Options

Timeline Feature

Moon MullenMoon Mullen Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited January 2, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Just curious to see where you sit with the timeline feature. I think the last thread I saw on this indicated you were in the process of indexing millions of photos and it could take some time to do this. This was back when you originally announced the feature. How is it coming along? I think this will be a real nice add on when it is operational. Great stuff.

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    Doing a simple math
    Taking a very rough and pessimistic estimate of processing 1 entry per second, starting with the last mentioned amount of 16 million files, we get 185 days, or 6+ months.

Of course it prolly is way faster, but in any case I would not hold my breath:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2005
    How's the Timeline Coming?
    Just curious to see where you sit with the timeline feature. I think the last thread I saw on this indicated you were in the process of indexing millions of photos and it could take some time to do this. This was back when you originally announced the feature. How is it coming along? I think this will be a real nice add on when it is operational. Great stuff.
    I have looked at the "goodies" link and I love the timeline. When are you expecting this to be ready for use, or is there a way to include this on my site already? It's been 6 months since the announcement, so I figure you must be about ready. No?
  • Options
    grannyrobingrannyrobin Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    Hey!
    I have looked at the "goodies" link and I love the timeline. When are you expecting this to be ready for use, or is there a way to include this on my site already? It's been 6 months since the announcement, so I figure you must be about ready. No?
    I'm so glad you asked! Like Nik, I had made very rough and pessmistic estimations in my own mind. But... since you asked... I looked it up. Timeline works for me! Now. Today. I like it!clap.gif

To review work in progress...
    http://yoursmugmugname.smugmug.com/date/

-Robin
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    I'm so glad you asked! Like Nik, I had made very rough and pessmistic estimations in my own mind. But... since you asked... I looked it up. Timeline works for me! Now. Today. I like it!clap.gif

To review work in progress...
    http://yoursmugmugname.smugmug.com/date/

-Robin

i just tried it - is it supposed to pick up all photos within a date range? i only got about 10% of the expected results...
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i just tried it - is it supposed to pick up all photos within a date range? i only got about 10% of the expected results...
    I was curious and tried it and found it picked up most of my pics, but I found something interesting ... several pictures that I had deleted from SmugMug showed up in the search! Well, the images didn't show up, but a thumb with the caption of the pic did. Clicking on it does nothing, as I would expect, as the picture has been deleted, but it doesn't seem that it should still be lingering somewhere.

Also, does the timeline use date uploaded or date taken?
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    grannyrobingrannyrobin Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    I can't find anything saying that smugmug has completely finished this project. It's a work in progress. Sorry that it's only picking up 10% of your photos. http://www.smugmug.com/help/timeline

I knew that a sample of one couldn't be definitive...
    Robin
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2005
    I can't find anything saying that smugmug has completely finished this project. It's a work in progress. Sorry that it's only picking up 10% of your photos. http://www.smugmug.com/help/timeline

I knew that a sample of one couldn't be definitive...
    Robin

hehe no prob - i certainly can wait :D
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    hehe no prob - i certainly can wait :D

All "new" photos (since ~Jan-Feb 05) are in the timeline.

Some small percentage of the "old" photos are also there.

We got hung up on some nasty technical details, so the importing of the timeline data for "old" photos is on hold - but it will resume "shortly". :)

Anyone who signed up after Jan/Feb 2005 has their entire catalog in the timeline, and we'll expose that soon for those customers.

I'll post again once we've resumed mining the millions of old photos.

Don
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2005
    Has the Timeline Feature Been Scrapped?
    I really liked the concept of a photo timeline that was first talked about in January. Has this been scrapped? This is a real neat and popular feature that is present in a number of desktop photo organizers and I hope you are moving forward with this shortly.
  • Options
    timeline feature
    I really liked the concept of a photo timeline that was first talked about in January. Has this been scrapped? This is a real neat and popular feature that is present in a number of desktop photo organizers and I hope you are moving forward with this shortly.

please look here, it's been out for a while

also announced on the smugmug news page

also it's in the smugblogs, release notes

cheers wave.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    Intriguing...
    andy wrote:
    Interesting. Does anyone have any idea why this feature is completely buried. Apparently it's existed for 6 months, but doesn't appear to be in any of the default UI and doesn't appear to be a control panel option to place it on your home page. In fact, the only way I've found to get to it is to manually append "/date" onto the end of your home page URL.

Is this just some easter egg feature not really intended for people to use? Or does it not work very well so it hasn't been publicized? Or does it work perfectly fine and it's just buried?

It seems like it ought to be a control panel option to put it on your homepage if it really works.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Erie BuoyErie Buoy Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    Putting the timeline on a homepage
    Happy New Year, smuggers!

I wondered if John (jfriend) got an answer (maybe offline) to his question about getting the timeline feature to display on the homepage.

If I follow the instructions on the timeline help page (http://www.smugmug.com/help/timeline) and type and append /?showGoodies=1 to the end of my smugmug address, the timeline option does indeed show up, with options to move it around on the page or hide it. However, if I refresh my homepage without the showGoodies appendix, the timeline box doesn't show up.

Is this feature not available to me yet? If I append /date to the end of my address, I get accurate search results within a date range. I have a friend who just signed up for smugmug (user account) the other day and the timeline search shows up (automatically, I presume) on her page . . .

Thanks for any help. I'm just learning -- although I may have overlooked something obvious, I did my homework (but my brow is still furrowed).

Explore (and add to!) smugmug co-branding on del.icio.us
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2005
    Erie Buoy wrote:
    Happy New Year, smuggers!

I wondered if John (jfriend) got an answer (maybe offline) to his question about getting the timeline feature to display on the homepage.

If I follow the instructions on the timeline help page (http://www.smugmug.com/help/timeline) and type and append /?showGoodies=1 to the end of my smugmug address, the timeline option does indeed show up, with options to move it around on the page or hide it. However, if I refresh my homepage without the showGoodies appendix, the timeline box doesn't show up.

Is this feature not available to me yet? If I append /date to the end of my address, I get accurate search results within a date range. I have a friend who just signed up for smugmug (user account) the other day and the timeline search shows up (automatically, I presume) on her page . . .

Thanks for any help. I'm just learning -- although I may have overlooked something obvious, I did my homework (but my brow is still furrowed).

It's available if you put /date after your site name. It's not available on all homepages yet - it will take some more time for us to crawl the entire photo database, now over 50,000,000 or thereabouts.
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Stats too?
    Would it be possible to gather stats as you generate the timeline, how many times medium and large views have been made, prints ordered?
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2006
    synature wrote:
    Would it be possible to gather stats as you generate the timeline, how many times medium and large views have been made, prints ordered?

Hi Synature,

wave.gif welcome to Dgrin!

You can view your stats on a monthly basis by looking in your control panel>your statistics

You are a pro user, so you can also add Google Analytics or Statcounter to your customization - be sure they go into the Header or Footer HTML section. Search Dgrin for either and you'll find lots of posts on these - if you want to add them. Or, just start a new thread and ask "How?"

deal.gif