Options

What to look for in a Monopod (on a budget)

RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
edited December 11, 2007 in Accessories
Like with everything else, the more $$$, the better the quality (in most cases anyways...but not always)... sometime you can find good quality ona a budget...

I'm looking for a monopod and have never used one or know what to look for/avoid.

Just being out at lunch time, i saw this Optex T-5 for $29.99... :scratch ...I also saw a Manfrotto for $229.99 :huh ...

Help me out here folks ! :dunno

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Just buy the Manfrotto 680, and you are done, its only $56. You dont even need to add a head, though the 3232 Swivel Tilt Head is a no-brainer for an extra $20.

Not much more than the cheapest out there, and you can not buy more monopod for the money. You can buy slightly lighter, but not much lighter.

This thing is built like a tank, and will last you forever.
  • Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    I picked up a Sunpack at BestBuy for like $88. It is both a tripod and, a monopod. Actually I was surprised how heavy duty it was for the price. I like having inexpesive stuff for beating up.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    macmacmacmac Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Promaster SystemPro NS
    I just picked up the Promaster SystemPro NS for $89. It only weighs a little over 1 lbs and it close to just under 17". I like it.
    Link:

http://www.promaster.com/products/products.asp

I added the the Bogen/Manfrotto 3232 Swivel Tilt Monopod Head for $24.
    Joe

www.joemcdowellphotography.com
    www.joemcdowellphotography.blogspot.com

Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III USM
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    DO you find that the 'quick release" head would be of much benefit ?
  • Options
    geralds34geralds34 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    macmac wrote:
    I just picked up the Promaster SystemPro NS for $89. It only weighs a little over 1 lbs and it close to just under 17". I like it.
    Link:

http://www.promaster.com/products/products.asp

I added the the Bogen/Manfrotto 3232 Swivel Tilt Monopod Head for $24.

Do you find the Swivel Tilt Monopod Head easier to work with than a ball head(486 etc)
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    Raphy wrote:
    DO you find that the 'quick release" head would be of much benefit ?
    I love it. I have a tripod head and monopod head with the same quick release plate. Makes for easy quick work. I find it most helpful at weddings where I often am putting a long lens on a tripod or monopod, only to be taking it off and running down the ailse to get the couple when the ceremony ends.

I use the bogen/manfrotto 676b monopod. It is extremely light, inexpensive, easy to pack around, and sturdy enough for all of my gear. I have the sigma 135-400 lens which is quite large (3 pounds) and it does great on my monopod.
  • Options
    macmacmacmac Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    geralds34 wrote:
    Do you find the Swivel Tilt Monopod Head easier to work with than a ball head(486 etc)

The swivel head seems to be sufficient for a monopod. You don't need any forward or backward movement anyway. Alse the swivel doen't give the wabblely movement that you can get with a ballhead.
    Joe

www.joemcdowellphotography.com
    www.joemcdowellphotography.blogspot.com

Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III USM
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2007
    I love it. I have a tripod head and monopod head with the same quick release plate. Makes for easy quick work. I find it most helpful at weddings where I often am putting a long lens on a tripod or monopod, only to be taking it off and running down the ailse to get the couple when the ceremony ends.

I use the bogen/manfrotto 676b monopod. It is extremely light, inexpensive, easy to pack around, and sturdy enough for all of my gear. I have the sigma 135-400 lens which is quite large (3 pounds) and it does great on my monopod.

Sweet - I actually narrowed my purchase to the 676B - will be pickin one up tomorrow :):):)clap.gif
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2007
    One Monopod Consideration
    Consider the extended height of the monopod + whatever head you are using. I am about 6'1 or 6'2" (depending on which day I am measured) and I like a monopod which is tall enough for me to use. I use a Monfrotto 681 monopod.

I always use my monopod with lenses that have tripod rings (collars) and don't need to worry about side to side tilting or switching from horizontal to vertical because the collar allows me to do that without any problems.

I originally used a Manfrotto Midi-Ball head in order to be able to tilt my camera up or down and still keep the pod leg vertical to the ground (which is the best way for ME to use the monopod). This worked O.K. but I much prefer my new Manfrotto 3421 Gimbal camera Support (head).

the 3421 gives extra height to the monopod and is great for following action such as autos or speedboats.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies guys ...

I ended up with a Manfrotto 676B digi monopod and Manfrotto 234RC/Bogan 3229 tilt head w/quick release :) ... all under $100 CDN :)
    Height is perfect, actually a little longer than needed (i'm not that tall). clap.gif