Options

Longboards And Long Hair

saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
edited November 22, 2007 in People
It seems I spent most of the summer shooting in the worst possible llight and then trying to make flat light look good in ps! Everytime I hit the beach it was soooo gloomy. These shots were on one of the worst days. Not the greatest shots and I missed on exposures. But everytime I view them I think of a missed opportunity. I was standing on a bluff shooting down towards the water when this wonderful vision of an old vintage-looking longboard and a surfer to match appeared. The board was the color of the old '57 Chevy Belair we had when I was a kid!!! And the surfer with his long, wavy golden hair, well....I just would have loved to been close enough to approach him for some better shots! These
were shot with the 300mm f/4 and a 1.4 extender. It was a little difficult to frame as I had no where to back up but the parking lot. Hope they bring a little nostalgia to those of you old enough to remember the 60's! :D
219691513-L-1.jpg

187626133-L-1.jpg

185361132-L-1.jpg

219691548-M-1.jpg

219691553-M-1.jpg

219691579-L-1.jpg

219691592-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 16, 2007
    some neat shots susan-

I'd say the longhaired geezer (probably younger than me) would have loved to have you take photos of him-

'57 belair (the fins are starting to grow)-
    http://www.familycar.com/Classics/Images/57ChevyBelAir.jpg

thanks for posting-
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited November 16, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Hope they bring a little nostalgia to those of you old enough to remember the 60's! :D
    It's axiomatic: If you were old enough to be there in the 60s, you don't remember them. rolleyes1.gif

That's a nice series, Susan. The color of the surfboard makes up for the dull light. I especially like #6. Well done. thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • Options
    QueenQueen Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Really nice series, the last one is so evocative. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Very nice Susan, love all the B&Ws, and the last one is very touching iloveyou.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 16, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    It's axiomatic: If you were old enough to be there in the 60s, you don't remember them. rolleyes1.gif

That's a nice series, Susan. The color of the surfboard makes up for the dull light. I especially like #6. Well done. thumb.gif

Cheers,

hah!-

good richard!-
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    some neat shots susan-

I'd say the longhaired geezer (probably younger than me) would have loved to have you take photos of him-

'57 belair (the fins are starting to grow)-
    http://www.familycar.com/Classics/Images/57ChevyBelAir.jpg

thanks for posting-

Ha! Thanks George....the old '57 was my favorite 'family' car ever! Still love to see them, only now as collectibles, they are in much better shape! (Me............not so much!)
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:

Cheers,

Thanks Richard! You nailed that one! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2007
    Queen wrote:
    Really nice series, the last one is so evocative. thumb.gif

Thank you Queen...I love shooting dogs, and probably shoot more of them than I do people! Of course, this is "Dog Beach". :D
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    #4 does it for me. Nice conversion and composition.
  • Options
    Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    I really like your black and white conversion too.
    C and C always welcome.
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:
    #4 does it for me. Nice conversion and composition.

This is my favorite too... did you selectively blur the background and foreground? My only nitpick with it is it seems that the sand right where they're walking appears out of focus, but their feet are tack sharp. Unless you didn't do that in post, in which case I have no idea why it looks like that. Still, a great conversion of a well composed shot. I like the angles, how the surfboards run almost parallel to the incoming surf.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2007
    gregneil wrote:
    This is my favorite too... did you selectively blur the background and foreground? My only nitpick with it is it seems that the sand right where they're walking appears out of focus, but their feet are tack sharp. Unless you didn't do that in post, in which case I have no idea why it looks like that. Still, a great conversion of a well composed shot. I like the angles, how the surfboards run almost parallel to the incoming surf.

Yes, that's exactly what I did. I was playing around and didn't come up with what I planned, but it gave it kind of a surreal effect and I just left it.....really wasn't planning on posting it! mwink.gif

Thanks for the comments all! :D
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Very cool series and good eye to catch it. #4 has a lot of impact on me. I especially like it.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2007
    What I wonderful series. I enjoyed viewing them.