Options

Big Sur question

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
When I drove to the first smugmug shootout in May 2005 I went all the way from LA to Carmel via PCH. One of the goals was to visit Big Sur, which I did.
Now I think I may visit it again, but here's my problem: I remember there was some (probably a bit upsacle) inn/hotel/lodge located between Big Sur Lodge and Nepenthe restaurant/cafe. I was told that this lodging institution
1) has great resturant
2) has some extreremly nice ocean view rooms/cabins, located on top of the cliff with like 180 degrees view to the Pacific.

I spent more than an hour running searches and using aerial views of both MS and Google Earths. I can't find anything remotely resembling what I need.

Here's where I think it is: MS Visual Earth or Google Earth. I can be a few miles off but not by far.

Can anybody help, please? :bow
I have 20th anniversary coming and I promised wifie to take her to a nice romatic getaway...:rolleyes
TIA!:thumb
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Lucia Lodge?
    I'll take a guess. Lucia Lodge is located on a bluff along Hwy 1.
    Cabins with a view of the Pacific.

It's south of Nepenthe though.

I stayed there once and it was nice. I think they've updated the
    place since I stayed there about 5 years ago.

Alvin
    Nikolai wrote:
    When I drove to the first smugmug shootout in May 2005 I went all the way from LA to Carmel via PCH. One of the goals was to visit Big Sur, which I did.
    Now I think I may visit it again, but here's my problem: I remember there was some (probably a bit upsacle) inn/hotel/lodge located between Big Sur Lodge and Nepenthe restaurant/cafe. I was told that this lodging institution
    1) has great resturant
    2) has some extreremly nice ocean view rooms/cabins, located on top of the cliff with like 180 degrees view to the Pacific.

I spent more than an hour running searches and using aerial views of both MS and Google Earths. I can't find anything remotely resembling what I need.

Here's where I think it is: MS Visual Earth or Google Earth. I can be a few miles off but not by far.

Can anybody help, please? bowdown.gif
    I have 20th anniversary coming and I promised wifie to take her to a nice romatic getaway...rolleyes1.gif
    TIA!thumb.gif
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    a110p0 wrote:
    I'll take a guess. Lucia Lodge is located on a bluff along Hwy 1.
    Cabins with a view of the Pacific.

It's south of Nepenthe though.

I stayed there once and it was nice. I think they've updated the
    place since I stayed there about 5 years ago.

Alvin

Thanks, Alvin!

No, that one was up North of Nepenthe, but South of the Big Sur Lodge.
    It had some funny name (ranch, barn, farm - for some reason I think of "pig") which contradicted with the verbal reviews of it, which were far, far north from a "pigsty" :-)
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Post Ranch Inn?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    For anything near the bay area, yelp is your friend.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 13, 2007
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    Angelo wrote:

I've got $50 sez it's the Post Ranch Inn!!!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I've got $50 sez it's the Post Ranch Inn!!!

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

didn't realize this was a competitive thread.

tell ya what; when I'm proven correct I'll settle for a beer and a hot dog at Pink's!
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    Guys,
    you're a well of knowledge! bowdown.gif

Post Ranch Inn looks close to what I heard of the place (David, I guess you can clain your $50 from Angelo mwink.gif). However, all the maps show it not exactly where I thought it would be...And, most importantly, the rates are... uhm, exceeding my funding capabilities... :cry

Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Thank you all very much! thumb.gifiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    Yeah, it ain't cheap. I've not been, but it's on my list of things to do before I die. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2007
    where's my wallet? has anyone seen my wallet? I seem to have misplaced my wallet!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    I liked the Terra Mar house, only $2800 per night. What a deal!

I just spent 19 days on the road, three days in Las Vegas, drove over 3000 miles, bought a set of new tires, DVD burner, t-shirts, entry fees to parks, two photos, and my total expense was less than one night in the Terra Mar.

while I am sure the view is great, can it beat sleeping in the bed of my pickup truck looking straight up at the stars, and the Milky Way, while listning to the Coyotes sing?

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2007
    Sam wrote:

I just spent 19 days on the road, three days in Las Vegas, drove over 3000 miles, bought a set of new tires, DVD burner, t-shirts, entry fees to parks, two photos, and my total expense was less than one night in the Terra Mar.

while I am sure the view is great, can it beat sleeping in the bed of my pickup truck looking straight up at the stars, and the Milky Way, while listning to the Coyotes sing?

Sam

I hear ya, Sam! mwink.gif
    Yeah, we changed the mind, and did something else. Maybe when my pictures become residents in Getty, then I'll be able to afford these nice inexpensive cabins lol3.gif
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    lol3.gif

Yeah you didn't get the complimentary continental breakfast!

But I'm sure you can get one of the included satellite radio stations in the room to play coyote howls.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited November 20, 2007
    Sam wrote:

Sam
    I finally got curious and looked at the Post Ranch Inn site. And wow - the web site claims that for the Terra Mar house they are "Currently accepting reservations for 30 days or more only. $2,800 / night (single or double occupancy); $200 each additional adult per night."

That is totally beyond my imagination.

--- Denise
  • Options
    scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2007
    I stayed at Lucia lodge a couple months ago. Restuarant pricey and only ok, rooms definitely not luxury accommodations, but great location & view.
    211799701-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2007
    f00sion wrote:
    I stayed at Lucia lodge a couple months ago. Restuarant pricey and only ok, rooms definitely not luxury accommodations, but great location & view.
    Thank you for the info and sharing, nice shot! thumb.gif