Options

My first bifs

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited December 1, 2007 in Wildlife
that I'm not too embarassed to post !
I've actually photographed a few birds flying that I thought were pretty neat until I discovered DGRIN :rolleyes However after reading a lot of advice and tutorials/suggestions on this board I think I've improved. I am absolutely blown away by the more experienced wildlife photographers' results posted here and realize now that there's a difference between "taking pictures" and "making photographs". So here goes my first tentative steps.
The following were taken on the south shore of Long Island New York. Nikon D80 18-135 kit lens handheld.

Comments/critiques/suggestions much appreciated.

Great Egret (f5.6 1/3200 135mm iso 500)
DSC_0194a.jpg

Ring billed gull (f5.6 1/800 62mm iso 500)
DSC_0127origcropped.jpg

Herring gulls
DSC_0239crop.jpg

Ring billed gull immature ?
DSC_0159.jpg

Ring billed gull
DSC_0120.jpgDSC_0120.jpgDSC_0120rs.jpg
DSC_0120.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Some good shots there Jack! thumb.gif Just jump in, I did and the comments you get from everyone help you learn even more!
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    Giphsub wrote:
    Some good shots there Jack! thumb.gif Just jump in, I did and the comments you get from everyone help you learn even more!

Thanks Mike
    This site is certainly a wealth of information.

Jack
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    You're off to a good start. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Jack'll do wrote:
    that I'm not too embarassed to post !
    I've actually photographed a few birds flying that I thought were pretty neat until I discovered DGRIN rolleyes1.gif However after reading a lot of advice and tutorials/suggestions on this board I think I've improved. I am absolutely blown away by the more experienced wildlife photographers' results posted here and realize now that there's a difference between "taking pictures" and "making photographs". So here goes my first tentative steps.
    The following were taken on the south shore of Long Island New York. Nikon D80 18-135 kit lens handheld.

Comments/critiques/suggestions much appreciated.
    Great Egret (f5.6 1/3200 135mm iso 500)
    Ring billed gull (f5.6 1/800 62mm iso 500)
    Herring gulls
    Ring billed gull immature ?
    Ring billed gull

Those BIF's are not easy to get.
    Luck seagulls hang around and keep coming and going.
    You at least get a few chances at getting one rolleyes1.gif

I like the #3rd and #4th shots .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    Harryb wrote:

Thanks Harry. I really wished I had a longer lens for some of the shots.

Jack
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Those BIF's are not easy to get.
    Luck seagulls hang around and keep coming and going.
    You at least get a few chances at getting one rolleyes1.gif

I like the #3rd and #4th shots .... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy. It helped that there was an old fella throwing bread to the gulls. I took over 150 pictures (many OOF, or with blown hilites) and will be posting more of the keepers.

Jack
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Considering the focal length of your lens (kinda short for birds) and no image stabilization (or whatever Nikon calls it), these ain't bad. You had to be fairly close which means you had to pan quickly. Backing off a little with a longer lens makes panning easier...but, avoiding handshake blur harder. Always a trade off!
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Considering the focal length of your lens (kinda short for birds) and no image stabilization (or whatever Nikon calls it), these ain't bad. You had to be fairly close which means you had to pan quickly. Backing off a little with a longer lens makes panning easier...but, avoiding handshake blur harder. Always a trade off!

Thanks Ric
    I really need a longer lens but am undecided whether to go with a fixed 300mm or some combination of variable plus teleconverter. This lens was the kit lens that came with the camera. I should have bought the body alone and researched a separate lens purchase. I was quite close to these birds, in fact most of the shots were taken at 62-70mm. Am I wrong in worrying that at this range with a 300mm fixed lens I would only capture a portion of the subject? Moving back much was not an option here.

Jack
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Harryb wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Thanks Ric
    I really need a longer lens but am undecided whether to go with a fixed 300mm or some combination of variable plus teleconverter. This lens was the kit lens that came with the camera. I should have bought the body alone and researched a separate lens purchase. I was quite close to these birds, in fact most of the shots were taken at 62-70mm. Am I wrong in worrying that at this range with a 300mm fixed lens I would only capture a portion of the subject? Moving back much was not an option here.

I fooled around with zoom lens and wish I had gone straight to the 300 with a 1.4tc. Gulls are relatively easy to approach and capture. When you try for others you will need the longer lens and crave for even longer ones!:D