Options

Question for the Nikon D40 owners

nickatnitenickatnite Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited November 26, 2007 in Cameras
Or all of the Nikon owners.

I'm 99% decided on the Nikon D40. I don't see any need for a DSLR over 6.1 right now, being that I am still a beginner/amatuer. I'm planning on keeping this for at least 2 years anyway.

How many of you have had any troubles with your D40? I've been looking at them for about a month now and ready to buy. I've found several good buys on them from Amazon and such, but I also keep going back to B & H photo.

I've got 3 main questions.

1) When you bought your D40, did you just buy the kit 18mm-55 mm lens, the 18mm-135mm kit or just the body.

2) If you bought the lens kit, did you have any regrets in NOT buying the dual kit ( 18-55mm and 55-200mm )?

If you had the chance to do it over, would you buy the same kit or dual kit?

Example from B & H:

Dual Lens kit D 40

Single lens kit

Thanks,

Nick

Comments

• Options
    kelsowkelsow Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    I am looking at this exact same system and I have learned that the "kit" lens
    is a very good lens but the thing to remember with the 55-200 is to get the
    VR version. This is also a very good lens. If you can afford the 18-200 VR
    do it, see here, http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

You can read all about this camera here, http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/index.htm
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Good reading here as well, http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm

Good luck and let me know where you bought it if you don't mind.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    Now you've done it. Brought up Ken Rockwell and his reviews. Let the flames begin.

When I bought my D50, I got the 18-55 and the 70-300. I hated switching out lenses so I bought the 18-200. When your needs get more specific, you will know how to spend your money better. If you can afford it, get the 18-200 if you want an all around lens.

Spend the most on the glass, but only you know what you are going to need or how serious you want to get. You will not regret paying for the best and you can always sell if you don't like photography as much as you thought. Once you play around with the 18-200, you will see the limitations of that lens and want more specific lenses to compliment it. To get dramatically better than the 18-200 or the two lenses you mentioned, you will be getting into pro grade lenses.
  • Options
    kelsowkelsow Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    jonh68 wrote:
    Now you've done it. Brought up Ken Rockwell and his reviews. Let the flames begin.

What I say?
    tng1.jpg
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2007
    kelsow wrote:
    What I say?
    tng1.jpg

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    JetrangerJetranger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    nickatnite wrote:
    Or all of the Nikon owners.

I'm 99% decided on the Nikon D40. I don't see any need for a DSLR over 6.1 right now, being that I am still a beginner/amatuer. I'm planning on keeping this for at least 2 years anyway.

How many of you have had any troubles with your D40? I've been looking at them for about a month now and ready to buy. I've found several good buys on them from Amazon and such, but I also keep going back to B & H photo.

I've got 3 main questions.

1) When you bought your D40, did you just buy the kit 18mm-55 mm lens, the 18mm-135mm kit or just the body.

2) If you bought the lens kit, did you have any regrets in NOT buying the dual kit ( 18-55mm and 55-200mm )?

If you had the chance to do it over, would you buy the same kit or dual kit?

Example from B & H:

Dual Lens kit D 40

Single lens kit

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

I just went through the purchasing of a new Nikon camera with a family member who had asked me to assist since I am pretty heavy into it.

He wanted the D40x but after comparing to the D80 - the small price difference was so worth the vast improvements.

He ended up buying the D80 + 18-200 lens kit. I would suggest looking at the D80 before deciding.

No matter what body you buy - glass is the most important factor. If you outgrow the 18-200 consumer lens, you can upgrade to the 70-200VR. This lens (as with all the pro lenses) will give you amazing results regardless of the body.

Once the D300 hits the streets you could pick up a used D200 for a very good price I would think. I already see lots of people dumping them now.

You can get some incredible deals on used mint condition equipment. I bought my 300mm f/2.8 used - for 30% of the retail list price and it looked like it had never been used ... even had the hard case and was still in the plastic wrap. It is now my most used lens.

If buying new - don't buy gray market ... don't buy from internet stores, and support your local business people and your economy. If you go to a store that provides you with advice and wisdom on products .. then support them by buying there. Price is not everything. If you use their expertise to make a decision - then support their efforts.

Steve
  • Options
    RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Hey - I bought my D40 just over a month ago - Im really happy with it and if i had to do it again i would buy this camera. I bought the kit with the 18-55 lens. At the same time, however, i bought a 55-200 VR lens (open box) and it was too good of a deal to pass buy. Both lenses are great, especailly for a beginner. IF...and i mean IF... i found an AMAZING deal on the 18-200 VR lens, i would buy that and just the D40 body... however that wasn't the case for me, and i have no regrets buying the lit lens and the 55-200 VR. if you have any more questions, feel free to aske me/PM me.

Go for it ! but know it's lens compatability limitations... (ie will only autofocus on AF-S lenses) but will work as manual focus on AF... and will work without metering on all others dating to 1959 clap.gif

Good luck with your purchase !
  • Options
    nickatnitenickatnite Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Jetranger wrote:

If buying new - don't buy gray market ... don't buy from internet stores, and support your local business people and your economy. If you go to a store that provides you with advice and wisdom on products .. then support them by buying there. Price is not everything. If you use their expertise to make a decision - then support their efforts.

Thanks for the words for local vendors...

However,

I'm sad to say that here in Baton Rouge, we have ONE independent store outside from the COMP USA / BEST BUY regeime. I'm not saying that they all are bad; but, I am forced to buy online and from what I have read on here, I will be buying from B & H when they start taking orders on the 26th.

My local camera shop (where I bought my Pentax W30 from) is trying real hard to push the Pentax off on me. They have made me a good deal, but I don't want a Pentax (to me it feels like I'm buying a cannon to kill a mosquito) for what I am wanting this for. Now my local shop does carry Nikon's but no D40's or D40x's in stock. And for what I can get the D40 dual lens kit on B&H, I can also buy the SB-400 flash and have a nice little set up with money left over.

Again,
    Thanks to all of you who have provided input and assistance on this.

Nick

ps,
    I had to go to those Ken Rockwell and read up also. Honestly, I did not know who he was until after I read all of that info. So I guess you can flame me for that comment, but I wanted to be honest!
  • Options
    ban25ban25 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    I have the D40x, bought with the 18-55 kit lens. I almost immediately went out and bought the 18-200. If I were to do it again, I'd buy the body only and then the 18-200.