Options

Storing Lenses

NightowlNightowl Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited March 3, 2005 in Cameras
Are there any tips for storing lenses, especially in a slightly damp environment. Not only am I living through a damp UK winter, the flat I rent seems to be damp most of the time. :uhoh
I'm worried as I've heard about mould growing inside lenses! I've thought about a ziplock bag with some silica gel or something similar.
Anyone out there with some good tips? (aside from moving somewhere sunnier!)

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    wave.gif Hi nightowl, welcome to dgrin!

Stores here sell large plastic containers, about the size of two pillows stacked, that have a lid which makes a decent seal. If you can find something similar, that might make a nice general storage container for all of your sensitive photographic gear.

Sorta like this.

17641.jpg

Or smaller. Here's a link to a couple of pages of examples, from a chain of stores in the US called 'The Container Store." I've been seriously considering buying something like this for myself.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    what a drag to live in a damp place. ick.

nonetheless, I have two solutions for you.

(1) If it's just temporary, you can store your lenses in a ziplock with a big bag of silica gel. You should probably have one in your main gear bag too. Don't forget that they need to be dried out occasionally in the oven. There are lots of desiccants available, and here's a link to some of them.

(2) Store them in a firesafe. I have a reasonably large collection of coins and firearms that are stored in a firesafe, and I use something called a "goldenrod". It's actually a type of heater/dehumidifier that will warm and dryout the environment in the safe to prevent rust, mildew, and all the other nasties associated with moisture. You don't even really need to have it in a safe, just a place that's reasonably sealed from the outside air, like a weather-stripped file cabinet.

Good luck and welcome to dgrin.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    NightowlNightowl Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2005
    Thanks for the welcome, and the advice.
    I'm not planning to be in this place forever - so I guess I'll stick with the zip lock for now and perhaps investigate a plastic box when I have a bit more gear :):
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    A box like waxedbikiniline said would be good but i would put a tub of 'water absorbent' in also. We have it here called 'Closet Camel' Just a plastic tub...maybe 500 mls (pint) with type of crystals in it.

I used to live on a stinkin' flithy dilapidated old prawn trawler & i used them to try & keep the mold/mildew & diesel stink off humunguswifes clothes. She is a good woman to let a man buy a 38' boat.

Its really humid here in summer also & i recon it would be the biggest pain in the arm to always have to put your camera away. My p&s lived on my computer desk....i dont know how i will go when i buy some lenses.