Options

What do you think of this gadget ?

RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
edited December 2, 2007 in Accessories
So I found this thing in the basement... It looks like it's made for video cameras... came with a nice lockable hard case (sweet - i can keep lenses in there)...

It's made by Optex and it's says Cam Support... I thought, what the heck..lets give this a whirl... I mounted my D40 just to see what it's like... the camera sits right infront of my eye... PERFECT !!

226660771-M.jpg

226660882-M.jpg

What do you guys think...could this come in handy? It's free... lol.... I'm thinking maybe if i'm out shooting something for a long time... like a motorcycle race... with a heavier lens ?... this also gives nice support and stability....:wink

Let me know what you think before I go out like this in public and ppl start giving me really funny looks :rofl

:dunno

Comments

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Hey!
    Is that a SmugMug strap I see there?

That is a VERY cool camera mount. Can't really think of a good use for it, though. 'cept maybe you could shoot a dart tournament without having to drop your darts, or hold a beer in each hand and keep on shooting ... ??

headscratch.gifscratch

(Nice mirror BTW.) thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2007
    Thanks to the TWO ppl that replied... clap.gif ... I guess i might end up looking like some odd Star Trek character, but it might come in handy i suppose...

I find it funny that over 118 ppl view it and only 2 care to respond... ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Raphy wrote:
    I find it funny that over 118 ppl view it and only 2 care to respond... ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif
    This happens a lot. Many people will be drawn in by the thread title and discover they have nothing useful to contribute. Be easy with it. This is better than getting dozens of useless "spam" posts - No?
  • Options
    James_DJames_D Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 30, 2007
    I've seem it before
    I've seen those discussed before. I don't remember where, but I believe it was an article on wildlife photography. The author recommended it as a nice alternative to a tripod when shooting long heavy glass. Kind of looks like some Borg attachment! Laughing.gif
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    It looks like it could come in handy if you were at some type of event where a tripod wasn't feasible. It's one of those things that as soon as you get rid of it......you'll wish you still had it! I wouldn't care if people looked or not. :D
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Why not take it into the field, and report back. I would be quite interested to hear what you thought about it's effectiveness. Bring back samples of with/without, compared to handhheld, or maybe even monopod. And different applications. We know your going to take it to the streets (who could resist?)...:D
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    idleberryidleberry Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    I'd wear it!

Sometimes I put on a gorillapod on the bottom of my camera, and then prop it against my body to help stablise my camera.

I'd put money on people asking where you got it from, and where they could find one too....

edit: good find, cos those things are on ebay for $50...
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    can you rotate the camera to vertical? It does look like a Video shoulder mount to put viewfiner in correct position and to help distribute the weight over the shoulder.......

Would be so cool if it went vertical then I'd have lots of uses for one (concert shooting- this would be great as I have never been able to use a pod of anysort and this would stabilize greatly for that or other such events)...only prob tho is no where to mount your flash off camera.......guess one could attach a Stroboframe or Custom Bracket to it and then all would be fantastic if the viewfiner was still in a usable position...OOOOOOOh yeah I see an oportunity for use............................

Is there a model number on that thing?????
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    THanks for all the comments !! clap.gif I knew your guys would come around thumb.gifLaughing.gifrolleyes1.gif... i'll try it out sometime and i'll let u folks know how it went.. i suppose i'll hand on to it for now :)
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    This looks realy funny! Unless you're able to operate the camera with your
    mouth I would guess you are making a complete fool of yourself rolleyes1.gifthumb
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston