it to about 30-50. That'll bump the contrast, but only in the midtones. I just learned about it and am LOVING the results. Very subtle, but definitely a huge difference!

Very nice shot, though!!!!

I've been fiddling with LR and this shot and I don't really feel like I'm making any progress. I was in search of the "clarity" function when I opened it and couldn't find it...saw your message and now am going crazy! Where in the world do I find the clarity slider??
    Elaine

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Lightroom
    You do have Lightroom 1.2, right. The clarity slider is in the "Presence" group, right below the Tone group in the Develop module. Clarity will be your best friend. Seriously. Recovery, Fill Light and Clarity and you'll like your shot.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    You do have Lightroom 1.2, right. The clarity slider is in the "Presence" group, right below the Tone group in the Develop module. Clarity will be your best friend. Seriously. Recovery, Fill Light and Clarity and you'll like your shot.

11doh.gif
    A computer issue has prevented me from updating to 1.2. My dear hubby is now on the job of resolving that issue so 1.2 can be installed. Then, I hope, I'm in business! Thanks for pointing that out.
    Elaine