Options

First wedding (by myself!)

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited November 15, 2007 in Weddings
I've gone to a few weddings with other photographers in my area as a second shooter. I've enjoyed it, but there's nothing like being in charge of all the photography at your very own wedding. I love it and I was so happy with the results! The lighting in the place where it was held was AMAZING!

so...either way - on with the story - haha - Last week, I had the best time at an absolutely beautiful wedding. I stayed up sifting, sorting, and editing till about 1:30 that morning because I just couldn't stop looking at the photos! I had a really hard time choosing my favorites to put on my blog and here, because I truly loved them all, so there are a few more photos in this post than normal, sorry! haha! I hope you enjoy, and please let me know what you think!!!

gotta get the shoes and the rings, the perfume was a plus:

HayBenoitWeddingforblog2.jpg

haybeniotweddingforblog1.jpg

HayBenoitWedding-36copy.jpg

HayBenoitWedding-55copy.jpg

HayBenoitWedding-24copy.jpg

Waiting to walk down the stairs:

HayBenoitWedding-77copy.jpg

HayBenoitWedding-86copy.jpg

The Flower Girl, getting some encouragement

HayBenoitWedding-75copy.jpg

HayBenoitWedding-89copy.jpg

HayBenoitWedding-73copy.jpg

HayBenoitWedding-112copy.jpg

HayBenoitWedding-125copy.jpg

HayBenoitWedding-132copy.jpg

Siblings:

HayBenoitWedding-154copy.jpg

Granddaughters:

HayBenoitWedding-190copy.jpg

The lucky couple!

HayBenoitWedding-242copy.jpg

HayBenoitWedding-253copy.jpg

It's legal:

HayBenoitWedding-246copy.jpg

This was such a great "by-chace" shot! The flower girl never really wanted to smile for the camera -so I was so happy when I captured this shot!

HayBenoitWedding-61copy.jpg

HayBenoitWedding-212copy.jpg

I hope you enjoyed!

Thanks!

- Ross
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Well done. These are very nice. You've captured some great emotion.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Nice!!! Love them all! clap.gif ++ you did some beautiful PS job aswell! Nice perspecitves, nice colors .... I'm sure they will be VERY happy with them!
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Nice work Ross, interesting prespective and you had a lot of different angles on these shots. Well done!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Wow! There are some really stunning shots in there!!! Awesome, awesome job! clap.gif
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    good job! thumb.gif

has a good feel to them! clap.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Wow
    You really captured a lot of emotion. Wonderful photography. bowdown.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    mandamanda Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Love the joy on the girl's face in the last photo
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    Thank you guys!!! I'm so happy to hear all of that!

I sent them the images to my clients the other day and they just loved them, and that's what makes photography worth everything I put into it, in my opinion.

Thanks a million!
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    magicpicmagicpic Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    Thank you guys!!! I'm so happy to hear all of that!

I sent them the images to my clients the other day and they just loved them, and that's what makes photography worth everything I put into it, in my opinion.

Thanks a million!

Ross how did you set up your lighting? thanks janis
    (2) Canon 20d, (1) canon 30d, 70-200is 2.8, tamron 17-50,canon 50mm 1.4
    http://www.photographybywidget.com
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    magicpic wrote:
    Ross how did you set up your lighting? thanks janis

for the posed pictures - you won't believe this - NOTHING. it was the PERFECT time of the day. I had my umbrellas and my stands ready for some super harsh lighting - - - none. I was so thrilled. Actually, the only picture I posted that has lighting other natural is the cake shot - I was using a 580 EX II on -1/3 EF and I bounced it off the ceiling (about 14') over my left shoulder.

Most of the pictures were a little flat (in terms of lighting) when I got them home so I did have to do some work on them in lightroom (fortunately, I didn't have to open many in photoshop except to combine a few posed pictures because of BLINKERS!!!! haha)- maybe the editing stuff is what makes it look different.

p.s. - I was also using fast lenses. I was rarely using above 2.8 (except all of the posed pictures, those were done around 4.0) - that kind of makes the subjects pop out
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    for the posed pictures - you won't believe this - NOTHING. it was the PERFECT time of the day. I had my umbrellas and my stands ready for some super harsh lighting - - - none. I was so thrilled. Actually, the only picture I posted that has lighting other natural is the cake shot - I was using a 580 EX II on -1/3 EF and I bounced it off the ceiling (about 14') over my left shoulder.

Most of the pictures were a little flat (in terms of lighting) when I got them home so I did have to do some work on them in lightroom (fortunately, I didn't have to open many in photoshop except to combine a few posed pictures because of BLINKERS!!!! haha)- maybe the editing stuff is what makes it look different.

p.s. - I was also using fast lenses. I was rarely using above 2.8 (except all of the posed pictures, those were done around 4.0) - that kind of makes the subjects pop out

what actions do you use
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    magicpic wrote:
    what actions do you use

I make my own 'actions' through lightroom, I have bought actions for photoshop (three sets of them) - and it was an absolute waste...no actions, no matter how I tweak them, ever fit my style...that's why I got lightroom so I can make my own "presets" really easily. I pretty much make new actions for each photoshoot...and then reuse them for shoots with very similar lighting circumstances - but I usually end up tweaking those too. editing is what I spend most of my time on, but I have my workflow pretty much to a T and thanks to lightroom I can edit a whole portrait shoot in under 2 hours...a wedding in 4.5...

- Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    Deadeye008Deadeye008 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Very nicely done! Love the DOF in these!
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    I make my own 'actions' through lightroom, I have bought actions for photoshop (three sets of them) - and it was an absolute waste...no actions, no matter how I tweak them, ever fit my style...that's why I got lightroom so I can make my own "presets" really easily. I pretty much make new actions for each photoshoot...and then reuse them for shoots with very similar lighting circumstances - but I usually end up tweaking those too. editing is what I spend most of my time on, but I have my workflow pretty much to a T and thanks to lightroom I can edit a whole portrait shoot in under 2 hours...a wedding in 4.5...

- Ross

I use lightroom and photoshop and I am using lightroom more and more...how do you do the actions in lightroom"presets" I think you photos are really good hope tohear....janis
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    magicpic wrote:
    I use lightroom and photoshop and I am using lightroom more and more...how do you do the actions in lightroom"presets" I think you photos are really good hope tohear....janis

when you get a setting you like, press control shift N and a dialogue box will appear and you name your preset. then it will appear on the right side of your screen (it should...) I'm not sure if it's control-shift-n, but I would imagine it is. I'm on a Mac which is why I say that, because it's command-shift-N on a mac, which usually translates to control on a PC...

it's super easy and REALLY speeds up the workflow...

- Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    when you get a setting you like, press control shift N and a dialogue box will appear and you name your preset. then it will appear on the right side of your screen (it should...) I'm not sure if it's control-shift-n, but I would imagine it is. I'm on a Mac which is why I say that, because it's command-shift-N on a mac, which usually translates to control on a PC...

it's super easy and REALLY speeds up the workflow...

- Ross
    thanks I will try it...I am really liking the lightroom alot..love the slideshow and print..it all is so so fast
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    magicpic wrote:
    thanks I will try it...I am really liking the lightroom alot..love the slideshow and print..it all is so so fast

I don't even know what the print tab does...but the whole program revolutionized my work flow and made it so much more efficient!
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    susanbudgesusanbudge Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    WOW I really like these! I'm not surprised the couple are delighted with them. Your preparation shots are spot on and I like your post processing.

A favourite of mine is the ceremony one with the stairs on either side. What a great viewpoint. Have you thought about taking some of the sky off it? Maybe take it down to where the roof juts in on the right (and/or clone that out)? Just a thought as the sky is quite bright and leads the eye up away from the couple.

Just a few (and only a few) could maybe lose a bit of headroom. I'm thinking of the two group shots and the last in particular where the people could look as if they are dropping out of the bottom of the frame. It's just my thoughts and many may disagree. They are great shots and I think you've captured the personalities and emotion of the day very well. I bet you get further bookings when people see these.

I'd certainly be more than happy if I'd taken these myself! thumb.gif