Options

Canon owner for life

Greywolf123Greywolf123 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited November 19, 2007 in Cameras
I was shooting in an abandoned building when the staircase collapsed sending me and my 1D MkIII falling almost 2 stories onto a concrete floor.
I was ok for the most part thinking my camera didn’t fair as well I dug it out of the concrete rubble to find that the screen was destroyed the body had a hairline crack between the quick dial and the CF/SD Door and the door wouldn’t open other then that the 24-105L was fine. Anyways to make a long story short the camera still worked and I was able to finish my shoot. I sent the camera out to canon repair a week later on a Monday next day air and the camera was repaired and back to me by that Friday. NO CHARGE they covered the camera under the warranty. Just wanted to let everyone know how durable the 1series line is and how the canon repair service is.

~Owen

Canon.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Twisted ImageTwisted Image Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    wow thats impressive
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    BOOM!! Thats crazy!

Next time save the camera and take one for the team rolleyes1.gif

Its funny... if you hang out in the service center for more than 5 minutes you see what other people bring in. Lots of people drop off dropped lenses and bodies. They ask how much it will be and Jamie says "Oh not much seeing as though its not broken in half" :D Then again I think it would take one hell of a drop to break a 1D or L lens in half...
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    I was shooting in an abandoned building when the staircase collapsed sending me and my 1D MkIII falling almost 2 stories onto a concrete floor.

A good warning for others. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    Dangerous but I do love it
    wxwax wrote:
    A good warning for others. nod.gif

Where else can you get images like this? I will use my 20d from now on though...

8X11Flyer.jpg

82788213-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    nocednoced Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Pretty good stuff. Is there a web page that lists local Canon service centers? I live and work in MA/RI/CT.
    Gear:

Canon Rebel XTi | Canon EF 24-70 2.8L
    http://esquared.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    noced wrote:
    Pretty good stuff. Is there a web page that lists local Canon service centers? I'm live and work in MA/RI/CT.

I just called (800) OK-CANON. I shipped mine to New Jersey
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    noced wrote:
    Pretty good stuff. Is there a web page that lists local Canon service centers? I live and work in MA/RI/CT.

Not really a list,
    just two of them in NJ i CA thumb.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    I was ok for the most part thinking my camera didn’t fair as well I dug it out of the concrete rubble to find that the screen was destroyed the body had a hairline crack between the quick dial and the CF/SD Door and the door wouldn’t open other then that the 24-105L was fine. Anyways to make a long story short the camera still worked and I was able to finish my shoot. I sent the camera out to canon repair a week later on a Monday next day air and the camera was repaired and back to me by that Friday. NO CHARGE they covered the camera under the warranty. Just wanted to let everyone know how durable the 1series line is and how the canon repair service is.

~Owen

Canon.jpg

Wow!! Did you send you lens in for checking as well? Maybe there is some
    hidden defect after all.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Good story! can you post a picture of the repaired camera? :D
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    Lens seemed fine.
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Wow!! Did you send you lens in for checking as well? Maybe there is some
    hidden defect after all.

Nope these pictures were taken with the camera and lens the next day. I didnt have a problem with the IS or anything I was really surprised. I did find out Canon only charges around $100 to go through a lens.

4N3B8492.jpg
    4N3B8647-01-01.jpg
    4N3B8616-01-01.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    Good story! can you post a picture of the repaired camera? :D

They pretty much replaced the whole back of the camera looked brand new when I got it back no thanks to FEDEX the box was crushed when I received it...
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    hahah AHHH FEDex.

I'll give you a little pointer. Most of the package handlers toss the packages into the truck. Like toss. thumb.gif

It's good to see your gear is back and that the 1D is a beast. clap.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    Wow. The fall sounds scary, be careful out there.

This is a good example of why Canon's pro gear is so popular. Takes a nice beating & keeps on working (cue old Timex ad now...).
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2007
    I just called (800) OK-CANON. I shipped mine to New Jersey
    I guess after that you didn't need to worry too much about how much bubble wrap to use! Amazing . . .
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    I must be a clutz...
    Actually, I feel like a clutz but, my lack of balance seems to stem from an artificial knee that doesn't allow me full range of motion.

Anyway, I fell twice at the Air Show at Marine Corps Air Station, Miramar. Both times my lenses were in the direct path of my stumble. I hit a temporary staircase with the hood (I use round metal screw-in hoods) of my 24-70mm and hit the concrete with the hood of my 70-200mm f/4L IS.

Both hoods were bashed but, both lenses came through unscathed. Pretty good for lenses that were in the path of my 210# of weight.

Kudos to the build quality of Canon "L" lenses. Thumbs down to my clutz day. BTW, I have not tripped before or since. That was just a bad day.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    They also have a Service Center in Elk Grove Village, Illinois. Of course this wasn't for one of my DSLR's it was for a G6.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    k2c1959k2c1959 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    hahah AHHH FEDex.

ha ha .... i just happen to be a manager with FedEx... careful now

Laughing.gif.rolleyes1.gif
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away......

" I wasn't born in Oklahoma, but I got here as fast as I could! "

http://k2c-ridge.smugmug.com/
    Member NAPP
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    I haven't shipped my stuff to Canon because I'm so scared it's going to get destroyed before it gets there. Unfortunately, I'm planning to drive an hour to Jersey myself today and drop off my 580EX which stopped working yesterday and also my XTi because the flash won't pop up.
    Canon has a repair facility about 5 miles from me in New York, but for some reason it's ship only. The warranty terms say, "When returning equipment for warranty service, the shipping charges must be prepaid and the equipment should be shipped in its origianl carton or box, or an equivalent,"
    which I don't have thanks to rebate cutting.

For all the years I worked selling computer equipment to businesses and buying my own computer equipment and camera gear, Fedex is the safest, quickest, most reliable ground way to ship.
    UPS ground typically takes an extra day or two just to get out their pickup station and they throw things anywhere, but still a higher success rate than USPS.
    USPS is the worst. I've had 8 x 10 photos delivered and instead of them giving them to the doorman, they'll fold them and put them in my mailbox. Even though the package says
    "FIRST CLASS.
    POSTMAN: DO NOT BEND"

that large on the front. I didn't understand it and watched the next day as they sifted through the mail and put it in the box which made it look like blatant neglect.
    One way to eliminate this is pay extra for faster shipping. The quicker and less hands an item has to go through, the better chance you have of getting it in good shape. Fedex either comes to the door or hands to the doorman. UPS typically wants a signature and will take the item back to their station (more handling).

I've had a 52 lbs computer monitor stamped Fragile about 50 times by the USPS lady and wrapped in tape saying the same, not to mention marked by me several times at home. When it arrived at my destination, the box was upside down, with foam showing and peanuts spilling and the bezel was coming off when I opened the box. This was USPS Next Day. This box had holes on the sides where you could easily pick the box up and carry it. Instead they apparently chose to roll it because it was rounded. I had much better success the next time putting the same monitor through the wringer of American Airlines flying from New York to Dallas.

Last but not least, if it's super heavy you may run into a situation where the guy can't lift it, doesn't have the proper truck to handle lowering it, and does the next worst thing. Pushes it off the truck with the help of the female customer who apparently knows no better. I had that happen when I delivered a large format printer to a customer. This is because Fedex had recently purchased Watkins to handle its' large deliveries. Fortunately, Fedex fixed the problem by picking up and delivering a second printer and ate the shipping cost (over $300).

Hopefully still on topic and this is 4 years of experience dealing with different carriers.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 19, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    USPS is the worst. I've had 8 x 10 photos delivered and instead of them giving them to the doorman, they'll fold them and put them in my mailbox. Even though the package says
    "FIRST CLASS.
    POSTMAN: DO NOT BEND"
    rolleyes1.gif

Sorry, that's funny.

Next time that happens, take the folded mail to the post office and make a complaint. I've done that before with similar issues, and the PO usually take action to make sure it doesn't happen again. If you don't complain, it won't get fixed.

Cheers,
    -joel