Options

Dgrin Time incorrect?

SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
edited November 21, 2007 in Dgrin Forum Support

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    I'll see what I can do. Also moved this post to the Dgrin support forum.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    36 mins slow for me...like i care though. I just like to hand work to Ivar.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    Checking the time stamp again because I noticed it was back to running fast on another post, again. Maybe the new server clocks are not sync'd?

YEP... They're an hour fast again. Ivar?

Users can modify the time displayed in the control panel (You!), then choose the correct Date & Time Options.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    It's right on the money for me. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    I'm seeing you posted at 1:58pm. Look at the time stamp on your message. Is that what time it is in TO? It's 1pm (now) here.
    dgrin_time_incorrect__-_digital_grin_photography_forum-20071116-130101.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    hmmm....

You can log onto www.digitalgrin.com
    www.dgrin.com
    dgrin.com
    digitalgrin.com

Not sure if they're different servers or not, but I'm on www.dgrin.com. Maybe try that? ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,205 moderator
    edited November 17, 2007
    Seymore, please try this in your control panel:

Automatically detect DST settings: set to NO

Is DST currently in effect?: set to NO

You had it at YES for both.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    Hence it's a bug in SM!
    ?
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    . It's NOT a problem on my end. OK?
    I'm so sorry Seymore, the system appears to be working just right for all of us here. I wish I had a better answer for you, but I don't ne_nau.gif

we are getting the accurate timestamps.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    It's right on the money for me. ne_nau.gif

Times right for me too and I'm on the other side of the globe :D
    ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    With this post I logged into www.digitalgrin.com. Let's see if the time stamp is ok here...

UPDATE: Nope Shows 1:15am where the time here is actually 12:15am.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    With this one I turned off DST, manually.

UPDATE: and it shows properly. Something wrong with the AUTO aspect of setting DST in the DGRIN servers. It only works, for me, in manual mode. So in the spring I need to turn DST back on in the control panel? Auto worked will we had the offset in DST, per the Govt.

222609737-L.jpg
    So you figured it out?

As a side note, you may find your browsing experience better if you turned on your cleartype text. deal.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    It's still what I see as a DGRIN bug, and something that should be totally transparent to the end-user. And I shouldn't have to make any changes to my setting for DST. That is a server function.

"turned on your cleartype text"? Please explain...
    I'm sorry but I disagree. If we had this bug, I'm guessing that hundreds of Dgrinners would be jumping down my throat lol3.gif

I'm sorry that it's not working right for you - I hope that you're able to sort it out soon? What else can we do to help you?
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    Well, I see all these "improvements", but I don't see specific (minor) issues taken quite as seriously. And if I see it, but you don't, you belittle me by saying that I'm lying (what I hear you saying to me) and it's not a bug! If only one person sees a problem, doesn't mean it not a bug. Means that it is only affecting one person. But it's still a bug and something that I CAN'T fix permanently!

Yes Andy, there is one more thing you can do for me... Explain why the AUTO aspect of the DST doesn't work for me. I can make the changes manually, but this should not something I should have to worry about and should be transparent to me. It was only since the week delay of DST that I observed this problem. I also dealt with Ivar, via PM, when this first started up. Maybe he made some change on my specific setting that were ONLY reflected on my acct? Have you contacted him and asked any questions? Prior to all of this (DST) I had no issues.
    Seymore, I'm really sorry you take everything that I the wrong way :(

I don't belittle my customers or our forum members. Period.

I'm really sorry you feel this way, Seymore. I'm really sorry that you have this problem with your time stamp.

If I could fix this, I would - if there was something to fix.

But honestly, and truly, this is about the lowest priority on my list, because only one person is telling me it's busted. And you insist it is a bug but nobody's reproducing it. So what am I supposed to do? Find someone to reproduce it, and I'll be on it.

For now, I'm moving on, Seymore, until someone tells me this is a reproducible thing and can show me the steps.

Again, I'm sorry that you take offense at this, and I'm sorry Dgrin forum software isn't working for you as it is supposed to.

I'd really like to help but I'm out of answers for you until you can show me a way to reproduce it. I'm really, really sorry.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    It's still what I see as a DGRIN bug, and something that should be totally transparent to the end-user. And I shouldn't have to make any changes to my setting for DST. That is a server function.

"turned on your cleartype text"? Please explain...
    I'll let the internets do my talking thumb.gif

Microsoft's guide to how to setup cleartype for windows xp
    Wikipedia entry on cleartype

• Options
    edited November 19, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    Mike... I'm not running XP, so I can't use this. But thanks for the education.
    What are you running?

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 19, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    It does what I need it to do.
    Mate, no need to get defensive, Mike's trying to help you fix a problem that can't be duplicated anywhere but your desk.

Maybe you should just get a Mac. :hide
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    Hey Seymore,

set the automatic detection to 'yes' and clear all your (dgrin) cookies. Then, log in again, see if that does the trick?

Also, please check your computer's DST settings. This is where Dgrin gets the info from.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2007
    Hey, Seymore, as you figure this thing out, I just want to point out that you don't need to post to check on it, as the time is displayed at the bottom of the dgrin page, like this:

dgrin_time_incorrect__-_page_2_-_digital_grin_photography_forum-20071119-094250.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Hey, Seymore, as you figure this thing out, I just want to point out that you don't need to post to check on it, as the time is displayed at the bottom of the dgrin page, like this:

dgrin_time_incorrect__-_page_2_-_digital_grin_photography_forum-20071119-094250.jpg
    Hey, speaking of which, you didn't accidentally change your time zone in the dgrin control panel did you? Just thinking of reasons this could have happened.

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 19, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    W2k/SP4 on a P4-3ghz with 1.5G of RAM and a 21" CRT. It does what I need it to do.
    Except recognize the new DST settings.

from this MS KB article : http://support.microsoft.com/gp/dst_topissues
    Windows 2000 has passed the end of Mainstream Support and will not be receiving an update without Extended Hotfix Support.
    All versions of Windows can be manually updated by using the tzedit.exe utility or other techniques documented in Knowledge Base article 914387, Online Webcast 930688, and similar articles for other countries. That is the preferred method of remediation for any product outside of Mainstream Support. (The tzedit.exe tool allows you to create and edit time zone entries for the Date/Time settings in Control Panel, especially for daylight saving time.)
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Except recognize the new DST settings.

from this MS KB article : http://support.microsoft.com/gp/dst_topissues
    lol3.gif Well I guess that is sorted.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    It's apparent to me that Andy doesn't have time for one W2k user.

Hi Seymore, please don't twist the issue. I'm not sure what I could do for you (and anyone else running Windows 2000)? If I had a way to fix you up I'd be all over it like nobody's business. If you have the fix, and it's reasonable wrt the rest of the 99.99% of the community that doesn't have this problem, I'll work on it. Let me know, anything to make this issue go away for you.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    Running win2KP here and it changed with DST. Ran no M$ update junk either.

Just go into your profile and change the GMT +1 or -1 twice a year. Simple,
    easy and the other 363 days do nuthin.:D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    Al... you're aware that the Govt implemented a change as to WHEN DST is changed now, right? So did you note that the DST changed on your machine with the old date or the new date?
    Seymore I got your pm, and this has now gotten to something where you are impacting my ability to serve the rest of Dgrin and SmugMug customers, effectively. Post here in thread, or don't post at all, that's okay. But I can't deal with this issue in this manner any more, Seymore.

I have stated that if I had a way to fix this for you, or if you could give me a way to fix it, we'd surely do it. And I meant that :)

Again, I'm terribly sorry that this issue affects you so. I'm so sorry that I dont have a fix.

Seymore, I'm really, really, Sorry.