Options

First pics out of the DSLR

bsquaredbsquared Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited December 7, 2007 in Wildlife
I am the proud new owner of a Olympus E-510, my fist DSLR and I went to the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix to practice and see if I could come up with something halfway presentable. Well at least I got some practice. :D This was also my first experience with processing other than cropping, etc..; and since this is only a hobby for me I decided to give Paint.net a try and I found it pretty intuitive.

I look forward to any criticism you can offer on these pics. Please feel free to link to any pertinent tutorials, information and whatnot that you think my photos show I need to read. Thanks in advance.

227600926-L.jpg

227617857-L.jpg

227619096-L.jpg

I can tell that the last one isn't right at all but I really don't have a clue what to do to make it better. I really liked the shape and texture of those cacti and would like to salvage it somehow. :scratch

Thanks again for your ideas, help, beration..... whatever:D

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2, 2007
    Wow, that bad huh? 47 views and not a single comment, criticism. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    Congratulations on your new camera! Great photos, I particularly like #2.

For the last one, you might try a tight crop around the cactus.
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    No not bad at all .

Were are a sensitive and slow bunch so give us some time to look and ponder.

One good way to join in the fun is to go view and make comments on others posts.
    I'ts also a great way to learn. It's also how some of our regular contributors can get a feel for you.

On your shots

#1 I like selective color shots, but many do not (it's just not real). You've done a good job here and I do like it.
    Maybe a different crop for composition would be better.

#2 I have no connection or feelings for this shot, there's nothing to hold my interest.
    Exposure and depth of Field however are fine

#3 Good exposure. A deeper depth of field would of been nice (everything in this shot should be in focus).
    The man made tag on the right is distracting.

All in All much better then my intial attempts.
    Please continue to participate and in so doing you will gleen much knowledge and a better understanding of the Art of Photography thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2007
    Thanks you guys, I appreciate it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    congrats on the dslrthumb.gif

i like the first ok.. maybe a crop just on the branch with flowers & perhaps a few of them in color.

I love the round cacti but for me the shot in itself doesn't grab me....go shoot this some more ....you can do better.....I can't:D but I bet you can
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Welcome to Dgrin wave.gif and congrats on your new camera.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Scott BoyScott Boy Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    first off congrats on the camera, I have an Olympus E-500 and I love it, I really like the first shot ( I like selective color) many here don't but everyone has their own opinion. I've posted a selective color shot and not many people cared for it, but changed it to all B&W and they liked it a lot.... second shot doesn't interest me much but I like the third and would probably be better with a tight crop on one of the cacti.

Keep up the good shots
    Scott thumb.gif
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2007
    rolleyes1.gif Sorry! I'm guilty of looking but not commenting. Was trying to skim through a bunch of unread posts when I didn't have much time.

I actually like the second shot best. It needs a little more punch though. Perhaps some saturation in PS... I don't mind the first, but the third doesn't do much for me. Hehe. You'll get no peace of mind here trying to please all of us!mwink.gif Anyway, nice ones, and enjoy the new camera!