AlbumFetcher - Download multiple galleries w/ embedded captions and keywords

Comments

• wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    Tara wrote:
    Hi,
    I just tried Album Fetcher-thanks.clap.gif

How can I get the original files (with smugmug edits) with the SM order and given #'s? I got my file #s rather than the SM #'s. Thanks:D

Thanks for the nice comment - glad you like it. AlbumFetcher was designed to get the unaltered originals back. I've never given a thought to getting modified files back, since I personally do all that before SmugMug ever gets my files. However, you make an excellent point. I can completely see how someone would want to save their SmugMug-edited files.

Unfortunately, this is more than I can mod AF to do any time soon. The source code is posted, so if you or someone you know wants to take a crack go for it! :D
  • underexposedunderexposed Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    I just stumbled upon this. This is great! Even better than the Send to Smugmug app cause I can queue up files and upload all at once.

(I still appreciate Send to Smugmug though, Omar!)

Anyways, was wondering if you'll be incorporating the new max size (smugmungous) options into an update. Thanks!
    edited October 26, 2007
    I just stumbled upon this. This is great! Even better than the Send to Smugmug app cause I can queue up files and upload all at once.

(I still appreciate Send to Smugmug though, Omar!)

Anyways, was wondering if you'll be incorporating the new max size (smugmungous) options into an update. Thanks!

Thanks! AlbumFetcher always downloads the originals you uploaded to SmugMug, so it's not really affected by the SmugMungous hotness.
  • underexposedunderexposed Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    Thanks! AlbumFetcher always downloads the originals you uploaded to SmugMug, so it's not really affected by the SmugMungous hotness.

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I wanted to know if the max display size option (XL, XL2, XL3, Orig) would be available in AlbumFetcher. Right now it's just the old "Allow Originals" - yes or no. With the smugmungous feature, you can select XL -> Original max display size inside the Customize Gallery page.

That does answer my other question though about getting the original file even if the max display size is not the Original.

Thanks!
    edited November 1, 2007
    Sorry I wasn't very clear. I wanted to know if the max display size option (XL, XL2, XL3, Orig) would be available in AlbumFetcher. Right now it's just the old "Allow Originals" - yes or no. With the smugmungous feature, you can select XL -> Original max display size inside the Customize Gallery page.

That does answer my other question though about getting the original file even if the max display size is not the Original.

Thanks!

I think I see what you're after. If AlbumFetcher were ever extended to offer functionality in accounts other than the user's (i.e. someone using AF to download someone else's galleries), than having the ability to select an alternate image size would be very useful.

That being said, AF is currently intended as an easy way to download your own originals with minimum hassle. As always, if anyone wants to extend new functionality to AF, the source is posted in the first post.

Thanks!
    -Greg
  • mteichermteicher Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2007
    [ALBUMFETCHER] Timeout when downloading an album
    Windows Vista Business
    I would like to utilize Album Fetcher to download an entire album, but it keeps on timing out, after downloading a few of the pictures from a selected album.

Direct Connection to the Internet
    No Proxies
    No security enabled either
    AV disabled
    Spyware disabled

please help

/mark
    Mark Teicher
    Principle Photographer/Co-Founder
    Body Bumpers, LLC
    PH: 717 918 1262
    Fax: 831 480 5873
    url: www.body-bumpers.com
    email: mteicher@body-bumpers.com
  • mteichermteicher Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    AlbumFetcher and Windows Vista
    It appears that AlbumFetcher works ok on Windows Vista if the album size is limited to less tha 500 pictures. I have albums that contain greater than 500 pictures. If you download multiple albums at once with less than 500 pictures, AlbumFetcher throws a Microsoft Visual C++ error handle, but the process does not shutdown gracefully, as in the process zombies, and sometimes freezes my Windows Vista operating system.

The question is has this application been tested with Windows Vista, what modificiations can be made to prevent it from crashing

/thx

/mark
    Mark Teicher
    Principle Photographer/Co-Founder
    Body Bumpers, LLC
    PH: 717 918 1262
    Fax: 831 480 5873
    url: www.body-bumpers.com
    email: mteicher@body-bumpers.com
    edited December 5, 2007
    mteicher wrote:
    It appears that AlbumFetcher works ok on Windows Vista if the album size is limited to less tha 500 pictures. I have albums that contain greater than 500 pictures. If you download multiple albums at once with less than 500 pictures, AlbumFetcher throws a Microsoft Visual C++ error handle, but the process does not shutdown gracefully, as in the process zombies, and sometimes freezes my Windows Vista operating system.

The question is has this application been tested with Windows Vista, what modificiations can be made to prevent it from crashing

/thx

/mark

Mark,

AF has not been tested on Vista. You might try this alternate downloader.

-Greg
  • rschofieldrschofield Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    Current version is now 0.2.1.
    Greg,

I downloaded and tried AlbumFetcher 0.2.1 this weekend. It works great except for these two problems that I ran into:

1) It crashes with the following message when downloading some large panorama images:
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!
    Program C:\Program Files\Miscellaneous\AlbumFetcher.exe
    abnormal program termination
    I can't see anything obvious about the images. AF does handle other files larger in both pixel dimensions and MB.

2) It generates the following error message on some of my galleries but especially in one:
    One or more MD5 checksum tests failed
    In that one particular gallery I have 67 images. All have SmugMug keywords and all but 6 have SmugMug captions. None of the keywords/captions have non-ANSI characters though some have double quotes (i.e., "butterfly world"). 21 of the files generate the MD5 checksum error.

I've tried rerunning AF but get the same problems on the same files.

All galleries contain exclusively .jpg's -- no .gif's or .png's. I have specified a download folder other than the default and all options -- 'Embed IPTC data...', 'Download album descriptions', and 'Skip local files...' -- ticked.

I'm using version 0.2.1 on Windows XP-SP2. I have IE 6.0 installed but I never use it unless absolutely necessary. All appropriate Windows Updates have been applied.

I am pretty good about backing up my photographs (both to multiple external hard disks and to DVDs) but would like to be able to back up my SmugMug galleries as well and AF looks great except these problems.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

--
    Dick
    http://rschofield.smugmug.com/
    edited December 30, 2007
    rschofield wrote:
    Greg,

I downloaded and tried AlbumFetcher 0.2.1 this weekend. It works great except for these two problems that I ran into:

1) It crashes with the following message when downloading some large panorama images:
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!
    Program C:\Program Files\Miscellaneous\AlbumFetcher.exe
    abnormal program termination
    I can't see anything obvious about the images. AF does handle other files larger in both pixel dimensions and MB.

2) It generates the following error message on some of my galleries but especially in one:
    One or more MD5 checksum tests failed
    In that one particular gallery I have 67 images. All have SmugMug keywords and all but 6 have SmugMug captions. None of the keywords/captions have non-ANSI characters though some have double quotes (i.e., "butterfly world"). 21 of the files generate the MD5 checksum error.

I've tried rerunning AF but get the same problems on the same files.

All galleries contain exclusively .jpg's -- no .gif's or .png's. I have specified a download folder other than the default and all options -- 'Embed IPTC data...', 'Download album descriptions', and 'Skip local files...' -- ticked.

I'm using version 0.2.1 on Windows XP-SP2. I have IE 6.0 installed but I never use it unless absolutely necessary. All appropriate Windows Updates have been applied.

I am pretty good about backing up my photographs (both to multiple external hard disks and to DVDs) but would like to be able to back up my SmugMug galleries as well and AF looks great except these problems.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

--
    Dick
    http://rschofield.smugmug.com/

Thanks for the comments, Dick. The runtime error you describe is the one that has plagued AF since its birth. I still can't replicate it. I suspect it comes from the windows call URLDownloadToFile, which accesses IE programmatically. Can't prove it, though.

As to your MD5 issue... I've seen similar, but I haven't tracked down the source of the issue. I don't know if the MD5 gets calc'ed on the fly by Smugmug when it's requested, or if it gets calc'ed and stored on the original upload and then never again. Something is changing somewhere, but I haven't tested to find where. (Or the issue could be with my MD5 calc - though it seems strange to pass sometimes and fail others.)

The long and short is that I'm pretty lousy with support. AF works "well enough," but not "well." :D I keep thinking someday I'll write something similar that's cross-platform and independent of IE. Just got to find that time.

Thanks for your kind words...
  • clennyclenny Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    I was just wondering if it is possible to fetch an album and only download the "large" photos as opposed to only the original-sized photos.

Thanks
    edited January 5, 2008
    clenny wrote:
    I was just wondering if it is possible to fetch an album and only download the "large" photos as opposed to only the original-sized photos.

Thanks

You have good timing. I'm in the middle of some re-work on AlbumFetcher. I'll be reviewing all the feature requests and putting in what seems reasonable (or doable with my skillset :D). Thanks for the comment!
  • MADDogMADDog Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 6, 2008
    MADDog wrote:
    Greg, This is a great tool. Thank you for developing it! I've been using it to download galleries with captions I added on SM. I like to print contact sheets to get a hard copy of my galleries with the captions. Is there a way to maintain the picture order that I use on SM? I don't arrange the pics by filename. The only way I've been able to do this is manually adding sorting numbers in one of the IPTC fields (usually Object Name) and then sorting by that number. Obviously, this is kind of a pain. Am I missing a way to do this that already exists? Or is this something that could be added. Just wondering.
    Thanks!
    Melissa
    p.s. This is my first post, so my apologies in advance if I commited a faux pas!

Hi Greg! I'm still loving AF - thank you so much for providing this nice tool! I posted the above message back in August but didn't receive a reply. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong since I'm new to posting??? I did see that you're working on an update and still wanted to find out if I could somehow maintain the sorting order from SM when I download files. I usually reposition the files on SM to an order other than the filename. I love the fact that I can get the captions I added on SM and just wanted to maintain the sorting order as well.
    Thanks!
    Melissa
    edited January 6, 2008
    MADDog wrote:
    Hi Greg! I'm still loving AF - thank you so much for providing this nice tool! I posted the above message back in August but didn't receive a reply. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong since I'm new to posting??? I did see that you're working on an update and still wanted to find out if I could somehow maintain the sorting order from SM when I download files. I usually reposition the files on SM to an order other than the filename. I love the fact that I can get the captions I added on SM and just wanted to maintain the sorting order as well.
    Thanks!
    Melissa

Melissa,

Hi, sorry I never responded back in August.

Where are you planning to use the files again? If you're wanting the files to be sorted in Windows the same way they were sorted in SmugMug, I'm not aware of a way to make that happen.

I'd have to look at the sorting info SmugMug provides. I might be able to dump out a text file which gives the order of each image in a particular gallery, but I'm not sure what good that would do toward your end purpose.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding, and we can dialogue some more.
    edited January 11, 2008
    AlbumFetcher v0.3 released
    AlbumFetcher v0.3 is new and improved! Check out the new features at the top of the thread.
    edited January 11, 2008
    And please let me know what you think. This new version has some major sweat equity invested, so I'm hoping people will be pleased with the new features. :D Have a good weekend, folks.
  • scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    wellman wrote:
    And please let me know what you think. This new version has some major sweat equity invested, so I'm hoping people will be pleased with the new features. :D Have a good weekend, folks.

Greg,

Great job, it looks much improved....but it seems to crash when downloading a gallery that has gif files. Lemme know if I can help debug in any way.

-Scott
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
    edited January 12, 2008
    scwalter wrote:
    Greg,

Great job, it looks much improved....but it seems to crash when downloading a gallery that has gif files. Lemme know if I can help debug in any way.

-Scott

Thanks for the bug report. Fixed. Updated to v0.3.1. :D
    edited January 12, 2008
    If anyone had had trouble downloading v0.3.1, sorry about that. I'd uploaded the exe instead of the zip file. Fixed. Happy downloading. thumb.gif
  • bobsobobso Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 21, 2008
    Love the new Album Fetcher! Thanks!

Is there any way to download only those pictures in an album that meet a keyword match?

If not, that would be a very useful feature addition (for me, anyway!).

Bob
    edited January 21, 2008
    bobso wrote:
    Love the new Album Fetcher! Thanks!

Is there any way to download only those pictures in an album that meet a keyword match?

If not, that would be a very useful feature addition (for me, anyway!).

Bob

That's high on the list for the next release. Thanks for the kind words. thumb.gif
  • rkallarkalla Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Greg, thanks for making this available. I found this util very handy. thumb.gif
    edited January 22, 2008
    rkalla wrote:
    Greg, thanks for making this available. I found this util very handy. thumb.gif

Quite welcome. :D
  • smallalieusmallalieu Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 28, 2008
    Thanks for the new version - still getting runtime errors
    wellman wrote:

I was very happy to see the new version when I got onto the forum this morning because I've been having problems downloading (via AlbumFetcher) a few galleries all weekend. I even created new galleries and moved the photos into them - worked for a couple, but I still can't get 3 of them to download properly - I get the runtime error and the app quits.

Thanks for any assistance!
    edited January 28, 2008
    smallalieu wrote:
    I was very happy to see the new version when I got onto the forum this morning because I've been having problems downloading (via AlbumFetcher) a few galleries all weekend. I even created new galleries and moved the photos into them - worked for a couple, but I still can't get 3 of them to download properly - I get the runtime error and the app quits.

Thanks for any assistance!

Can you give me a link? It would also help if the galleries are public. Then I can take a look without you having to divulge your SmugMug credentials. I'll see what I can do.
  • Joel DelanoJoel Delano Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 28, 2008
    This thing has been a lifesaver today. My external hard drive fried and I lost the files for last two galleries I put up. Thankfully I was quickly able to just pull the files back down off my site so I could make disk backups. Thanks again for such a great app.
    edited January 28, 2008
    After seeing the need to make a few points in another thread, I thought I might post some clarification as to how AlbumFetcher behaves when looking for a file size that isn't there...
    • AlbumFetcher gets the list of available URLs from the SmugMug API.
      • If you're logged in as owner, this will be every size (Ti, Th, S, M, L, XL, X2L, X3L, O) for newer galleries and older ones which have been Smugmungified. Older galleries w/o the SmugMungous will have S, M, L, and O.
      • If you're logged in as guest, available image sizes will depend on what the account owner set as their largest publicly available size.
    • So, how are sizes handled?
      • If you're logged in as owner and fetching originals, SmugMug provides always provides owners with original URLs via the API, so AlbumFetcher will go get them.
      • If you're logged in as owner and fetching a SmugMungous size (i.e. XL, X2L, or X3L), AF will look for those first and get the next available (i.e. Large) if it's an old gallery that hasn't been SmugMungified.
      • If you're logged in a guest and try to fetch an image that isn't there (according to the URLs supplied by the API), AF will fetch the largest size that is available.
    Hope this helps clear things up a bit.
    edited January 28, 2008
    This thing has been a lifesaver today. My external hard drive fried and I lost the files for last two galleries I put up. Thankfully I was quickly able to just pull the files back down off my site so I could make disk backups. Thanks again for such a great app.
    Glad to hear it! thumb.gif Sorry about your drive, though.
    edited January 29, 2008
    New version up. See the first post.
    edited January 29, 2008
    A question...

Currently, whenever AlbumFetcher encounters a problem, the dowload stops. My reasoning has been that (1) the code is simpler, and (2) it makes it very obvious that a problem has been encountered.

Is there a big demand out there for an option which would enable the download to continue despite an error?

Thanks for feedback.