Options

Gears from the Penn's Neck Bridge

jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
edited November 15, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
When I entered LPS#15, I went with one of the most colorful sites that I know of around my town. There are some gears that were from an old drawbridge that were placed on a concrete wall in a park where the old bridge approach was after a new bridge was built.

Here's the whole wall
221551780-M.jpg

I took shots of the gears from lots of different angles:
221551571-M.jpg

221551723-M.jpg

And finally, I choose this one
221551641-M.jpg

It was cropped and rotated for the final entry.

I have a few other images in the gallery as well, including closeups of the plaques on the bridge. http://jziegler.smugmug.com/gallery/3831407/1/221551641

Of particular interest to me is that the general contracter listed is my wife's great-grandfather. Her family has lived in this area for many years.

Regards,
James

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    jziegler wrote:
    When I entered LPS#15, I went with one of the most colorful sites that I know of around my town. There are some gears that were from an old drawbridge that were placed on a concrete wall in a park where the old bridge approach was after a new bridge was built.

Here's the whole wall
    I took shots of the gears from lots of different angles:
    And finally, I choose this one
    It was cropped and rotated for the final entry.
    I have a few other images in the gallery as well, including closeups of the plaques on the bridge. http://jziegler.smugmug.com/gallery/3831407/1/221551641

Of particular interest to me is that the general contracter listed is my wife's great-grandfather. Her family has lived in this area for many years.

Regards,
    James

Looks interesting James, I like how all the gears make it look like a big toy.
    Nice work thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Looks interesting James, I like how all the gears make it look like a big toy.
    Nice work thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy!

While they were building it, I thought that it looked like some interactive exhibit at a science museum, so I agree with the toy comment. Pretty cool way to preserve some of the history.

Regards,
    James
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Neat!
    jziegler wrote:
    When I entered LPS#15, I went with one of the most colorful sites...
    thumb.gif Interesting stuff. I bet you could get some really cool close-ups too. Perhaps in afternoon or early morning direct light when the shadows are really sharp and the colours are warm.

headscratch.gif Where exactly is 'Penn's Neck?' I'd like to tell a friend of mine who's name happens to be 'Penn.'
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    xris wrote:
    thumb.gif Interesting stuff. I bet you could get some really cool close-ups too. Perhaps in afternoon or early morning direct light when the shadows are really sharp and the colours are warm.

headscratch.gif Where exactly is 'Penn's Neck?' I'd like to tell a friend of mine who's name happens to be 'Penn.'

Thanks Xris.

Penn's Neck is the little bit of land leading from Pennsville, NJ into Salem, NJ. Here it is on Google maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=salem+nj&ie=UTF8&ll=39.579877,-75.474594&spn=0.010188,0.019398&t=h&z=16&om=1

The bridge shown on that arial view is the old on the gears come from. It's at least 5 years old at this point.
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Kool!
    jziegler wrote:
    Thanks Xris.

Penn's Neck is the little bit of land leading from Pennsville, NJ into Salem, NJ....

clap.gifThanks so much. I'm not familar with that part of NJ. So much history. I'm sure!
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca