Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    kdog wrote:

Comments and critiques always welcome.

Thanks for looking.
    -joel

Even though it looks very grainy I really like it.
    That is quite some moon scape clap.gif
    Well Done! .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 26, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    clap.gif

Sweet shot Joel!!

Thanks, Aaron!
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Even though it looks very grainy I really like it.
    That is quite some moon scape clap.gif
    Well Done! .... Skippy :D
    Thanks, Skippy!!

Just out of curiousity, where are you seeing the grain? I did shoot at a higher ISO than I wanted to because I didn't have time to get my tripod. Moonrises happen amazingly fast, and I almost missed it as it was. I tried to minimize noise during the processing, and was pretty happy with the result. That is until old eagle-eyes spotted it. :cryrolleyes1.gifBut I am curious as to what exactly you are seeing.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, Skippy!!

Just out of curiousity, where are you seeing the grain? I did shoot at a higher ISO than I wanted to because I didn't have time to get my tripod. Moonrises happen amazingly fast, and I almost missed it as it was. I tried to minimize noise during the processing, and was pretty happy with the result. That is until old eagle-eyes spotted it. :cryrolleyes1.gifBut I am curious as to what exactly you are seeing.

Cheers,
    -joel

I think what Skippy is referring to is that the shot is not real sharp like moon shots others have posted. There seems to be some noise in the sky and a little fuzzyness in the mountains. There is some rough edges around the moon as well.

Considering that you have some detail on the mountain and the moon in an early rise I think it is very good. The moon does rise rapidly and is difficult to get detail during the rise. Most other moon shots are once it has risen and a longer exposure and higher f-stop are possible.

Good Work thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I think what Skippy is referring to is that the shot is not real sharp like moon shots others have posted. There seems to be some noise in the sky and a little fuzzyness in the mountains. There is some rough edges around the moon as well.

Considering that you have some detail on the mountain and the moon in an early rise I think it is very good. The moon does rise rapidly and is difficult to get detail during the rise. Most other moon shots are once it has risen and a longer exposure and higher f-stop are possible.

Good Work thumb.gif
    Thanks, Aaron. You're right that taking a moon shot on the horizon is a completely different animal than shooting an overhead moon shot. Aside from the fact that the moon is in constant motion, you are also shooting almost horizontally through the atmosphere. It's a worst case scenario for atmospheric distortion. I'm fairly certain that's what caused the fuzzyness on the edges of the moon as well.

Here's an overhead moon shot of mine for comparison. Like I say, it's a different animal.
    normal_IMG_5515.jpg

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Cool shot... but there's something a bit fuzzy about the edge of the moon. It doesn't quite look fake, but sort of gives that impression.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    I see some chippies on the moon top, but it does not bother me at all. I would so pleased if I would get a shot like that. Great that the moon is so big...
    Lovely work if you ask me...
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:

Good Work thumb.gif

On my monitor I see the sky is full of it, and the moon as the others have said is kind of fuzzy looking.
    Maybe bad choices of words, probably should have said noisey (for the Sky)

Don't get me wrong I really like the shot, it looks really good, it all goes together just nicely nod.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Cool shot... but there's something a bit fuzzy about the edge of the moon. It doesn't quite look fake, but sort of gives that impression.

Thanks, Pete. I agree with you, although I swear the image is real. I shot 20 shots and they all have this. I'm certain it's atmospheric distortion caused from shooting horizontally to the earth.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2007
    photocat wrote:
    I see some chippies on the moon top, but it does not bother me at all. I would so pleased if I would get a shot like that. Great that the moon is so big...
    Lovely work if you ask me...

Thank you very much, Photocat!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    On my monitor I see the sky is full of it, and the moon as the others have said is kind of fuzzy looking.
    Maybe bad choices of words, probably should have said noisey (for the Sky)

Don't get me wrong I really like the shot, it looks really good, it all goes together just nicely nod.gif .... Skippy :D

Ah, thanks again, Skippy! That helps a lot. There is noise in the sky, and you have a good eye. I tried selectively blurring the noise out, but it left a halo around the moon. So I scrapped that idea. I believe the surface of the moon is very clean because there was lots of light there. The mountain surface is all rocks and scrub bushes, so one would be hard-pressed to see any noise there. But that darn sky is a killer.

The simultaneous moonrise and sunset only seems to happen a few times a year, and this is the best I've done. But frankly I blew again. :bluduh

Better luck next time. :D

Cheers,
    -joel