On my prints it reads

photos@heartsfire.com_smugmug.com

The next order of 633 4x6 prints reads

Photos_heartsfire_com_smu9mu9_com

Is this how yours looks?

Dana
** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
no birds sang there except those that sang best.
~Henry Van Dyke

Comments

• StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    I ordered several enlargements.
    In my gallery I have it set to print photos@heartsfire.com
    On my prints it reads

photos@heartsfire.com_smugmug.com

The next order of 633 4x6 prints reads

Photos_heartsfire_com_smu9mu9_com

Is this how yours looks?

Anybody having these same issues?

Does yours turn out like what you enter in the backprinting box?
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Anybody having these same issues?

Does yours turn out like what you enter in the backprinting box?

Just my two cents, the backprinting option is a GREAT idea... though in reality, it does look pretty poor. The printing is tiny, there are frequent errors, you can't use symbols (including the copyright symbol), and it looks like one of those 1980's dot matrix printers is used to create the text.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited November 16, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Just my two cents, the backprinting option is a GREAT idea... though in reality, it does look pretty poor. The printing is tiny, there are frequent errors, you can't use symbols (including the copyright symbol), and it looks like one of those 1980's dot matrix printers is used to create the text.

Thanks Pete,

Do you get jibberish? If that's the way it is, I'd rather have nothing at all.
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • justusjustus Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Backprinting
    I agree, the backprinting quality is poor at best.
    Do you sign your images on the front digitally too? I haven't met too many Wal Mart and K Mart photo clerks who ever check what anyone is making copies of to insure copyrights are protected. I doubt anyone would see the backprinting and realize what it was either. As far as advertising goes, I don't think the backprinting is effective either.

(c) Linda Sherrill (555) 555-5555 and it has always turned out fine with no jibberish.:D
    Linda
    Justus Photography
    www.lindasherrill.com
  • SPK64SPK64 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2007
    Back Printing Upgrade
    Back printing is a weakness on prints. It is small barely legible and limited in # characters which ends up cutting off text if you are not careful.

Hoepfully we will see some upgrades and improvements on this in the future.thumb.gif
    edited November 16, 2007
    justus wrote:
    I agree, the backprinting quality is poor at best.
    Do you sign your images on the front digitally too? I haven't met too many Wal Mart and K Mart photo clerks who ever check what anyone is making copies of to insure copyrights are protected. I doubt anyone would see the backprinting and realize what it was either. As far as advertising goes, I don't think the backprinting is effective either.

(c) Linda Sherrill (555) 555-5555 and it has always turned out fine with no jibberish.:D

Linda does it have anything tacked on the end of it?
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • JimHobJimHob Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    backprinting
    my first order had www.hobgoodphotography.com and from the same order shipped a day later had hobgoodphotography.com_smugmug.com or so.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    I'll get Dr Know to weigh in here, thx.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    The new cards I received last Friday had this.

www...photosbyat...com...222227941

The font size was much smaller on the first part and hard to read.
    Might just type in caps and not use the SMUGDOMAIN and maybe
    they would come out same size as the file number.headscratch.gif
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Dr. KnowDr. Know Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    Backprinting and Technology
    Good morning all,

First, I must agree with all of the above comments regarding backprinting. Althrough there are advances with the technology, this particular tool is lacking some pretty basic functionality. The printer manufactures have yet to focus on the back printer, which is analogous to an 80's dot matrix printer. The font is static as is the size, and the amount of characters per line. Know that we continue to push our printer manufactures to develop tools that truly serve our customers needs, and as our vendors make adjustments we will update all involved.

Second, what I will take back to our engineering team is the lack of consistency with the text on the back of the prints. We use several types of printers, and each has their own backprinter and drivers, however, the information we feed to these printers is consistent and something that we control. I will let everyone know what I discover.

Happy Thanksgiving to all...
    Dr. Know :rutt
    edited November 21, 2007
    Thanks for chiming in here Dr. Know. I did contact the help@smugmug.com on this issue. Anne, Rich and Ivar have been on this issue with me. Definately something has changed because previous prints came out just fine with photos@heartsfire.com, while the next orders came with varying extra text etc. tacked on. With the same text entered in my backprinting box, I got two different results.

Text box: photos@heartsfire.com

Result 1 photos@heartsfire.com_smugmug_com

Result 2 Photos_heartsfire_com_smu9mu9_com

I have since changed the backprinting text in those galleries.

(No underline on the text.)

Thanks for looking into this.
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
    edited November 22, 2007
    Backprinting
    Thanks for looking into all this, everyone. I just received an 8 x 12 print for a client and the backprinting was so small, I'd need a magnifying glass to see it...

My backprinting has never had the weird characters, just poor quality font and mostly unreadable (too light). eek7.gif
    Linda
    Justus Photography
    www.lindasherrill.com
    edited November 22, 2007
    Backprinting
    I know we pros ask for a lot from Smugmug, and maybe I'm suggesting something that's already been mentioned, but what about a new color for backprinting? Something that would stand out (red or blue) so you could easily spot it? Once the backprinting dilemma is solved with the extra characters, font quality, etc a separate color would be cool!

Of course, this is me, entirely spoiled by Smugmug, sitting here just shooting pictures now instead of running to town (66 miles round trip) to get a customers single-order 4 x 6 printed and shipped......rolleyes1.gif
    Linda
    Justus Photography
    www.lindasherrill.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    justus wrote:
    I know we pros ask for a lot from Smugmug, and maybe I'm suggesting something that's already been mentioned, but what about a new color for backprinting? Something that would stand out (red or blue) so you could easily spot it? Once the backprinting dilemma is solved with the extra characters, font quality, etc a separate color would be cool!

Of course, this is me, entirely spoiled by Smugmug, sitting here just shooting pictures now instead of running to town (66 miles round trip) to get a customers single-order 4 x 6 printed and shipped......rolleyes1.gif
    Hi, be sure to read Dr Know's post - it's definitely tricky, as these hot printers use lame-o olde tech for the backprinting. But thanks for the suggestion.
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    Lame '-ol' Tech
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, be sure to read Dr Know's post - it's definitely tricky, as these hot printers use lame-o olde tech for the backprinting. But thanks for the suggestion.

Lame ol tech, or not...this is the way backprinting has been done for years...all my old 4x5 proofs came back with dot-matrix'd backprinting with fixed font and character count, and variable ink quality. Still, it was pretty much readable...I don't think it's the technology, per se. Got to be more diligent about recharging the ink and certainly control what goes on the print!

Sounds like the good doctor is on the case!

- Gary.