Magazine publication questions

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited December 4, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I woke up this morning to an email from an international lifestyle magazine that wants to use my photos in an upcoming issue. :barb

Now that my initial excitement has passed, I've read it in more depth and am starting to worry about covering myself and making sure I don't screw up somewhere down the line. I have a few questions:

1. They said they will credit me and provide contact info and website URL if I provide it, which is good. What other questions are customary to ask to make sure that all rights remain with me and that I'm covered, even if it's years in the future? Or is that just paranoia on my part? Do I need to get more specific in my questions with them?

2. From the wording I'm assuming that the only compensation I'd be given would be the publicity. Since I am just a hobbyist and never took any of my shots expecting fat rewards, I am OK with this right now. However would working for free (so to speak) set a bad precedent with any other possible opportunities in the future? I have heard a few but varying opinions on this topic....

3. They claim to need very high res copies of my photos for them to look good in print: 23 x 32 cm at 300 dpi. First of all, I am not even sure how to calculate from the number of pixels/side if my original files are that large. Second of all... is this standard? Of course I am a little nervous sending unwatermarked high res originals to a stranger, but I have also never worked with print media before. Help? Advice? Warnings? :dunno

Thanks and I welcome any input at all about the matter from you pros!

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Hi Stephanie

You could take the licencing agreement that is on digital downloads as a starting place for getting some wording in place. There is some info here too.

As far as ONLY recieving credit, well I do not think you should agree to that, and for sure should not open with that bargaining position. Your work is really good, and in addition it is much harder to raise prices after setting precident.

As far as overall resolution - why would they need that size if there urpose is a standard size magazine - even the cover shot should not need to be more than 8 x 11 1/2 final. I suppose a double page spread needs to be bigger. I'm sure others will have better answers.

I was recently asked for some shots for a recreation mag - including cover and several shots for the story. I started asking for $400 for the full res digital download for the cover, and the customer walked. Fine by me, but it was a magazine with revenue and circulation over 20K so my research suggested that was a reasonable starting point. Clearly the customer didn't agree and I was far enough off their price that they chose not to negotiate.

ann
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    I've done this once before as well and I am also just a hobbyist. However I "demanded" to be paid for the images. "Publicity" might be helpful for a professional just starting out, but as a hobbyist, publicity wasn't worth much. Show me the $$$! deal.gif

Just my two cents, but they should be willing to pay you.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Stephanie

You could take the licencing agreement that is on digital downloads as a starting place for getting some wording in place. There is some info here too.

As far as ONLY recieving credit, well I do not think you should agree to that, and for sure should not open with that bargaining position. Your work is really good, and in addition it is much harder to raise prices after setting precident.

As far as overall resolution - why would they need that size if there urpose is a standard size magazine - even the cover shot should not need to be more than 8 x 11 1/2 final. I suppose a double page spread needs to be bigger. I'm sure others will have better answers.

I was recently asked for some shots for a recreation mag - including cover and several shots for the story. I started asking for $400 for the full res digital download for the cover, and the customer walked. Fine by me, but it was a magazine with revenue and circulation over 20K so my research suggested that was a reasonable starting point. Clearly the customer didn't agree and I was far enough off their price that they chose not to negotiate.

ann
    Ann, thanks for your quick response and sharing your experience! Yes zweiblumen is pushing heavily for charging even just my regular digital download rates for this mag. I never thought to look up the circulation stats for this publication... how do you calculate a ballpark figure for pricing based off of that number?

I'm coming up with some great advice already on Dgrin from people who've had similar issues. I am just very afraid of trying to cobble together my response email bringing up cost because it's a lovely magazine that I would love to be involved with. However I know that we all have standards.

I looked on a ruler and actually 23x 32 cm is pretty small, or at least on par with the 8 x 11 inches that I am used to dealing with. Given I use a 30D I am sure my images are of the proper minimum size. :D

At this point though I think my biggest problem is with compensation...
    edited December 4, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    I've done this once before as well and I am also just a hobbyist. However I "demanded" to be paid for the images. "Publicity" might be helpful for a professional just starting out, but as a hobbyist, publicity wasn't worth much. Show me the $$$! deal.gif

Just my two cents, but they should be willing to pay you.

Thanks for your input, Pupator! I'm leaning that way now as well. While I am generally pretty openminded about the tangible and not-so-tangible definitions of "compensation" I do want to be able to live with myself in the morning.

I don't think my digital download rates are that bad, especially considering the rates real pro wedding photographers charge.

How did your publication story end up?
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    2. From the wording I'm assuming that the only compensation I'd be given would be the publicity. Since I am just a hobbyist and never took any of my shots expecting fat rewards, I am OK with this right now. However would working for free (so to speak) set a bad precedent with any other possible opportunities in the future? I have heard a few but varying opinions on this topic....
    Why on earth would you be ok with giving away an image for free to a profit making entity like that? They make money off that magazine, no reason why you shouldn't make money contributing to it! This isn't charity.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited December 4, 2007
    Dig around here

Sorry I can't find the exact link right now and I'm at work so shouldn't look too hard mwink.gif but I found a calculator for 'stock' photography prices - plug in size of image, plug in circulation and I guessed at the price for adverts, and a price range was calculated. Don't really have any more infor as to how valid it was, but it was an interesting exercise.

ann
    edited December 4, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    Why on earth would you be ok with giving away an image for free to a profit making entity like that? They make money off that magazine, no reason why you shouldn't make money contributing to it! This isn't charity.
    Thanks for the smack, Bill! I actually just sent off my reply to the contact explaining that digital downloads are available with a commercial licensing agreement right off my site. If they don't like my prices then I guess at least I'll be able to keep warm this winter basking in the glow of having been asked. :D
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Maybe this will help....

Stock Pricing Guide

And from the wonder people here, don't ever give anything away just for credit, especially for businesses (non-profit and colleges included).

Your work is too good!
    edited December 4, 2007
    aktse wrote:
    Maybe this will help....

Stock Pricing Guide

And from the wonder people here, don't ever give anything away just for credit, especially for businesses (non-profit and colleges included).

Your work is too good!

That's a wonderful link, April! Thank you! :D

Ha I like the disclaimer on that site: "If this pricing program causes you distress, financial loss, or marital discord, we take no responsibility..."
    edited December 4, 2007
    That's the link, April!

And good job, Stephanie, for recognizing that your work has value.

ann
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Stephany,
    get Da Book! deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited December 4, 2007
    Nik, I will now! :D I don't think that this kind of deal will be presented to me very often, given that I don't advertise my photography at all and I am even confused now as to how they found me. Yes the gallery was public but I had not keyworded it yet and the only places I've showed those photos were here on Dgrin and on my website blog (where the readership is mostly my personal friends).

I suppose if I had a firm pricing scheme already in place, however, it'd make responding to any opportunities a lot easier. As it was I had no prices for commercial licensed downloads because I never thought the day would come. Huh!

Thanks, Ann! I researched the mag more thoroughly before I sent my reply and downloaded a PDF copy of their last issue. Once I saw the kinds of companies they had plastered all over in advertisements I had no qualms about bringing up my (very reasonable) rates. If they can afford Gucci, they probably can afford me. headscratch.gif

Well, we'll see!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Nik, I will now! :D I don't think that this kind of deal will be presented to me very often, ...
    I've never been offered anything like that (from the publications, I mean), but that does not mean I don't know my prices mwink.gif
    Good luck! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    ... given that I don't advertise my photography at all and I am even confused now as to how they found me. Yes the gallery was public but I had not keyworded it yet and the only places I've showed those photos were here on Dgrin and on my website blog (where the readership is mostly my personal friends).

People tend to forget that the world wide web is a very big place and somehow people find can find things. If people don’t want something to be found, don’t post it.

Even though I don’t have any contact info posted on my smugmug site (just a place for my personal photos), I was hired for my first ever paid shoot via a comment on a gallery – yes, a comment. headscratch.gif To this day, this still shocks me. I didn’t know anyone on that specific team at that time, shot that game for only five minutes and only keyworded team names (common generic sports names). And I only got some frames team since I had to get to the rink earlier enough to set the roster for my team who played the next game (I was on the IR)! Without my hockey gear, I appear to be rink bunny completely bundled up head to toe and forced to be out there cheering to support a boyfriend. But somehow, someone on that team found my photos…

When I received that comment, I had no clue about ANYTHING. Pricing? Business model? Photo rights? What’s that? The good news is that you’re forced to pondering these things now and when the opportunity arrives again in the future, you’ll be ready.

If you put it on the web for public viewing, someone can find it. But just remember, your work is valuable and please don’t undervalue it.

Good luck.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 4, 2007
    this sounds SCHMOOLICIOUS!!!! lol3.gif

the request for a hi-res 23 x 32 cm is not uncommon. That equals approximately 9" x 12" and would be necessary if they intend to run a full-bleed page.

"as a hobbyist"

here's what I would do:

1) determine the intent of the image use. assuming it will be a support visual for editorial content ask for a fee ranging from $79 - $129 for one-time useage. (I'm relying on standard stock prices as a guideline)

I would assume this is not intended for commercial advertising as the original request would most likely have come from a very different source. If so, that's a different ballgame... come back to me
  • MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    My take....
    I have not even read thru the comments posted in this thread but my opinion is NO Pay NO Play - and I bet the overall consensus is the same! Magazines all have budgets to pay for photos - why should they not pay for yours? I can almost garantee that you will get ZERO additional sales or future work from having you name listed with the photo - all it will bring you is some minor bragging rights amount family and friends. Give away photos for free/credit only only brings down the credibility for professionals doing it for a living. I am only doing it as a hobbie, but would NEVER give a photo away for commercial/editorial use to a for profit entity.

Either get paid for your image or decline and move on.

Michael

schmoo wrote:
    I woke up this morning to an email from an international lifestyle magazine that wants to use my photos in an upcoming issue. wings.gif

Now that my initial excitement has passed, I've read it in more depth and am starting to worry about covering myself and making sure I don't screw up somewhere down the line. I have a few questions:

1. They said they will credit me and provide contact info and website URL if I provide it, which is good. What other questions are customary to ask to make sure that all rights remain with me and that I'm covered, even if it's years in the future? Or is that just paranoia on my part? Do I need to get more specific in my questions with them?

3. They claim to need very high res copies of my photos for them to look good in print: 23 x 32 cm at 300 dpi. First of all, I am not even sure how to calculate from the number of pixels/side if my original files are that large. Second of all... is this standard? Of course I am a little nervous sending unwatermarked high res originals to a stranger, but I have also never worked with print media before. Help? Advice? Warnings? ne_nau.gif

Thanks and I welcome any input at all about the matter from you pros!
    edited December 4, 2007
    I have not even read thru the comments posted in this thread but my opinion is NO Pay NO Play - and I bet the overall consensus is the same! Magazines all have budgets to pay for photos - why should they not pay for yours? I can almost garantee that you will get ZERO additional sales or future work from having you name listed with the photo - all it will bring you is some minor bragging rights amount family and friends. Give away photos for free/credit only only brings down the credibility for professionals doing it for a living. I am only doing it as a hobbie, but would NEVER give a photo away for commercial/editorial use to a for profit entity.

Either get paid for your image or decline and move on.

Michael
    Michael,

If you had read the other comments, you'd have seen that 2 hours after I made the OP I responded to the magazine explaining my rates. Now that this issue is out of the way all I have to do wait to hear back and focus on the other questions I had. thumb.gif

Thanks for your insight on the issue!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Looks like you've got everything covered, so all that remains is for me to say: woooo-hoooo! Congrats! That's awesome! clap.gif

Oh, and I work in magazine publishing, and have been on the requesting side of image rights. If you have any specific follow-up questions, feel free to PM me. I'm happy to give insight "from the other side." :D
    edited December 4, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    this sounds SCHMOOLICIOUS!!!! lol3.gif

the request for a hi-res 23 x 32 cm is not uncommon. That equals approximately 9" x 12" and would be necessary if they intend to run a full-bleed page.

"as a hobbyist"

here's what I would do:

1) determine the intent of the image use. assuming it will be a support visual for editorial content ask for a fee ranging from $79 - $129 for one-time useage. (I'm relying on standard stock prices as a guideline)

I would assume this is not intended for commercial advertising as the original request would most likely have come from a very different source. If so, that's a different ballgame... come back to me
    This information is truly ANGELONEY! :D

9x12 inches, huh? I shoot with a 30D and Photoshop is telling me some of my images are 7.8 x 11.7 (cropping for composition). :splat I imagine that because it's just a tad short these images would be written off? What kind of camera do I need to get to be able to submit for magazines???? :bash

I did ask them what kind of spread/article/piece they had in mind and how many images they need. I am 99% sure it was not for advertising!

Are you in the business? You must be in the business. You always have great info.
    edited December 4, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Looks like you've got everything covered, so all that remains is for me to say: woooo-hoooo! Congrats! That's awesome! clap.gif

Oh, and I work in magazine publishing, and have been on the requesting side of image rights. If you have any specific follow-up questions, feel free to PM me. I'm happy to give insight "from the other side." :D

By jove, you're right! I always think of you as a full-time photographer, not so much in the making-words-appear-on-paper business. :D

Thank you so much for your offer and I will probably take you up on it, especially if I do hear back from them!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    By jove, you're right! I always think of you as a full-time photographer, not so much in the making-words-appear-on-paper business. :D

Flatterer. iloveyou.gif (Now that I've recovered from my giggle fit.)

Regarding resolution and size, do you shoot RAW or JPG? If RAW, what program do you use to convert it? I noticed when using Lightroom for the first time, it defaulted to 240dpi for resolution when I was exporting TIFFs. I upped it to 300dpi for printing purposes, but it took me a while to notice LR had done that. So it could be your editing program defaults and not your camera causing the issue.

Your just-shy image size shouldn't "disqualify" your image unless they are planning on a full-bleed page, as Angelo said. I wouldn't really stress about this until you hear some specifics back from them. thumb.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 4, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    This information is truly ANGELONEY! :D

9x12 inches, huh? I shoot with a 30D and Photoshop is telling me some of my images are 7.8 x 11.7 (cropping for composition). :splat I imagine that because it's just a tad short these images would be written off? What kind of camera do I need to get to be able to submit for magazines???? :bash

I did ask them what kind of spread/article/piece they had in mind and how many images they need. I am 99% sure it was not for advertising!

Are you in the business? You must be in the business. You always have great info.

As a Creative Director I often hire photogrpahers and purchase images all the time.