Options

fall in Oregon

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited November 30, 2007 in Landscapes
This is one of my first raw images that I've attempted to process. It's quite a crop from the original, but I was kinda far away and don't have a wide angle. C&C appreciated!

211681627-XL.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    Wow
    I'm sure the more accomplished photographers on the forum will be able to offer you much more helpful criticism, but . . . wow!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    . . . and
    I even like the tilted horizon
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2007
    I really like the colors in the foreground. I wonder if a polarizing filter would help with the background haze?

Mike
    Looking for adventure in all the wrong places!
  • Options
    FrogwellFrogwell Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I like that a lot! Very dreamy. Did you use a diffuser filter or add the effect afterwards or is that just how the scene was?

thumb.gif
    I didn't sell out, I bought in.
    www.frogwell.com
  • Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Very nice, feels like I'm there. I think the hazy lighting makes the shot. thumb.gif

Looking at it again and again, I find myself tilting my LCD back and forth to try to maximise the effect. maybe a touch more contrast?
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I agree with the Wow! and also about the haze. It seems to me that the background could use with a little more contrast, but overall this is a beautiful pastoral shot. I love sunspots!

With a little masking and playing with curves I am also sure those dramatic clouds in the back can really jump out at us.

Great progress! Developing a new workflow is intimidating and often frustrating. I give you big kudos for staying positive and openminded. thumb.gif
  • Options
    knaryknary Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    This is one of my first raw images that I've attempted to process. It's quite a crop from the original, but I was kinda far away and don't have a wide angle. C&C appreciated!

211681627-XL.jpg

Where was this taken?
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Makes me think it should be a puzzle. :D Nice shot!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Elaine, I really like it. Excellent crop. You may want to add a little contrast to remove some of the flatness in the middle ground. Overall a great shot. thumb.gif
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    knary wrote:
    Where was this taken?

South of Hillsboro. thumb.gif
    Elaine

• Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    coldclimb wrote:
    Makes me think it should be a puzzle. :D Nice shot!

Thank you!
    Elaine

• Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    Dixie wrote:
    Elaine, I really like it. Excellent crop. You may want to add a little contrast to remove some of the flatness in the middle ground. Overall a great shot. thumb.gif

Thanks, Dixie! Yes, I think it does need a little boost, now that I look at it again.

How 'bout this?

226634423-XL.jpg
    Elaine

• Options
    JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    I so miss Oregon. I knew I should not have looked. rolleyes1.gif

Very nice shot. thumb.gif
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Thanks, Dixie! Yes, I think it does need a little boost, now that I look at it again.

How 'bout this?

IMHO, that is better.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Much better!
    Actually, I was going to suggest duplicating the layer, change the mode to "overlay" then reduce opacity as necessary....makes the image pop.

Very nice shot....What a beautiful place!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    This hilltop looks a lot like where my house used to be off of highway 6, west of Banks.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited November 30, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    This hilltop looks a lot like where my house used to be off of highway 6, west of Banks.

I've been out to Banks quite a bit this fall, visiting a friend. (This shot was taken south of Hillsboro, though.) There is so much lovely country around this area! Sometimes when I'm out driving I think to myself that I seriously need to take a Marc Muench workshop so that I can learn how to see and capture the landscapes around me.
    Elaine

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    This is paradise
    great photo
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Elaine,

Consider all of the cool barn photography in your area. I used to look at an old broken barn across the highway from my house there for ions, thinking how cool it would be to photograph it, and lo and behold a winter passed, and the barn was nothing more than a pile of lumber. Never to be seen as a barn, by a soul, again. And you are near a grip of cool wetlands...the Jackson Bottom Wetland Reserve south of Hillsboro, and the Killan Wetland on the Tillamook Highway (Hgwy 6). Now that I have some equipment, I wish I was back down there for a spell, and may just take a trip in the summer for more than visiting friends. Google 'Metro greenspaces' for Portland and they will have a list of them all. And they are always looking for volunteers for preservation, which gives you the right to traipse around their properties (gently).
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited November 30, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    Elaine,

Consider all of the cool barn photography in your area. I used to look at an old broken barn across the highway from my house there for ions, thinking how cool it would be to photograph it, and lo and behold a winter passed, and the barn was nothing more than a pile of lumber. Never to be seen as a barn, by a soul, again. And you are near a grip of cool wetlands...the Jackson Bottom Wetland Reserve south of Hillsboro, and the Killan Wetland on the Tillamook Highway (Hgwy 6). Now that I have some equipment, I wish I was back down there for a spell, and may just take a trip in the summer for more than visiting friends. Google 'Metro greenspaces' for Portland and they will have a list of them all. And they are always looking for volunteers for preservation, which gives you the right to traipse around their properties (gently).

Great ideas! Yes, I love barns and see a lot of them on my way out to Banks. In fact, my friend actually lives on a pig farm with lots of acreage and barns and old farm implements laying around. Sometime I hope to spend the day out there and the surrounding area, just to take pictures. I live about 10 minutes from Jackson Bottom and have been there a number of times with my camera. I need to do it more though. The picture in this thread was taken a couple miles south of Jackson Bottom, along Hwy 219.

I have a new camera and equipment coming in a few days, so I'll be even more inspired to get out and shoot! thumb.gif
    Elaine