Options

D200 - Need ideas to trigger my strobes

scolainsolascolainsola Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited November 20, 2007 in Accessories
RF, IR, Sync Cables, PC cords - someone please help!

I have 2 strobes that I have been triggering via flash (optical). This is not ideal because I do not want the direct light of my onboard flash (or, for that matter, by SB600 speed light) in the picture.

Obviously a radio sync would be the best option, but I am looking to spend under $100. What is my best option?

Links to products would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    I know what you're referring to about mixing your lights. I've opted (for now) to set my strobe power pack off to the side, dial down my on-cam flash, create a black hood that directs the light over to the power pack only and it seems to be working well for now. I know this is temp fix and a DIY, but it works and something you may want to consider...

The other option is to use a gell to alter the Kelvin of the on-cam flash. Still got those? They should have come with the flash, if you bought it new.

Now... without knowing which strobe system you have, it's hard to give any specific guidance. Care to share? mwink.gif
  • Options
    aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    RF, IR, Sync Cables, PC cords - someone please help!

I have 2 strobes that I have been triggering via flash (optical). This is not ideal because I do not want the direct light of my onboard flash (or, for that matter, by SB600 speed light) in the picture.

Obviously a radio sync would be the best option, but I am looking to spend under $100. What is my best option?

Links to products would be helpful as well.

Thanks!
    I got this one not too long ago and so far it seems to be pretty reliable. Your strobes would need a pc input for this.

Link

I attach this to one strobe and leave the others set to slave...
    Good luck
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Hmmm . . .
    I really don't understand your problem. With the CLS on the d200, you can set the on-camera flash to ONLY act as a commander and not add to the exposure. It won't show up in a reflective surface. It will fire its command pre-flashes, but not fire when your off camera flashes shoot for the exposure.

Oftimes, when I'm hunkered down behind the camera for a portrait (with both eyes open) I'll see a hideous red-eye from my subject. Scares the heck out of me, but it NEVER shows up in the shot, because it's gone by the time the shutter opens. It's just the commander pre-flash.

I'm considering an SU-800 to eliminate that visible pre-flash because some photogs say it distracts the models, but I''ve not had anyone be bothered by it, so I might save my $$.

Before you give up on your CLS, make sure you have it set up right. By the way, you can't do this with a d70. The commander always adds to the exposure with a d70, but not unless you want it to with a d200. Have I been redundant enough yet and repeated myself more than one time again.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited November 19, 2007
    There's a great table in the back of Shutterbug that lists the various trigger
    devices (radio) by good, better, best categories. From Pocket Wizard to
    Paul C. Buff, the list is comprehensive.

It's in the "special" issue which is still on the store shelves. You might also
    find it on their site (I haven't looked).

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    aktpics wrote:
    I got this one not too long ago and so far it seems to be pretty reliable. Your strobes would need a pc input for this.

Link

I attach this to one strobe and leave the others set to slave...
    Good luck

Gadget Infinity sells three different types: 1) Triggers for Hotshoe type strobes, 2) A set equivalent to those in the link above, and 3) a battery operated version of Type 2. Both #2 and 3 use 1/4 in jacks which are common to many monolights. I've had Type 1 and 2 from Gadget Infinity. Type 1 is OK, Type 2 is quite reliable and only ~$30 for a set. GI does ship straight from Hong Kong, so shipping is about $10.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=274

I now have the Elinchrom Skyport Universal trigger set which is a bit higher than your price range ($189 from B&H), but they are quite nice. I can fire either my Sb600 or my Alienbee with it. On my D50, it syncs at 1/800 reliably at a a distance of 400ft.