Options

SmugMug: Coding to protect images

jatphotojatphoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
I need help protecting my images from those who right click > save picture as. I'm a new SmugMug Power User, but protection doesn't seem to be a part of their package, just the Pro version. Any ideas? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    jatphoto wrote:
    I need help protecting my images from those who right click > save picture as. I'm a new SmugMug Power User, but protection doesn't seem to be a part of their package, just the Pro version. Any ideas? Thank you.
    Right, it's part of our pro feature, it's not something that we offer for Standard or Power accounts, I'm so very sorry.
  • Options
    jatphotojatphoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 29, 2007
    Without this feature, how do I protect my images from copywrite theft? Is there any chance that this feature would be offered for a non-pro user in the future? I'm happy to pay extra to protect my work.
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    jatphoto wrote:
    Without this feature, how do I protect my images from copywrite theft? Is there any chance that this feature would be offered for a non-pro user in the future? I'm happy to pay extra to protect my work.
    Power users can add JS code right? If so do a search... there is JS code that will do the trick... Search 1st, if you can not find it I'll see if I can find it for you...
    But as Andy will tell you, there are ways around anything you do... I still RC protect... it stops some...
  • Options
    GarethLewinGarethLewin Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    jatphoto wrote:

Right Click protection is useless. First off people can turn javascript off. And even if they don't, they can simply take a screenshot of your image.

If you don't want people to get your pictures, the only 'real' solution is to not put them on the internet I'm afraid.

WaterMarking will probably help you a lot more.
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Right Click protection is useless. First off people can turn javascript off. And even if they don't, they can simply take a screenshot of your image.

If you don't want people to get your pictures, the only 'real' solution is to not put them on the internet I'm afraid.

told ya this response would come upthumb.gif
  • Options
    rkallarkalla Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007

jatphoto, Gareth is spot-on, but I did notice in your post you mentioned:
    I'm happy to pay extra to protect my work.

so I can't help but wonder... why not just upgrade your Power account to Pro, and then you have the protection features you wanted? (Maybe I missed something?)