Options

Phoenix, AZ

claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
edited December 3, 2007 in Location, Location, Location!
I'm way ahead here, but why not start now? I'll be spending a few days in Phoenix in early/mid December & will be looking for photo opportunities. So, fire away.

I also hear there's a lot of good photo galleries to browse. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    beacazilbeacazil Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    I don't know where to start ...

South Mountain is a huge "park" with rugged terrain, saguaro cacti, wild horses, scorpions, rattle snakes, ... everything you've ever seen in a John Wayne movie.

When are you going? If it is some time in August or early September, you may run into Monsoon season. The temperature is lower, but the humidity is up a little and you'll have these great rains storms coming out of nowhere (and also leaving in 15 minutes or less). See a "Monsoon Sky in 2004" below.

The Desert Botanical Garden is a great place to see the huge variety of cacti.

Are you going to be mobile? There is a lot to see south of Tucson: Tumaccacori, San Xavier Mission, the civil and military airplane parking lots, the Sonoran Desert museum (actually a Zoo), Saguaro National Park, ...

If you can go north, there is a lot to see along I17 towards Flagstaff. Petrified forest, sunset crater, Oak Creek Canyon, and ... the Grand Canyon.

A few more Arizona shots here: http://www.usefilm.com/photographer.asp?P=1&ID=27122&PF=8671.

Jürgen
  • Options
    dbinazdbinaz Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    South Mountain is literally in my front yard. Been in AZ just over a year, but have never been there. Now that I got my new Sony A100, I will be definetly going there.

Where is the plane graveyard? That would be cool to shoot. Didn't know there was one around?

Oh ya, don't forget with monsoons comes massive sand storms too, not too good for cameras.

Derek
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2007
    dbinaz wrote:
    South Mountain is literally in my front yard. Been in AZ just over a year, but have never been there. Now that I got my new Sony A100, I will be definetly going there.

Where is the plane graveyard? That would be cool to shoot. Didn't know there was one around?

Oh ya, don't forget with monsoons comes massive sand storms too, not too good for cameras.

Derek

The graveyard is actually at the San Xavier mission just south of Tucson, Derek. But my profile picture was done while driving up to Dobbins Point. A great place to see the entire valley. Impressive when the sun sets and the city switches on all the lights.

Just drive into the park from the south (Central Avenue off of Baseline) and follow the signs to Dobbins Point. Pretty steep and windy road, but the view is fantastic.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2007
    thanks! I found it online. Looks cool, not sure if you can do your own walking tour or not tho?

Does anyone go out in this heat for pics or do you go ealry morning and before sunset? I am anxious to start learning and getting some cool pics!

Derek
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2007
    beacazil wrote:
    I don't know where to start ...

:D:D:D That's what I was hoping to hear.
    When are you going? If it is some time in August or early September, you may run into Monsoon season. The temperature is lower, but the humidity is up a little and you'll have these great rains storms coming out of nowhere (and also leaving in 15 minutes or less). See a "Monsoon Sky in 2004" below.

As I mentioned, early December. Looks like it's nailed down to the first weekend, so the 1st & 2nd, probably plus a couple days around it and travel days.

I will likely be somewhat mobile. It will be my wife and I and another couple. They are all used to my habit, so as long as there's some interest for them I can get away with indulging. I don't anticipate being able to take off for a few hours on my own just to shoot a remote location that only a photographer can love. ne_nau.gif

Oh, and my wife and I are stupid enough to go out in whatever heat for a good hike & photo opp. We just bring a bunch of water along.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2007
    Don't expect too much heat in December, it can get quite cool, if not cold, for the desert at least. ;)
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    dbinaz wrote:
    thanks! I found it online. Looks cool, not sure if you can do your own walking tour or not tho?

Does anyone go out in this heat for pics or do you go ealry morning and before sunset? I am anxious to start learning and getting some cool pics!

Derek

I am south of you down in Maricopa. I brave the heat every now and then to get some shots- this was an engagement session done at South Mountain last weekend started at 6pm- two different locations - one off Baseline and the other off the 48th St Park entrance.
    http://aaronnewman.smugmug.com/gallery/3122728#171060756

As far as the plane graveyard in Tucson you can only do a bus tour which is the reason I haven't done it. Might be able to call and get special permission though as I have been learning to try with other places.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2007
    I'm way ahead here, but why not start now? I'll be spending a few days in Phoenix in early/mid December & will be looking for photo opportunities. So, fire away.

I also hear there's a lot of good photo galleries to browse. Any suggestions?

There are a ton of opprotunities without having to drive too far.

I suggest taking a drive to Cavecreek and Carefree which is a fun place to visit. Lots of shops & bars. From there you can head to the mountains. In December it can be pretty cool in temp and the Ocotillo may be blooming and the desert can be quite green if we have had some rain. The mountains in this area even receive a dusting of snow at least once a year.

There is also Fountain Hills- Saguaro Lake with views of Four Peaks- Old Hwy 88 which goes by the Superstitions out to Canyon Lake and Tortilla Flats. In town there is the Botanical Garden, AZ Falls (man made waterfalls as part of the canal system), and several mountain parks (South Mountain, Camelback, Squaw/ Piestewa Peak, among many others.

Here are a few of my galleries you can look at- all of these are within an hour of Phoenix.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/1465257#69985631

http://aaronnewman.smugmug.com/gallery/2405901#126091990

http://aaronnewman.smugmug.com/gallery/2068672#106485585

http://aaronnewman.smugmug.com/gallery/2708811#143546298

http://aaronnewman.smugmug.com/gallery/1497275#71755457

Let me know if you need directions or want to do a meet up.

Aaron Newman

• Options
    ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    If you get as far down as Tucson, might as well make it an overnight trip. There's the Desert Museum that's already been mentioned -- it's more than a zoo though, it's a 'living' environmental education facility with an active rehabilitate, educate, release program for desert critters. Anyhoot, lots of photo ops there. Near the Desert Museum is Signal Hill and some Hohokam petroglyphs. You can make a swing through of either side (West or East) of Saguaro National Park. The West park on the way to the Desert Museum is really good.

Also a good place in the early winter is Sabino Canyon. You can tram up and down, get off and walk a portion and pick up the tram again. Beautiful views inside the canyon and up into the Catalina Mountains.

From Phoenix, Tucson is about an hour and a half drive, which is prone to heavy traffic once you get closer to Tucson during peak hours (7am-10am and from 3pm-7pm)

San Xavier (also mentioned) is really nice, but it always seems to be under construction! Check first before you try to go there.

Even though winter and not hot, it's still incredibly dry. You don't feel yourself sweat so you think you aren't exerting yourself. However much water you think you'll need, bring 3 times that. I use a 3L camelback for any outing I do.

Have fun!
    Adrienne
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2007
    Lots of great stuff! thumb.gif It's starting to look like more to shoot than I'll have time for.

I'll have to get some more details, but a meetup would be cool, Aaron. Nothing like a guided tour of an area by a local--this really opened up some great opportunities up in the St. George area in Utah for me.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2007
    Dredging this thread back up as time is coming near. I'll be out Dec 6-10. I think I saw something about a botanical garden starting a holiday show about now?
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2007
    Dredging this thread back up as time is coming near. I'll be out Dec 6-10. I think I saw something about a botanical garden starting a holiday show about now?

That was probably the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix. They will soon start their "Luminarias 2007 - las noches de las luminarias".
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    That looks like it. Thanks. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007

Right down the street from the Botanical Garden is Tempe AZ and on December 8th they are having the APS Boat Light Parade on Tempe Town Lake.

http://www.downtowntempe.com/Holiday-Boat-Parade.asp

Ends with Fireworks over the lake- (this was taken last weekend at the wheeled vehicle light parade)
    225487547-L-1.jpg

South Mountain Park is only 5 minutes from here as well. Let me know if you want to meet up at any time.

Aaron Newman

• Options
    edited December 3, 2007
    Oohh.. very cool. Just got tix for the Botanical Garden on the 6th & am going to the Zoo's show on the 7th with some local friends. This looks like a good option for the 8th.

There is a member of our group coming out who isn't too mobile, so any hiking is pretty much out. :cry Lemme get some scheduling nailed down & see if I can get away for a little while.