custom domain name link inconsitancy

nowherenowhere Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited November 19, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hey guys and girls,

I have noticed the smugmug engine isnt totally consistant in replacing the xxxx.smugmug.com url with custom domain name url. I have seen a few, but the one I remember right this second is on the checkout page where a customer would fill in the credit card info etc. The blurb at the top about Such and Such Nickname and SmugMug are partners has links to the xxxx.smugmug.com url instead of custom.domainname.com.

If needed I can try to retrace and find some of the inconsistancies I have seen or perhaps a code review could reveal the culprits.

I find these links rather obviously because the smugmug domain is blocked by our company but my domain name is not.

Eric

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    nowhere wrote:
    Hey guys and girls,

I have noticed the smugmug engine isnt totally consistant in replacing the xxxx.smugmug.com url with custom domain name url. I have seen a few, but the one I remember right this second is on the checkout page where a customer would fill in the credit card info etc. The blurb at the top about Such and Such Nickname and SmugMug are partners has links to the xxxx.smugmug.com url instead of custom.domainname.com.

If needed I can try to retrace and find some of the inconsistancies I have seen or perhaps a code review could reveal the culprits.

I find these links rather obviously because the smugmug domain is blocked by our company but my domain name is not.

Eric
    That is a bug, validated, and reported. Thanks for letting us know.
  • SemperFidelesSemperFideles Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    That is a bug, validated, and reported. Thanks for letting us know.
    I have to say that this "bug", validated and reported, is absolutely driving me up the wall. I don't understand why it is taking so long to resolve. I find myself having to constantly go back to my account, log back into my custom domain, simply so I can share my galleries with others.

Google, who doesn't charge over $100 per year and makes no money at all from it's Bloggers, supports a CNAME feature that WORKS.

Perhaps it's time to make this more of a priority and fix this problem. It not only reflects upon the professionalism of your product but it reflects upon our professionalism as our customers are never certain "where they are".
    Rich
    LtCol, USMC
    SDG
    http://www.leinophoto.com
    edited November 18, 2007
    I have to say that this "bug", validated and reported, is absolutely driving me up the wall. I don't understand why it is taking so long to resolve. I find myself having to constantly go back to my account, log back into my custom domain, simply so I can share my galleries with others.

Google, who doesn't charge over $100 per year and makes no money at all from it's Bloggers, supports a CNAME feature that WORKS.

Perhaps it's time to make this more of a priority and fix this problem. It not only reflects upon the professionalism of your product but it reflects upon our professionalism as our customers are never certain "where they are".
    Hello, I'm sorry about this. Sure we'll fix it.

I'm sorry that it takes longer sometimes.

This has nothing to do with CNAME and everything to do with a link in the shopping cart.
  • gman33gman33 Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007

I came across this thread and I am not one to give people a hard time but if Google works for you than there is nothing stopping you from moving over to Google. I can almost guarantee that you will not get the type of service that you get from Smugmug. If it is bothering you so much, please move on as this type of attitude and negativity is really not appreciated here and we work together as a team.
    Andy and the rest of the Smugmug family go above and beyond any other site that I have seen and I have been in the IT industry for over 20 years. Maybe you should write to Microsoft, which I am sure you use their products and complain to them about the 200k+ bugs that they have in their products.

Andy explained that it was going to be fixed, so either wait for this little bug to be fixed or move on...end of story
    Ed G - Philadelphia, PA
    http://ergphoto.smugmug.com
    edited November 19, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hello, I'm sorry about this. Sure we'll fix it.

I'm sorry that it takes longer sometimes.

This has nothing to do with CNAME and everything to do with a link in the shopping cart.
    Andy,

Thank you for your prompt response. I apologize if I was sharp. At the time, I was trying to send out an album to a friend and, for the umpteenth time, realized it had kicked back into the my smugmug.com subdomain. Honestly, I *love* your product but this bug is driving me up the wall. I'm sure it isn't easy to fix or you would have fixed it but it really is a sore spot and I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing the pent up frustration. That said, at the time I was frustrated and I should have been more gracious.
    Rich
    LtCol, USMC
    SDG
    edited November 19, 2007
    Andy,

Thank you for your prompt response. I apologize if I was sharp. At the time, I was trying to send out an album to a friend and, for the umpteenth time, realized it had kicked back into the my smugmug.com subdomain. Honestly, I *love* your product but this bug is driving me up the wall.

Please confirm exactly where and how this happened - the OP was talking about the shopping cart, from which you would not normally get a link to share with a client. #2, why not use Devbobo's automagic domain name swapper, and never have this problem :)

Advanced faq, #62: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52811
    edited November 19, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Please confirm exactly where and how this happened - the OP was talking about the shopping cart, from which you would not normally get a link to share with a client. #2, why not use Devbobo's automagic domain name swapper, and never have this problem :)

Advanced faq, #62: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52811
    You're absolutely correct. I failed to notice that the thread was specifically related to the shopping cart. Please move my posts to a new thread if you feel like my comments distracted from the OP.

Thank you for pointing out the Advanced FAQ. As soon as I applied the JS code it worked right away.
    Rich
    LtCol, USMC
    SDG
    edited November 19, 2007
    You're absolutely correct. I failed to notice that the thread was specifically related to the shopping cart. Please move my posts to a new thread if you feel like my comments distracted from the OP.
    not a problem - I just wanted to know where and how you got this behavior, if you'll tell me, so that I can make sure it's on our list.

Thank you for pointing out the Advanced FAQ. As soon as I applied the JS code it worked right away.
    awesome!
    edited November 19, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    not a problem - I just wanted to know where and how you got this behavior, if you'll tell me, so that I can make sure it's on our list.
    Just so you can close the loop on what I was experiencing, I was trying to consistently have users be brought to my custom domain when visiting galleries. I also wanted to be able to consistently be able to log into my custom domain and stay in my custom domain. In the past, when I would be working on a new album, I would add photos and then get kicked back into my subdomain. I think the js code solved the problem.
    Rich
    LtCol, USMC
    SDG
    edited November 19, 2007
    Just so you can close the loop on what I was experiencing, I was trying to consistently have users be brought to my custom domain when visiting galleries. I also wanted to be able to consistently be able to log into my custom domain and stay in my custom domain. In the past, when I would be working on a new album, I would add photos and then get kicked back into my subdomain. I think the js code solved the problem.
    Sure. The most common cause of this, btw, is "hide owner" or "appearance = smugmug" in the customize gallery settings - sometimes these get set the wrong way and folks begin to headscratch.gif