Options

LPS16 Can't Decide and Need Some Help...

SunsetSailorSunsetSailor Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited November 18, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
221449346-M.jpg
#1 Through Rose Colored Glass

221449242-M.jpg
#2 The Heart of Darkness

221448994-M.jpg
#3 Putting Things in Perspective

221449108-M.jpg
#4 Syncopation

I'm getting closer but just not making it. Is there something I'm obviously doing wrong? Is it my subject selections? Is it something technically glaring? Do I need to keep shooting? Please be honest, I'm old, I'll forget what you said by tomorrow.
Laura
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown

Olympus EVolt 500
[/FONT]
http://sunsetsailor.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    #2 is by far my favorite.

Since you asked, I'll be brutal here:

#1 can't decide whether it is a landscape or a picture of a factory. The factory doesn't stand out enough to hold the image as the primary subject but is still too dominant to let the image be about anything else. You sometimes see shots like this in corporate reports when the company needs to show their plant but is uncomfortable with their industrial image.

#2 I like this. The leaves and the reflection of the sky in the foreground, the trees in the background and the nice lines leading me into the frame. I do wish there was a bit more detail in the shadows.

#3 This sunset would be a great backdrop for an interesting foreground, but it isn't really strong enough to carry the photo on its own.

#4 I am honestly not sure what I am supposed to be looking at here.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is a good start. There seems to be a point in the development of any skill where the small steps forward require a hugh amount of effort internally. But as hard as I try, I haven't been able to see beyond my own personal box.
    Laura
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown

Olympus EVolt 500
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    I REALLY like #2. It would stand out in a crowd--IMHO.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    I'd agree with the votes for #2. The wedge of vibrant blue really leads the eye into the mysterious beyond of the darker background.

I do find that the bright highlight on the right hand side yanks my eye to that side of the picture. You might consider a crop or toning it down in post-processing.
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    #2 for me also with #4 a close second. I think both would make great contenders.
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    I feel your pain. rolleyes1.gif

I like #2 and #3.

The filtered light through the trees on #2 is positively lovely! But the photo looks a little tilted to the right. headscratch.gif

The perspective of #3 is very good. Have you tried a horizontal crop on that one? If you cropped from the bottom, it would get rid of some of the dead space that's there and pull the eye toward the buildings and the sky. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2007
    Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I'm going with #2 with some of the changes that you recommended. Just looking at the LPS16 entries so far, I'll settle for the honor of just being showcased with them - never mind thinking of qualifying. I have been doing my homework in other sections of dgrin - sometimes it is overwhelming and sometimes I take hope when I try something new and can visably see an improvement. It's like being on a diet, not always a pleasant experience but "any progress is better than no progress".
    Good luck to all of you as well....
    Laura

Olympus EVolt 500
    [/FONT]