Options

another attempt from Seattle's Kerry Park

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited November 29, 2007 in Landscapes
A pano of Seattle from Kerry Park.

This is probably the most well known and most photographed view of Seattle. There are probably dozens of posts on dgrin from this same view point (I think at least one other by me). However, I'm pretty happy with this take on it.

I went out there at 5:45 AM, by the time I left at 7:15 AM (just before sunrise) there were at least 6 other photographers set up with tripod taking the same shot. Here's what you get if you show up before sunrise...

224588271-L-4.jpg

as always, C&C welcome. And do you think the airplane should stay or go?
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    And do you think the airplane should stay or go?
    I say "go"! mwink.gif
  • Options
    TejanosTejanos Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Hi!

Great shot ... what gear and settings used?

Mark

http://photoblog.tejanoscatfish.com/
    http://photography.tejanoscatfish.com/
    greenpea wrote:
    A pano of Seattle from Kerry Park.

This is probably the most well known and most photographed view of Seattle. There are probably dozens of posts on dgrin from this same view point (I think at least one other by me). However, I'm pretty happy with this take on it.

I went out there at 5:45 AM, by the time I left at 7:15 AM (just before sunrise) there were at least 6 other photographers set up with tripod taking the same shot. Here's what you get if you show up before sunrise...

224588271-L-4.jpg

as always, C&C welcome. And do you think the airplane should stay or go?
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Andrew,

I don't care if it's an oft-shot view. It's popular for a reason. I wish I lived out there, it's so beautiful!

I love the warm glow of the city lights that are held in check by the mountains. I'm not particularly fond of the airplane because I prefer star trails. Is it possible to see stars from this vantage point or does the ambient light drown them out?

There may also be some slight lean to the left in this image, or maybe my eyes are confused because of the presence of tall buildings on the left versus on the right. headscratch.gif

Great job thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2007
    So I took the image, removed the plane, and tilted it about 1.5 degrees CW...

224741953-L.jpg

better?

The equiptment was a tripod, Nikon D200, and the 18-200VR (I was too lazy and cold to put on a proper lens).

And yes schmoo you can (kind of) see stars. Lots of light polution, but you can see a couple stars in this over exposed picture (the first shot of the morning). it would be interesting to try and do star trails using some graduated ND filters and really long exposures (maybe tomorrow morning :D).

224745010-M.jpg
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2007
    iloveyou.gif

Beautiful! I gotta move to Seattle.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    iloveyou.gif

Beautiful! I gotta move to Seattle.

Thanks schmoo, but you would hate it, no abandonded buildings to photograph :D
    Andrew

• Options
    SirArmstrongSirArmstrong Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    This is a very cool shot. I worked downtown for 7 years but live accross the water (Illahee) and did not even know this park existed. Good job and I also like the warm tone.
    Steve

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

Ansel Adams
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    I really like your latest version (straightened, no plane)! I would be very proud of myself if I had taken this shot! :D Great colors, the position of the Space Needle is very nice, and the silhouette of Mt. Rainier is wonderful. Good for you, getting up so early to grab this shot! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    swphotoswphoto Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    The picture looks alot better without the plane. The warm glow from all the lights look great! thumb.gif
  • Options
    PwFPwF Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    Much better now with both changes.
    Now I have a problem with so much empty sky.
    If you don't mind using whatever manipulation it takes to create a good image, I'd now take some moon shots, both full and cresent, and add one of them to the sky. Matbe about where the plane was.
    B SUM 1
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2007
    This is a very cool shot. I worked downtown for 7 years but live accross the water (Illahee) and did not even know this park existed. Good job and I also like the warm tone.
    Thanks Steve! This is one of many great scenic vistas in the city, but this one is probably the most photographed.
    Elaine wrote:
    I really like your latest version (straightened, no plane)! I would be very proud of myself if I had taken this shot! Great colors, the position of the Space Needle is very nice, and the silhouette of Mt. Rainier is wonderful. Good for you, getting up so early to grab this shot!

Thanks Elaine!
    swphoto wrote:
    The picture looks alot better without the plane. The warm glow from all the lights look great!

Thanks swphoto!
    PwF wrote:
    Much better now with both changes.
    Now I have a problem with so much empty sky.
    If you don't mind using whatever manipulation it takes to create a good image, I'd now take some moon shots, both full and cresent, and add one of them to the sky. Matbe about where the plane was.

I might have to give that a try. I'm more tempted to go back and try and do a shot w/ stars in it. Maybe a REALLY long exposure.
    Andrew

• Options
    PwFPwF Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    It would be a whole lot easier to find a dark area and just shoot star shots,
    and then use that for the sky over the city. Mask out the whole sky and replace it with the new sky, OR use a gradiant to fad the stars from top to bottom and blend in with the existing sky, but I don't think that this image would work that way. It's too bright to blend into a dark star filled sky. I'd try the masking way, get rid of the whole sky & sunset, and just go with the city lights and adding a stary sky. (and moon) In fact you don't even have to use stars and stay warm too. Just punch a bunch of holes in some black paper using a pin, and then photograph the paper backlit.
    B SUM 1
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Very nice shots! I moved to Seattle about a year ago and have been looking for places like that to shoot from. I'll have to check it out! Thanks for sharing!