Options

Salem Glass Works

jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
edited November 14, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Here are a few pictures that I took of an abandoned section of the old Salem Glass Works, which I took while getting the shots of the gears I used for LPS15. The factory is still in use (or sections are), but this section hasn't been used in a long time. I'll probably stop by tomorrow evening around dusk and try again.

216045118-M.jpg

216045133-M.jpg

216045158-M.jpg

216045222-M.jpg

Comments are welcome.

Regards,
James

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    jziegler wrote:
    Here are a few pictures that I took of an abandoned section of the old Salem Glass Works, which I took while getting the shots of the gears I used for LPS15. The factory is still in use (or sections are), but this section hasn't been used in a long time. I'll probably stop by tomorrow evening around dusk and try again.

Comments are welcome.

Regards,
    James

Hi James, we be nice to see what its like on the inside,
    but I'm guessing it's not possible.

In the second shot is a large long shadow... what is casting the shadow?
    A tower?
    I also see a train line that appears to go to the Factory too??
    Must have been some factory in it's day.

Thanks for sharing..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi James, we be nice to see what its like on the inside,
    but I'm guessing it's not possible.

In the second shot is a large long shadow... what is casting the shadow?
    A tower?
    I also see a train line that appears to go to the Factory too??
    Must have been some factory in it's day.

Thanks for sharing..... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy,

In the second shot, the shadow is from an electrical line pole. A very tall one, because it's crossing a small river that was until recently considered navigable. The drawbridge was replaced a few years ago with a fixed bridge, I'd guess it's probably been at least 20 years since any shipping went there.

There is a rail line there, and it's still in use today, just not serving this area. It runs to the Port of Salem, which handles a weekly small container ship.

I also was probably wrong about what the plant is. I thought it was part of the glass plant, but it probably wass acually part of a Heinz plant. I'll have to talk to my father-in-law to get a bit more history on it.

Regards,
    James
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    James, whatever it was it looks neat! The roof looks to be in pretty bad shape, so it's probably a very good thing you're sticking to taking exteriors. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    James, whatever it was it looks neat! The roof looks to be in pretty bad shape, so it's probably a very good thing you're sticking to taking exteriors. :D

Good point. There may be some safe areas, or maybe not. I'd rather not find out the hard way.

I doubt that the buildings will be around too much longer. The town has had a big push for redevelopment the last 5-6 years, and it's really starting to work downtown, I suspect that this area will happen too. Prime waterfront real estate. So, I'll document it while I can. If I leave work at the right time tonight, I'll get some dusk shots.

Regards,
    James
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2007
    Heinz ketchup plant at sunset
    Well, it is the old Heinz plant. I went back a little over a week ago around sunset, and got a few more shots of the buildings:

221551809-M.jpg

221551903-M.jpg

In the first, you can see that it is right on the water. Also, there are holes on both sides where you can see all the way through the building. I'll have to go back sometime with someone else, and get a little closer to the buildings, the fence isn't intact.

Thanks for looking,
    James