'Splain to me Digital Slave Flash..

SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited March 21, 2004 in Accessories
And is this a viable solution to my issues with the lack o' hotshoe on the C-740?

Why the huge differences in price? How do I determine whether or not my camera uses that "pre-flash flash" system? The only mention of pre-flash I can find is speaking to the red-eye reduction flash feature.

Life is a plethora of discovery!

Had I warned you guys about all the questions? But hey, ask me about fish. :wink
Youth and Enthusiasm
Are No Match For
Age and Treachery

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2004
  • SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2004
    Thank you, Mun. I try to do a bit of research before I ask, and I've been to this site, Steve's Digicams (going through reviews), Porter's, and Googling.

Who here has used these slaves? Anything I should look for, watch out for, etc.?
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2004
    Just on your camera....do you have several flash modes in your menu ? My olympus has a built in flash that is often way too powerfull in a room. I use a lower setting...i dunno, maybe reset the camera to factory default. Just an idea as your flash should be ok in a room.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    But hey, ask me about fish. mwink.gif
    and what exactly do you know about me? eek7.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited March 20, 2004
    Uhh.. well, fish, that all depends on whatcha wanna know! For instance, are you overcrowded in your current tank? Are your parameters off? Do you need a refugium? How's your feeding regimen? A lot of this, of course, depends on just what kinda fish you are, you see. I say soak everything in Selcon several times a week. You won't like it at first, but you'll get used to it.

What I've found is that there is something called a slave flash (...or.. is it a flash slave..?), and there are such devices that are specific to digital cameras. These slaves are triggered by the flash that's already on your unit, and can be placed either on a flash mount (that your unit mounts onto), or even remotely (but not too remote). There is a vast disparity in pricing, from under $20 to well over $200. Their purpose is to fill a need that many digicam owners have with units that are produced sans hotshoe. Who-shoe? Hotshoe! I don't have one, BUT! (Remember, with me there's always a butt..) I can get a flash unit that attaches to this bracket, triggers from my flash, and there are even flash units (slaves, that is) that can be set to trigger at the right "set" of flashes (because, apparently, many digicams use pre-flash to set white balance and whatnot.. I keep trying to find the whatnot button on my camera, but I can't), whether it be a pairing, or a unique set of multiple flashes unique to your unit. Making sense so far?

To make the situation even more interesting, there are those whose flashes can be rotated, intensity adjusted, have their own little hotshoe (who-shoe?.. sorry), AND (!) can even be focus adjusted for those zoom shots that need be made with flash. I had sort of assumed (yes, yes, I know) that there would be a few folks here who are familiar, and might even have some experience, and thusly, advice, for those wishing to add such slave flash units to their accessory wardrobe.

So, here's what I'm thinking I might be able to make very good use of (features):
    - Tilt/swivel flash head
    - Mounting bracket
    - Flash "focus"
    - Flash intensity
    - Flash "learning" ability

Thing is, there seem to be many units on the market, and I'd like to make just one purchase, not several.

That, a telephoto lens, and a polarizing filter, and I'll be set.

And I would probably like something to help diffuse the flash, so I might get one of those little plastic softbox unit thingies, then I'll be set.

Til the beau takes me to Bali, then I'll need an underwater housing, then I'll be set.

Oh, and right now I'm using Dad's tripod, so I'll need one of those, then I'll be set.

And a reader, I can't forget the reader, after that I'll be set.

Of course, in Bali I would want to view the shots at the end of each day, so I'll really need a laptop, with cables.

And maybe another reader to go with it...

And by then I'll probably need more memory cards..

With that I know I'd be set.

I wonder if the slave flash can be used underwater... headscratch.gif
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 21, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    And is this a viable solution to my issues with the lack o' hotshoe on the C-740?

Why the huge differences in price? How do I determine whether or not my camera uses that "pre-flash flash" system? The only mention of pre-flash I can find is speaking to the red-eye reduction flash feature.

Life is a plethora of discovery!

mwink.gif
    I found this link as I was looking around the web for information on flash units for point and shoots without a hot shoe - might be of interest as it seems to be capable of learning to adapt its power to the flash on your camera even if your camera does not perform preflash. Might be what you are looking for.

http://www.vivitar.com/Products/Flashes/flash.html#DF200

Here is a link to the manual for this flash which does have a tilting head - NO it is NOT a blond either!Laughing.gif It actually looks grey headed! But that might be a good thing because it does seem smart enough to sync with pulsed and non-pulsed electronic flash.....smooch.gif
    http://www.vivitar.com/CustService/download/df200/DF200ManlE.pdf
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited March 21, 2004
    Yes!! This may very well be the ticket. Thank you muchlee, PF!
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
    edited March 21, 2004
    * Guide number of 28 @ a 100 ISO equivalent

What does this mean? And how important is it? Um, no.. I confess, I haven't yet Googled "flash guide number". icon_redface.gif
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    What does this mean? And how important is it? Um, no.. I confess, I haven't yet Googled "flash guide number". icon_redface.gif
    The guide number of a flash is a measure of its light output. The higher the guide number, the greater the intensity of the flash. Guide numbers are determined experimentally. A flash unit and subject are set up and exposures are made at a variety of f-stops. When the best exposure is determined, the guide number is calculated from the distance and the f/stop used as follows:
    GN = f/stop x Flash-to-subject distance
    More info here.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson