Options

Ukrainian Easter Bread

rwdfresnorwdfresno Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited November 17, 2007 in People
Well nothing on par with most of the great stuff I see here but I figured I would post some pictures that I took some time back but just finally got around to doing anything with. They were taken before easter at the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Carnegie, PA. Bread or "paska" as it is called is an imporant part of the Ukrainian easter celibration. Open to any constructive critque.

2038354147_628220ba19_o.jpg

2039148338_fad4137b50_o.jpg

2039148466_c72d43f46c_o.jpg

2038354381_2382da88f4_o.jpg

2038354471_6ce244df3a_o.jpg

2038354561_fce893af4e_o.jpg

Ryan Davis
Ryan Davis
my flickr

Comments

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Welcome to the forum! This is a great series. I love seeing environmental portraits. I especially like the last 2 shots. The bread shot is fantastic! thumb.gif
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    The bread shot is my absolute favorite. I wonder if the people shots could have a bit more life in them, they seem a bit lifeless. But maybe it goes with the subject. The exposure looks good, and it is interesting to see how they do make the breads. Well done
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    I hope you had a chance to try this bread. It's fantastic!!
    Love all the shots, very well done thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    rwdfresnorwdfresno Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Thank you everyone for the encouragement. The lady running the Hobart mixer is Bessie my 82 yo grandmother. She has as much energy as any 30 yo I know. She spends 8-10 hours a day making bread, perogies, and cabbage rolls for the many church events. The tall guy, Rich, is the youngest one in the kitchen at around 50. Who will make the paskas when these dedicated seniors retire or worse pass on? Who knows, but I was smart enough to have my grandmother teach me how to make the traditional eastern European foods so I can pass it on to my children.

Ryan
    Ryan Davis
    my flickr
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    The story comes more to life with your journaling. I would not have given the lady 80 years old. I think it is important to give journaling with photographs like that, so we get the context.
    Indeed very noble of them to put all that energy in. I hope they will find people who follow in their footsteps.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    rwdfresno wrote:
    Thank you everyone for the encouragement. The lady running the Hobart mixer is Bessie my 82 yo grandmother. She has as much energy as any 30 yo I know. She spends 8-10 hours a day making bread, perogies, and cabbage rolls for the many church events. The tall guy, Rich, is the youngest one in the kitchen at around 50. Who will make the paskas when these dedicated seniors retire or worse pass on? Who knows, but I was smart enough to have my grandmother teach me how to make the traditional eastern European foods so I can pass it on to my children.

Ryan

It's funny you should add this information. I was thinking as I first viewed the shots how elderly most of the people were, and wondering why there were no 2nd generation aged people doing involved. Sad to see old traditions not embraced, but certainly times are different. I can't imagine anyone standing and baking bread for that long! Your gm is amazing!!!!